Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cheap way to Loreto
LoretoKat

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 10:24 AM
Cheap way to Loreto

I am trying to find the cheapest way to Loreto. I am thinking about flying to Cabo or La Paz then driving to Loreto. Would renting a car or taking a bus better? Any suggestions would be great appreciated!
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 10:29 AM

this is a serious question??? cheaper...bus. hands down. there must be other parameters. am sure Nomads would be willing to help if we had more data. welcome to the board, enjoy your trip.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 11:27 AM

where are you starting from?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 12:35 PM

how do you plan to get around loreto without a car???

add that in to the mix...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
this is a serious question??? cheaper...bus. hands down. there must be other parameters. am sure Nomads would be willing to help if we had more data. welcome to the board, enjoy your trip.

I'm going to retract my statement. bus fare La Paz to Loreto is 410 pesos one way. bus fare Cabo to La Paz ? first one has to collectivo or taxi to the bus station either San Jose or Cabo and I think the bus fare alone runs 200-300 or more on the Executivo. you need to check with the rental car people and see what it would cost to pick a car up at the airport and drop it in Loreto...or keep it until your return flight.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 01:12 PM

If it is an option, get to Tijuana and take a bus from there, approx. cost is $100. I have taken the bus both ways from here in Loreto and enjoyed it.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 04:07 PM

I would actually weigh in here except for the fact that the original poster has not responded. Later.......
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
If it is an option, get to Tijuana and take a bus from there, approx. cost is $100. I have taken the bus both ways from here in Loreto and enjoyed it.

I think this would be the cheapest way to loreto.. Did it many times before AeroCalifornia began service..
I like the 6pm bus out TJ..got me into loreto about 9am the next morning.. In those days, it was about $35 one way:spingrin:

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2009 at 06:25 PM

The cheapest way to get to Loreto is to drive yourself down there

In Memory of E-57
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 09:51 AM

The Cost to get to to Loreto or La Paz from TJ by bus should include the cost of a hotel/motel for an overnight stay. I did it by bus once and almost died (exageration). It is about an 18 hour ordeal. I wouldn't think of doing it in one straight trip without an overnight stay somewhere. If you take my advice and stay the night in some hotel to break up the bus ride, then there is the cost of the hotel and the personal cost of time for taking two days to get to Loreto or La Paz, whatever that might be to you.

Final analysis (to get to La Paz) - Fly Volaris. If you are going to get to TJ to begin your trip, may as well go the TJ airport and fly on Volaris to La Paz. Cost for a round trip Volaris airfare (TJ - La Paz) can run from $184 to $260 USD. I drive to Otay, park my car at a Otay Park and Shuttle for $5 USD per day and pay $30 for the round trip shuttle service from the parking lot to/from the TJ airport. All things considered, I haven't a cheaper/easier way to get to La Paz.

Loreto - a different story. I don't know of any cheap/easy way to get there accept to drive it yourself and use a compact car that gets at least 33 miles per gallon. That way you will have cheap daily transportation too. You will have to buy Mexican auto insurance. It's expensive in my opinion if you get insurance at the border for daily coverage ($13 - $18 USD/day). Before I got a house in La Paz, I used to buy an annual auto ins policy for under $150 USD/Yr because I would travel to Loreto several times per year. Also, I would stay in a low costing motel for one overnight stay ($23 USD/night) midway through the trip.

This all brings up another related issue for me. I have never understood why anyone would deliberately buy a Baja house not close to an airport. I have never understood why anyone would purposely impose the problem (and the additional expense) of having to go throuhg the logistical nuisance and cost of getting from a Mexican airport to their distant home. People that own a place in Todos Santos or Mulege come to mind.

[Edited on 6-19-2009 by MitchMan]
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 12:16 PM

This all brings up another related issue for me. I have never understood why anyone would deliberately buy a Baja house not close to an airport. I have never understood why anyone would purposely impose the problem (and the additional expense) of having to go throuhg the logistical nuisance and cost of getting from a Mexican airport to their distant home. People that own a place in Todos Santos or Mulege come to mind.

The WHY is to keep down on the visitors, I moved to Mulegé to get away from it all, not to invite it all to join me

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 12:54 PM

I hear what you're saying, Richard. I also understand Mitch's point. Just don't think he used the right examples. Case in point, Mulege is only about 85 miles from Loreto, and no traffic to speak of. Todos is about 70 miles from San Jose, albeit with considerable traffic in certain areas. Todos is only about 50 miles from La Paz. Much more choice for international flights at San Jose. Anyone try driving the 405 to LAX at any time other than 2am? Mitch's point would certainly apply to folks living in places like BOLA or Asuncion. But I'm certain they would echo Richard's sentiment.

[Edited on 6-19-2009 by Bajahowodd]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 01:41 PM

Loreto is a walkable town. But it's a long walk to Mulege or anyplace else. Rental cars don't come cheap. Drive if you can. It's an adventure! Enjoy it!!!
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 02:34 PM

Mitch

I have taken the bus from tijuana to loreto many times and found the trip to be quite easy. I suppose if you cant sleep on a bus it would be different. Stops are frequent enough to avoid use of the bus bano (not the best), and most stops had food and drinks. An overnight stay is not needed at all.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 02:39 PM

As if it matters, the person who started this thread on 6/10, has never returned. But hey, an opportunity for sharing ideas!
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 03:23 PM

backninedan:

You are right, I can't sleep on a bus.

I like La Paz, I really like Loreto, but I love Mulege. It's real Baja Mexico with all the ethnicity and down home culture, quaintness, and earthly living that I like to be around. Fishing is great and very easy to get to. When I spend time in Mulege, I feel like I am truly in another country (that is to say, not NOB).

As a commuter to the Baja (i.e., not a full time Baja resident), I just can't get past the additional cost and effort it takes to get from the Loreto airport to Mulege. Before I became semi-retired, I really had to work for a living and getting time off work wasn't easy especially when balancing life with a wife and dependent kids and a job and a mortgage... I could just barely get away to go to Loreto to fish as it was. Am I the only one around who doesn't have the time and money to get away to Loreto to fish any and every time I want for as long as I want?

To get to Mulege from the Loreto airport, don't you have to take a taxi to the bus stop, wait for and take the bus to mulege, then after the three or four hour bus ride (sometimes without air conditioning in the dead of summer), get dropped off at the entrance to Mulege and then have to walk to your living accommodations? I don't know how often the bus leaves from Loreto to Mulege, once and hour or is it less frequent. How much is the bus ride? $20 USD? What if you had to bring some bulky stuff with you, then you would have to schlep all that stuff eith you. Then, when you leave for home to the US, do the whole thing in reverse and hope that you don't have a timing problem and not miss the right bus or have trouble getting a taxi in a reliably timely basis from the Loreto bus depot to the Loreto airport and thereby miss your plane's departure time?

The above is the least costly way to do it. Renting a car would be even more expensive.

Am I missing something? I must be missing something because no one ever brings up this issue. I mean, I am seriously curious as to what people do who have vacation homes in Mulege or Todo Santos to handle these logistics. The only thing that I can think of is that I am in the minority and that everyone else has all the time in the world and all the money in the world such that they can come and go to Mulege or T.D. any time they want, take as much time as they want, and an extra $100 to $300 dollars for local transportation per trip is of abslolutely no concern at all.

Please, somebody, talk me down on this.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
As if it matters, the person who started this thread on 6/10, has never returned.

Maybe LoretoKat discovered the "cheapest" way to get there is to walk and there are very few internet cafes in the middle of nowhere.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 03:40 PM

MitchMan, Most of 'em have a friend meet 'em at the airport and haul 'em to Mulege or Todos Santos where they have a vehicle in storage at their seasonal casa.:D You're not in the minority. :biggrin:
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 6-19-2009 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan

Luckily, this is a built in buffer, as Richard says. Not only does it make Mulege more peaceful, but it keeps the big developers away. Unless you have a house in Mulege, it is not an ultimate destination for most travelers.

Shhhhhh! ;D

elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2009 at 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
how do you plan to get around loreto without a car???

add that in to the mix...

Loreto is a pretty small town. I get around Loreto just fine without a car. I live in el centro and walk to wherever I need to go...if it's too far I use a taxi.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.