Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: The Americanization of Mexico/La Baja
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2009 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Hey Skeet/Loreto !
So you say Liberals like to play the "Blame Game". Ever listen to Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Dennis Prager, Bill O'Reilly, Hugh Hewitt, or Fox News? If "Blame" didn't exist, Rush Limbaugh's radio show would be over after the first 5 minutes. In fact, Conservatives ("Cons" for short) use blame so much, that most of their conversations are diatribes against their political opposition filled with slogan philosophy and name calling. Rush Limbaugh, your mentor and ideological leader of the Cons, is the king of pet phrases and name calling.:P

[Edited on 4-15-2009 by MitchMan]

Do you have any real proof of this? I think the people you listed are only explaining what really is going on in the world. You know the things the drive by major media outlets fail to tell us. Things like Sen. Dodd putting the amendment into the bill to pay out the bonus money. Rush told about that three days before the major networks did. If the Con's, as you call them, had not talked about Obama bowing to the king would we have ever found out? Maybe not. Of course Obama's people are saying it was not a bow. Have you seen the video? looks like a bow to me, unless he was tying his shoes straight legged.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2009 at 05:24 PM

TW,
I disagree with your assessment that the people I mentioned were merely "...explaining what really is going on in the world". If their agenda and practice is to explain, then why are they so one sided? Explanations of "things going on in the world" are not limited to the Con's perspectives.

I listen almost exclusively to conservative talk radio and I watch alot of the conservative talk shows on TV. Their talking points leave out alot of "things going on in the world" that are unfavorable to the Cons'perspectives. When they do give air time to something that doesn't support their point of view, they invariably put a biased spin on it and then move on quickly.

BTW, Sen. Dodd's amendment was most certainly aired on what you probably refer to as "drive by major media". That was all over the news on every TV channel more than once. Also, Obama's gesture was most certainly a bow. It looked funny (odd) and awkward and I think that the king was a bit surprised. I think that it would have been better if Obama hadn't done it. But, you know what TW, I can't think of a news item that is more UNIMPORTANT and without import than that to make an issue of. But, that is the kind of thing that Cons go on about, over and over, especially Limbaugh and Hannity who are exclusively one sided on everything that they say.

Now, educated guys like Hugh Hewitt or Michael Medved or Dennis Praeger, they will mention the bow, but they won't go on and on about it. Their motis operandi is to take more substantive issues, disect it intellectually, posit their point of view, and then support their point of view with facts and circumstances as they see it. I can appreciate that. That's why I listen to them. I just disagree with them on most all things, but I appreciate intelligent dialogue. Can't say that about Limbaugh.
Skip_Mac
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2009 at 09:17 PM

Thanks Mitch, It's nice to see a balance of opinion here once in a while. The "white wing whacko" tirades are sooo tiring. I would prefer a politics free Baja Nomad forum, but since the tightie righties won't let that happen... a balance is the best option.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 12:08 AM

You need to take most of this crap off-topic. As for the Mexicanization of America :yes:, There have been many posts about the food. Sadly, as there has been a widespread poverty in Mexico for decades, there arose a survival diet of tortillas, rice and beans, complimented with what little other protein that was available. Think of the main ingredient of menudo, for example. Many peasant dishes seek to use leftovers of the protein. Way too much of what our friends in the United States, think of as "Mexican Food", is really, survival food. Loaded with carbs and fat, and cheap. The much smaller ruling class in Mexico, enjoy many items devoid of beans and lard. Yes. There are a zillion great Mexican dishes consisting of fresh seafood, prime meats, fresh vegetables and gourmet spices. Unfortunately, for way too many gringos, Mexican food is synonymous with refried beans, cheese and lard.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 4-26-2009 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skip_Mac
Thanks Mitch, It's nice to see a balance of opinion here once in a while. The "white wing whacko" tirades are sooo tiring. I would prefer a politics free Baja Nomad forum, but since the tightie righties won't let that happen... a balance is the best option.

In the martial arts, a very effective tactic is to use the momentum of your enemy as they charge full steam ahead (which is all THEY know how to do). All you have to do is take one step aside and their own momentum carries them over the cliff.

They start it. We don't have to participate in the name calling, etc., but as long as they continue to bring it to this forum, it is fun once in awhile to poke them in the eye with a stick. Ooops! I forgot to step aside.

Here's to the "tightie righties"(thank you, Skip_Mac): :P Sorry, there isn't a smilie for the middle finger.

ELPESCADOR

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 03:02 PM

As a Mexican, born and raised in Rosarito and Tijuana, currently living in Monterrey, I've found that we Mexicans like what a starbucks and a Costco represent; it's not that we are losing "nuestra mexicaneidad" our mexicanity, its just we're enjoying different aspects and at the same time we look at it as progress, as mentioned before.
You can go to starbucks one day, the next day you can go to La Michoacana por un litro de agua de horchata; or both the same day. You can have tacos de cabeza one day, and a carl's jr. burguer the next (with a lot of jalapeños or some salsa)
I do believe that obesity and some other problems are our own responsibility, not any other country.

ps. look up for the story on Cheetos Flaming Hot (with lime).

DANIEL SÁNCHEZ
EL PESCADOR
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 03:46 PM

Five O'clock Charlie is a little early today.
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 05:12 PM

Gee, watch all the little fishies jump at the bait.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 06:49 PM
Reaching The Goal of Americanization

I'm waiting for the day when you can pull into any good-sized Mexican town to find Arby's, McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, KFC (or, better, Popeye's), Waffle House AND the food tastes the same as it does in the U.S.

Nirvana will have been achieved.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2009 at 07:50 PM

You can have any restaurant you want, but if the air smells like sewage while walking down the street, Americanization has yet to take hold.
Bronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2009 at 02:48 PM
Righton Mitch

Quote:
Hey Skeet/Loreto !
So you say Liberals like to play the "Blame Game". Ever listen to Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Dennis Prager, Bill O'Reilly, Hugh Hewitt, or Fox News? If "Blame" didn't exist, Rush Limbaugh's radio show would be over after the first 5 minutes. In fact, Conservatives ("Cons" for short) use blame so much, that most of their conversations are diatribes against their political opposition filled with slogan philosophy and name calling. Rush Limbaugh, your mentor and ideological leader of the Cons, is the king of pet phrases and name calling.:P

Im with you but the problem is I can't find a logical,intelligent,humorous,reasonable,truthful and of course honest liberal on the radio. Maybe I should get a TV, I heard of a guy name Combs ? Nah hate TV.

Bronco

[Edited on 8/3/2009 by Bronco]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2009 at 06:31 PM
A Guy Named Combs ?

Probably a Bald guy, right ?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 01:13 PM

I am with you Bronco. I can't find any liberals on the radio either. Very sad.

About Americanization of Mexico, well, I guess it is inevitable. Just got back from a month in Europe and things are getting very Americanized there as well. I think that due to the absolute effectiveness of the internet, the media being broadcast all over the world, movies and affordable transportation, much of the world is becoming very Americanized. Actually, I think it is westernization that is happening and that the world culture is becoming homogenized. Think of it, most all clothing worn is modern western clothing, fast food is everywhere and is becoming the choice of the younger generation everywhere, we all know and listen to the same pop music artists, movie stars, and we all drive the same cars. Life style is very similar. Mexico is no exception here. The world economy is finding its way into many countries. Mexico used to be cheap, it's not anymore. Food is generally the same price, manufactured goods are more expensive in Mexico, real estate prices are creaping up according to a world market effect.

The way I see it now, is that the western countries are becoming one culturally in many visible ways and the economics (costs) of things are following suit. I recently drove from San Diego to La Paz. Stopped off at various restaurants to eat and noticed a lot of french fries, cokes, and hamburgers being eaten by the locals. It is harder and harder to find a restaurant that serves authentic, low costing , down home mexican food. Hell, I am even having trouble finding a decent serving of frijoles and menudo. 20 years ago, much easier.

In England, every fourth restaurant is a pizza parlour or Italian restaurant. I had to look really hard to find the classic "fish and chips" we thought they ate everywhere. Found only one place in Scottland, Edinburgh.

[Edited on 8-19-2009 by MitchMan]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2009 at 09:50 PM
Unfortunately.......................

Mexico will NEVER be Really Americanized, despite how many Gringo-Food restaurants appear to make it possible to avoid Tacos etc.

I realized that watching a favored History Channel rerun tonight on "American Eats". The subject was Barbecue.

The GREATEST of American Cooking.

Since it's difficult to find good B-B-Q NORTH of the Border in California, it's pretty unlikely to EVER happen in Baja.

And, who could REALLY be sure what they were eating ?

As an aside, one of the GREAT lines I'd forgotten about from that segment was when one of the aficionados described the McDonalds McRib sandwich as Faux-Cue. He said that whenever offered one he always says "Faux-Cue".
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
I am with you Bronco. I can't find any liberals on the radio either. Very sad. ...

Because who wants to hear "how BAD America is" for three hours?

'Informative, Funny, Uplifting, America's greatness and opportinaties for all' are what one hears on successful talk radio shows.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 07:26 AM

Quote:

I recently drove from San Diego to La Paz. Stopped off at various restaurants to eat and noticed a lot of french fries, cokes, and hamburgers being eaten by the locals. It is harder and harder to find a restaurant that serves authentic, low costing , down home mexican food. Hell, I am even having trouble finding a decent serving of frijoles and menudo. 20 years ago, much easier.

[Edited on 8-19-2009 by MitchMan]

Come to Bakersfield and drive down Union Ave, plenty of frijoles and menudo. Everywhere there is Rico Menudo.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 07:43 AM

Just got back from a trip to Calif.
San Francisco people now call themselves "Socalist"

Gilroy is now the Asian Captial of Calif.

The Mexicanos own all the good Jobs in the Central Valley/

And you can get great menudo in Los Banos.

And I was still ask to Translate while in the Wells Fargo Bank in Los Banos.{where most of the employees are Mexicano".

It is not about Mexico getting Amercianised, it is about America getting Mexicanised!!!!!

You Young Punk Liberals have only yourself to blame for these days,, your lack of Morals, DOPE, and inability to think has caused all of your problems.

Only God can hepl you Now. Amen

Skeet
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 08:04 AM
Blame game

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
I found this to be a very interesting book ...:saint:

IN THE SHADOW OF THE GIANT

The Americanization Of Modern Mexico

By Joseph Contreras

Rutgers Univ. 276 pp. $24.95

....... But he is most troubled that Americanization "has infected" Mexico with "three quintessentially American social diseases": HIV, illegal drug use and obesity... He is less impressed with Mexicans' eating habits, blaming American-style fast food and junk snacks for the fact that more than half of Mexican women between the ages of 18 and 49 are now overweight.... At the same time, America's "insatiable demand" for illegal drugs has given rise to cartels responsible for thousands of killings in Mexico each year.... Overall, however, Contreras believes that Americanization has done Mexico more good than harm.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto

Just got back from a trip to Calif.
San Francisco people now call themselves "Socalist"

Gilroy is now the Asian Captial of Calif.

The Mexicanos own all the good Jobs in the Central Valley/

And you can get great menudo in Los Banos.

And I was still ask to Translate while in the Wells Fargo Bank in Los Banos.{where most of the employees are Mexicano".

It is not about Mexico getting Amercianised, it is about America getting Mexicanised!!!!!

You Young Punk Liberals have only yourself to blame for these days,, your lack of Morals, DOPE, and inability to think has caused all of your problems.

Only God can hepl you Now. Amen
Skeet

This seems SO complicated. Author Joseph Contreras blames the USA for major problems in Mexico: HIV, obesity, illegal drugs, and cartel violence.

Skeet also blames the USA (specifically, the San Francisco crowd, the Asians in Gilroy, the Mexicans in the Valley, and Wells Fargo Bank.

Is Mexico getting Americanized? Or, is America getting Mexicanized?

For good measure, let's bash the young, immoral, dope-smoking, non-thinkers who wallow in the problems they're created.

Is there any hope for Humanity?

Seriously, California and Mexico deserve each other. Mexicans want in. I'm not sure what Californians want. Maybe that the Mexicans should leave? Perhaps they should take the young Californians with them?

Where's Rodney King when we need him?
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 08:35 AM

Skeet, You are so full of caca your eyes are brown....

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2009 at 08:51 AM

Have you guys tried Mexican KFC? I have, the secret recipe lost something in the translation. YUK!!

Colonel Sanders would not be happy.

And the take out pizzas are way too expensive, except for dos para uno Martes at (I think) Mama Mia pizza.

And what's with Mexican ground beef (carne de misterio)?

Mexicans do make good hotdogs though!!! As we all know.

[Edited on 8-20-2009 by k-rico]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.