Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Low cost Panga Fishing
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 08:46 AM
Low cost Panga Fishing

Hi all,
I am going to La Paz in July and August. Want to take my son fishing. Anyone know a panguero that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for two people?

I guess another way to ask the question is "Does anyone have recommendations for panga fishing fleets that charge less than the going rate of $250 to $350 per day per boat" in La Paz?

I am not a monied guy, but I love to fish. With the bad economy and related slow down of tourism down south, I would think that pangueros would be inclined to lower rates, but everytime I walk into a shop that offers panga fishing it's always the same prices as mentioned above.

Any and all suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
TonyC
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 09:34 AM

$250.00....is a good price for inshore fishing. If you want to do better, cut out the middle man, and talk directly with the pangueros. I' ve fished for $150.00- $175.00 bucks, but after tips still around $200.00.

However, I have my own gear, know exactaly what I want, and know how to fish. If you don't, and need more from the panguero, the price you posted is fair.

I also kick down some gear...line, lures..small stuff, but enough to be remembered as not a high maintenance customer.

[Edited on 6-22-2009 by TonyC]

[Edited on 6-22-2009 by TonyC]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 09:51 AM

Two easy road trips from La Paz to Bay of Dreams (Giggling Marlin) will get you what you want: first trip to make the deal, pick out a boat and captain, learn the location, drive time. Second trip to fish, pay the $120 bucks for the day.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 09:52 AM

Thanks, TonyC

$150 to $200 is a good improvement. I have my own tackle and gear and experience, so I just need a panguero to put me on fish. Any suggestions on where to locate the actual pangueros without going through the middleman?

I know that alot of the sportfishing offices on the malecon in La Paz simply take their guests on an hour ride to Pichilingue and launch from their. I have never been there, but I think that I have heard that it is a little fishing village. I was thinking of driving out there to Pichilingue myself the day before a day of fishing to see if I could talk directly to one of those pangueros and negotiate a reasonable deal.

Their was another post recently on another subject area wherein a member wrote that Loreto is really suffering from very low levels of tourism and that pangueros were more than willing to bargain. First time I have heard that. Wondering if it is true? If it is true, I have got to believe that La Paz would be in the same boat, so to speak.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 10:06 AM

Big Thanks, Osprey.:biggrin:
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 03:22 PM

Try Lucero in Los Planes. But bring your own gear if you can. His stuff is the typical beat to crap gringo discard gear.
He fishes out of Muertos.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 04:40 PM

Joe Buck, my post was to try to get the fellow Nomad oriented and connected by going out there. You don't give much info on your mysterious Lucero, his boat, his price. Rethink it and maybe you'll have better and more current info for Mitch than I do. So far your info is "Look out for a guy in Los Planes who has bad equipment" -- not much help Joe.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Joe Buck, my post was to try to get the fellow Nomad oriented and connected by going out there. You don't give much info on your mysterious Lucero, his boat, his price. Rethink it and maybe you'll have better and more current info for Mitch than I do. So far your info is "Look out for a guy in Los Planes who has bad equipment" -- not much help Joe.

Well, I don't know much more. Except I liked fishing with him.
I stayed at Kurt and Marina's in La Ventana last May and Kurt set it up for me.
It cost $150 I think and I bought a scoop of bait at Muertos for $15-20.
Kurt and Marina have a webpage with email. Maybe Kurt can set you up.
But if you went to the boat ramp at Muertos I'm sure you could find Lucero or somebody else for the $150-200/day.
Luceros boat was a standard 22 foot panga with the middle bench seat cutout with 2 fiberglass chairs mounted on swivels.
A smokey 2-stroke motor etc.
So ya gets what you pay for. But we still caught fish!
He spoke some english and was a good guy.\
If you set it up in La Paz you could easily pay $300+ a day.

www.http://kurtnmarina.com

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by fishbuck]

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 06:33 PM

This time of year I believe they have all moved up to Las Arenas so you could be hard-presed to try to find someone to strike a deal with at Muertos.

I realize the price you are quoted by a simple stop in one of the sportfishing businesses may seem high initially but remember that price typically includes all of the related services that they offer. Ie; transportation to and from Muertos or Las Arenas, fishing cleaning, breakfast, box lunch, vacuum sealing and freezing your catch.

I know both Dave at FF and Jonathan at TH and I think if you discussed exactly what you are looking for and what you can provide on your own they can provide a comparable deal to one you might strike on the beach. Remember they want to keep their Captains employed and they are both great guys that offer a great service and always do their best to meet the needs of their customers.

Simply owning a panga doesn't make someone a good guide. You are going fishing in what is still one of great sportfishing areas in the world. I'd hate to see you ruin a chance for a fishing trip of a lifetime just to quibble over a few dollars. My income is equally tight right now but I try to economize in the right areas.

In Memory of E-57
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 06:55 PM

That is true Alan. For a new or inexperienced fisherman you can't go wrong with the in town companies. You basically just need to get in the van and then the boat and they will do everything except reel in the fish. So ya, it's a few buck extra but those guys are good.

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
That is true Alan. For a new or inexperienced fisherman you can't go wrong with the in town companies. You basically just need to get in the van and then the boat and they will do everything except reel in the fish. So ya, it's a few buck extra but those guys are good.

Well I'm not new or inexperienced but I have seen and unfortunately fished with lots of guys that have a panga and think they are a Captain :lol:

I prefer the panguero that when 10 miles out from the closest point of land can triangulate and know when he is 10' off his rock and reposition every time he drifts off it. Or one that is competent enough in boat handling that when you have a double hookup on marlin and one heads north while other heads south and you boat both of them.

The point was they seemed so close in price. He indicated he would be happy with a $200 panga and I have fished with Dave all inclusive for $250. I assumed there could be some room for both sides to move and he would have a better chance at a great trip.

In Memory of E-57
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 6-22-2009 at 07:36 PM

a no risk deal; mateo at the mouth of the river in mulege for $150 for the day...the man is a fish sniffer!...he can catch a fish in a sink, amigo...do not hesitate!...

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 06:55 AM

Hey,
Thanks to all of you who have responded to my question. I am very grateful for the great advice. I will research all the suggestions and when I get back from La Paz, I will comment on what I experienced.
jamesdbeckjr

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 12:11 PM

Lalo Aviles La Ventana fishing English, enthusiastic, hard working, I have fished with him several years and would highly recommend- new honda 90( March 09) on 23' panga from US 011 52 612 114 0335 or o11 1612 151 9921 in Mexico 01 612 114 0335 or 044 612 151 9921 $160 Jim Beck

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2009 at 12:21 PM

Thanks, Jim. Great recommendation!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 02:44 PM

Paying to be hauled out to catch a fish or two? Baja? Nope! Only in Alaska! Those big halibut make it worth while.:D
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 03:01 PM

Cypress, behave yourself! If you really want to turn a discussion negative go north with it. I'm sure there are enough redneck bigots in North Idaho you can irritate. I know you have read enough trolls here to know the difference between participating and irritating.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 03:17 PM

Russ, You're a true nomad. A fraction of your input and pictures are worth more than you know. I'll shut up, stand down, step aside, and take my hat off to you. Good luck with your endeavors!
bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 07:05 PM

I just got back from La Paz. This was my third trip. I have fished with Baja Pirates (leonard@bajapiratesoflapaz.com) two times and once with Gerardo - Tortuga (tortuga@hotmail.com). Both offer package deals at reasonable prices and have good Captains that put you on fish. Like Alan and fishbuck said above - it's no hassle and includes all the services he described above. The ride to Pichiligue is about 30 minutes and I didn't see any pangas for hire. That is where Baja Pirates dock their Triumph center consoles. It's just past the Ferry dock. I know Jonathan and he is a straight up guy who can hook you up too (tailhuntress@tailhunter-international.com). All 3 have good websites - just Google them.

This time of the year all the pangas are now beached at La Ventana which is a 40 - 45 minute ride from the Malecon. You need to leave La Paz about 5 AM. They will fish anywhere from the shark bouys, about 10 - 15 miles out, in between Isla Ceralvo and La Ventana and inshore along by the lighthouse or south of Ensenada de los Muertos. We fished two days out of La Ventana - 1 day offshore with dodos to 50 pounds and all you could catch, then 1 day inshore with tons of pez gallo crashing on bait.

Bait is plentiful out of La Ventana and about $20. The 3rd day we fished out of Pichilingue and it took the bait guys about an hour to get bait - so that is a big delay. Same price though.

Juan Carlos Barroso was our Captain one day and speaks very good English if you don't speak Spanish and I am sure he can hook you up with a panga (044 612 1540678).

We had the driver take us to Bahia de los Muertos (now called Bahia de los Suenos so it doesn't sound bad to the gringos they are selling property to) to Giggling Marlin for a beer after fishing which is not far from La Ventana because we had drank all our beer and couldn't imagine the 45 minute ride back without a cold one.

You need your own gear if you are not fishing with one of the outfits as the pangeros usually handline it and I never saw much in the way of gear unless we or the outfitter brought it in.

Email me if you need more details, costs, or have any questions.

bajajurel
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 6-24-2009 at 07:07 PM

Nice report Jurel!

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.