Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Dirt Bike Trip from Puertecitos to Gonzaga
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2009 at 02:51 PM

Thanks for the great report, with details!

Wow, you got to meet Alfonsina!!??!! That is way cool...

Puertecitos resort owners are banditos... Ever since Rafael died (1988?), a friendly place has become a rip off, IMO.

Gracias!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2009 at 08:01 PM

May be a rip off but is a beautiful little place.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
BeachBusker

[*] posted on 3-5-2009 at 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWaverunner
Being the complete professionals that they are, they were eager to do this and quickly went out to my truck, dragged out my buddy and slapped handcuffs on him.

Note to self: never ride with BajaWaverunner :lol:

Thanks for the great report and 411 on Puerticitos Resort.
XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 01:52 PM

The cops were thinking that the dreaded Gonzaga road had punished you enough.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2009 at 07:03 PM

Thanks for the report. Too funny about the cops.
cymeryss
Junior Nomad

Mood: So much to see, so little time...

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 08:45 AM

Thanks for the report, good stuff, baja has an adventure for everybody. Probably a lesson for you guys to always take some basic tools, etc.....Happy riding.
gaspipe

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Hola M,

[quote=BajaWaverunner]Finally got some help from some Canadian dirt bikers who had extra links of chain and the tools to fix it.

Thanks again for fixing up my thumb at Gonzaga!!! I'm glad the bike chain held together for you.

We had a good trip, about 1100 miles total. From near the summit of San Pedro Mt. on our way to San Juan de las Pilas in BCS......

Maybe our paths will cross again...?

[Edited on 3-14-2009 by gaspipe]

gaspipe
----------
The original
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 3-14-2009 at 02:17 PM

No stop at Cow Patty's for beers????????????????
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred

Cow Patty's has been closed for a long time... and her new location near Okie's Landing (Miramar) is also deserted... at least from what we have seen our last 3 trips that way.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Cow Patty's has been closed for a long time... and her new location near Okie's Landing (Miramar) is also deserted... at least from what we have seen our last 3 trips that way.

Cow Patty's is closed? Didn't k now that. Where is Okie's Landing (Miramar)????

Bob H
Fred
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info DK. Again you are my hero. I was just down there last Nov. for the fiesta(in SF) and at that time he had a Friday thing. Hot dogs and BYOB. But the people of that town brought more food than anyone could eat. A friend told him he finally got his license and opened in December. They do have a web site, but I will have to dig to find it. Thanks again.
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 01:22 PM
Cow patty has been open for months !

David , you're entitled to your opinion, but it is uninformed and out of bounds ! The owners have spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$ repairing and upgrading the place. Since you are in the dark, you might try a little decorum.

Quote:
By david
Puertecitos resort owners are banditos... Ever since Rafael died (1988?), a friendly place has become a rip off, IMO.

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
Fred
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 07:29 PM

DK.....the site www.cowpatty.net. It does say they are open.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 3-15-2009 at 09:20 PM

great post. I ride my ancient 250 dirt bike around the hills behind Rosarito Beach a lot. Can't tell you how many times I've walked/limped all the way back home after a minor mechanical breakdown. tools? nah...

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 10:01 AM

FRED & BEERCAN:

The last three trips to Gonzaga Bay both Cow Patty locations along the road were deserted.

If she has re-opened... GREAT!

It has been ages since she provided updates on Fred's board.. and with her two locations looking closed, it would seem she had retired.

Now, NOBODY posted here WHEN she opened back up... WHY NOT?

Congratulations on her being back in business... How about some photos? What is the story on the Miramar/ Okie Landing location?

Bob H: Okie's Landing is about 28 miles from Puertecitos... photo of Okie's Landing:

[Edited on 3-16-2009 by David K]

207 044r.JPG - 41kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
David , you're entitled to your opinion, but it is uninformed and out of bounds ! The owners have spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$ repairing and upgrading the place. Since you are in the dark, you might try a little decorum.

Quote:
By david

Did you not have anything to say about this? (what made me react, in agreement from my past experiences there):

"Arrived at Puertecitos on Sataurday evening 2/28 with two dirtbikes in the back of the pickup truck. Stayed at the little motel there right on the bay. $45 per night wich was way overpriced for the accomodations in my opinion. The rooms are very rustic and are more like cabins than rooms. Rooms are small with two twin beds, and a tiolet "nook" area (no doors or curtains so you need to ask your friends to leave when you need to do your business. toilets had running water but the shower and sink running water was not operational. Ate at the restaraunt which just opened for the season that same day - we were told that we were the first customer of the season. Food is OK but overpriced as well. Everything is priced in dollars at the Puertecitos complex so we were unable to take advantage of the favorable exchange rates. Spent an hour in the hot springs which was nice, but the flood lights they put out there are very distracting and make it hard to enjoy the stars."

How about some other observations about Puetrecitos?

beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 11:07 AM
It is in the eyes of the beholders---

They stayed there and they too are entitled to their opinion.
The rooms are rustic but clean! They may seem to be pricey, but you need to keep the costs in mind.
She (Clara) is trying to operate the place alone and has had problems keeping good help. She has spent many dollars cleaning and repairing the ENTIRE village. Then the detractors (buttcracks) who don't want to pay their rent .
I personally invited you and your esposa to be my guests to actually see and visit the new facilities and to date you have not taken me up on that offer.
For you to denigrate the Village is beyond me. Your past experiences are singular and without any depth of knowledge.
You just cannot drive to the gate and turn around and then go on baying at the moon that it is no longer friendly or a rip-off !!! Perhaps you need to go to Sur and really enjoy the RIP OFFS !!!!! I have been there (Cabo & East Cape) many times and I will not be returning !!

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
Fred
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 01:36 PM

DK.........I loved Puertecitos. Went down last November after the camaron party in SF. The female I was following down knew of a small cove where we camped for 6 days and saw no one until we went on day 7 to the mini mart in town and to the party at Cow Patty's. We went to the hot pools of water in town and that small sotre carried a great deal of goddies for being so small. It was a tad windy, but the beer was cold. Also the small campground you told me about at KM32 was the only downer. No one camping and he wanted $210(US)/week for the 2 vans.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 05:36 PM

Thanks you fellers for the information that I missed from your previous posts (?)... I still would like to see some photos of Cow Patty's open... I shouldn't be the only one resonsible for photo taking, should I?

Beercan, we have not had enough days free to take up your invitation... no other reason than that.

I have stayed at Puertecitos a few times since we first overnighted in their cabins in 1967...

It was in the cantina at Puertecitos that I saw the Challenger shuttle disaster on their satellite TV, over 20 years ago...

We used to enjoy the hot springs and gave the cantina business... Up until 1992-3, when everything there changed following Rafael's death. We arrived with friends in the evening after a long rough drive to find the area fenced off and locked...

The next time we were in the area, they asked for money... even though I only wanted to take photos for the Internet (would promote their site, afterall)... no thanks, I don't pay to do someone a favor or access the federal zone. I would gladly buy some beer or food, however...

The place IS dusty old fishing resort, a bunch of old gringo trailers with road signs for decorations, and a newer group of Mexican residents over the years have added to the gringo part-timers.

Elizabeth and I had some good birria at the taco stand there in '05 and '06... that was along the road. Interesting that even the new highway avoids the place... so any Mexicans who hoped for more business in Puertecitos are out of luck, unless people detour through town. I heard it was the 'owner' of Puertecitos (Clara?) who refused to permit the paved road to pass through 'her' town...?

If Clara has changed that the WHY don't YOU guys show us? Is there still a fee to enter 'her' land or will she appeal to our dollars with services we would use?

I would like nothing more than to say good things about the place... but, I won't if there is no evidence.

Fair enough?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2009 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
... Also the small campground you told me about at KM32 was the only downer. No one camping and he wanted $210(US)/week for the 2 vans.

The normal camping fee has been $20 for the past 5 years.

Hmmm... $20 per vehicle per day for 7 days is $280... So he knocked off $70, and you were upset?

If all that beautiful sand and shade trees isn't your cup of tea, then I am happy the scenery at Puertecitos appealed to you!

806 007r.JPG - 26kB

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.