Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Reminds me of the cartel built Rosarito pinhead Jesus on the toll road thanking God for all the American drug users. :spingrin:

"Pinhead Jesus" is sure to get you time in Purgatory, at least. :lol::lol: Ohhh, the disrespect of it all. :lol:

checkout the size of the head, it's about the same size as his hands, that's what I meant, no disrespect, I want a boarding pass.

ahhh! Bowling Pin Head! Now I get it. ... maybe not. :spingrin:

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDove
Voodoo works. If you believe the mind makes it happen, and if i'm killed believing, ... the murderer better never look back or stop moving. I'll nail him in the most in humane way. The mind lives longer than the body.

saying all that with a Dove avatar?:?::?::?:

:lol::lol::lol: so much for peace!!!!!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2010 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by noproblemo2
Well following on the Jesus statue, what about the mermaid house in the Puerto Nuevo area? Any connections? The naked mermaid is a bit odd to see when driving south.:?::?:

No. No connection. The reclining lady with the big rack does have a connection to some other art project somewhere in a ravine in Tijuana. It's been covered in the press a few times.
I don't know if it's my immagination or what, but the mermaid [is that what it's supposed to be?] was a bit more upright before we had some kick-ass winds one year. Kinda laid her back a bit, so to speak.
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 07:05 AM

Maybe someone is building her couterpart??? :spingrin::spingrin:

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 07:15 AM
What's next, voodoo economics? and foxholes

Quote:
HA! Great stuff.

Mexico's often poorly armed police are intimidated by hitmen with automatic rifles, grenades and rocket launchers and despite low wages of around $300 a month some pay up to $160 for a tattoo of a Voodoo spirit like the three-horned Bosou Koblamin who protects his followers when they travel at night.

Voodoo tattoos??

What's next, voodoo economics?

The other day I was in downtown San Diego and I drove too far east on Broadway looking for a 5 south onramp. Must have saw 20 tattoo parlors in 5 blocks. Tats are in these days. Me? I've always considered them "identifying marks".

And what do you think the big rush to Haiti was all about.. did not see the same action for the poor folks down in Chili.. or was it that folks were just to tired from doing shift on all the help for the poor folks in Haiti or was is the distance and weather or was it something else...

Also very true.. There are no atheists in a foxholes !!!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
And what do you think the big rush to Haiti was all about.. did not see the same action for the poor folks down in Chili.. or was it that folks were just to tired from doing shift on all the help for the poor folks in Haiti or was is the distance and weather or was it something else...

I believe Chile got assistance when they asked for it. They declined help at first, but they eventually did ask. They have an emergency response program in place, in spite of it's shortcomings.
They can't be compared with Haiti.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup

I believe Chile got assistance when they asked for it. They declined help at first, but they eventually did ask. They have an emergency response program in place, in spite of it's shortcomings.
They can't be compared with Haiti.

No comparison- even with the voodoo factor...

Haiti was a corrupt armpit, even before the quake. Aristides did a number on the people and they had nothing even BEFORE the quake struck. If vodoo worked for them before the quake- I don't see how. The $Billions Haiti needs isn't really for quake repairs, it's for nation-building- giving them the infrastructure they never had. They are trying to con the world into paying for what their own leaders wouldn't do for them before. I found it very telling that the DR didn't lift a finger to help Haiti- and they share half that island. The crime has returned to Haiti- with mass rapes of women in the tent camps. Pretty much the same as before the quake and likely any money that goes to them for projects won't filter down to the people until everyone takes their cut first... just like before.

Chile has had its share of political problems and corruption too. But at least they have a stable political system, solid quake-coded infrastructure and strong food supply. Their needs were very different- just connecting the infrastructure dots back together again and a helping hand- not nation building from scratch. Even so- their neighbors/enemies next door in Argentina didn't lend a hand after the quake either.

So the country that leaned on voodoo didn't do so well. Maybe the gods were punishing them for that. Maybe my JoHo neighbors will take a one way road trip to Haiti to enlighten them... :o

[Edited on 3-20-2010 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 11:56 AM

Haiti is a complex issue, France and the USA are culpable for a lot of the problems there, from the unreasonable demands for reparations of former slave owners for the loss of their slaves to the backing of the corrupt Duvaliers.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2010 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Haiti is a complex issue, France and the USA are culpable for a lot of the problems there, from the unreasonable demands for reparations of former slave owners for the loss of their slaves to the backing of the corrupt Duvaliers.

When all is said and done, People always get the government they deserve. If you are collectively so passive as to not mount a full revolution when oppressed, you deserve being subservient to your "leaders".

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2010 at 08:35 PM

Hola, i ask for SPIRITS to take care of me every night after 5 p.m. ( martini time as my friend says ) but my SPIRIT is SCOTCH ! HA-HA-HA

don't know how to put the little guy with smiles on his face, sorry !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:

When all is said and done, People always get the government they deserve. If you are collectively so passive as to not mount a full revolution when oppressed, you deserve being subservient to your "leaders".
The Haitians did mount a full revolution against the French and won their freedom, then Napoleon came back with troops and massive firepower and they were forced to agree to pay the equivalent of 22 billion dollars to their former slave masters. This agreement was enforced by the US and our allies with the last payment being made in 1947. In order to make these draconian payments they stripped the land of it's timber and other resources. Then Haitians had to endure decades of the brutal and corrupt Duvaliers who had the full support and backing of the good old USA in the same manner as we backed other brutal and corrupt dictators in the region. Now we sit back in our easy chairs and say," Those people are stupid, lazy, F-ed up or whatever for not changing their situations. I'm sorry, it's just not that easy, thousands tried and were brutally killed for it. Unfortunately, the interests of the people didn't correspond with multi-national corporate interests and now we have failed states to show for our intransigence.

[Edited on 3-22-2010 by monoloco]
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 11:08 AM

Thanks. So their last revolt was against the French and Napoleon? I think some trees and food-bearing plants could have been grown since then. Maybe even some cojones could have been grown. With half that island prospering (Dominican Republic) and an expat hub- why is the other half still lurking in the stone age? During the earthquake aftermath- it was very strange to see the right half of the island blacked out like it wasn't even there. They didn't even put a country label on it.

Look how much blood the USA spent freeing herself from Britain, and then again fighting brother-against-brother during the even bloodier Civil War.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 01:01 PM

Look at how much blood we caused to be shed by over throwing legally elected popular governments like Allende in Chile, Torrijos in Panama, Mosadegh in Iran or destabilize their economies with flawed World Bank/ IMF so called free trade policies as we have done to much of Central America and the Caribbean. We talk up freedom and democracy here in the US but when it comes to other countries we don't support it. It is why the US has no credibility in much of the world and we are seen as hypocrites.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 01:26 PM
Haiti v. Chile

It was announced on February 17, that Chile was going to tap its Copper Stabilization Fund for its rebuilding. The copper mining industry is state owned, and some forward looking thinkers amassed over $11 billion in excess profits. So, as far as foreign help is concerned, it would appear that Haiti need a bit more than Chile. And in Chile's case this is happening during a transition in democratically elected governments.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 3-22-2010 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
We talk up freedom and democracy here in the US but when it comes to other countries we don't support it. It is why the US has no credibility in much of the world and we are seen as hypocrites.

who else does the whole world turn to when in need if not the USA? pick your poison I guess.

I wouldn't over-state that. The world still appreciates the generosity of the American people and still flock here because it is truly the land of freedom and opportunity. How foreigners feel about the actions of our ruling party at the time- is a whole different thing. The world keeps the two separate.

[Edited on 3-22-2010 by Woooosh]

nancyconroy

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
who else does the whole world turn to when in need if not the USA? pick your poison I guess.

You are correct. It's the one unchanging law and basis for the golden rule. How else do you think the planet has maintained order since the beginning of time? The ten commandments?

I made it out alive.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nancyconroy
Quote:

You are correct. It's the one unchanging law and basis for the golden rule. How else do you think the planet has maintained order since the beginning of time? The ten commandments?

The first thing you learn in Economics 101 is the Golden Rule: "He who has the gold rules."

But the USA wasn't always wealthy- it had humble beginnings centuries behind Europe. It defined itself by revolution and the PEOPLE declared it's independence and created a Constitution that guaranteed basic rights for everyone. They didn't conquer anyone to get that. They didn't have to ask a King for permission. They just did it. The world will always respect and be drawn to that... We the People. The right people have to speak French or Dutch or Italian are because of the will of the American people in WWII. We even forgave the war debts. The world has a short memory when history is long at repeating the errors of the past.

[Edited on 3-23-2010 by Woooosh]

nancyconroy

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
The world has a short memory when history is long at repeating the errors of the past.

Which takes us back to the need for the golden rule.

;D

I made it out alive.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:
The world has a short memory when history is long at repeating the errors of the past.

;D

Uh, you mean China...

nancyconroy

[*] posted on 3-23-2010 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

;D

Uh, you mean China...

You must have read this.

I made it out alive.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.