BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Car rental in Calexico
stevodadevo

question.gif posted on 3-29-2010 at 01:19 PM
Car rental in Calexico

Does anyone know of a place in or around Calexico that will rent cars for travel into Mexico. I'm looking to visit my folks in San Felipe but don't have a car suitable to make the trip.

I saw this post LINK but those rental agencies were all in San Diego.

Any recommendations?
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2010 at 02:02 PM

Imperial County Airport in El Centro has auto rentals. Don't know about taking them to Mexico.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2010 at 07:02 PM

I know that the staff at the Hertz counter there can write up a Mexican Insurance policy for a rental car there....I rented a car once in Palm Springs from the Hertz Counter and was going to drive to San Felipe from there...the company that writes their policies was closed so I stopped in El Centro and they wrote the policy there...so I am assuming that they allow there rentals to go into Mexico if they have the means to write and sell Mexican insurance. Just call Hertz and ask them about it.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
BajaErin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 09:03 AM

You can see if they have an Enterprise Rent-A-Car.... (pause).... here ya go (closest):

EL CENTRO AP OFFSITE
299 W. MAIN ST
EL CENTRO, CA 92243-2514

Tel.: (760) 353-3600

You can call and ask about getting Mexican Car Ins for a rental to San Felipe. I have not used this branch, but use San Diego's for quick trips to San Felipe (via Tecate Toll Road). The number is for the direct office, so you are asking the right people (bad experience with Budget rental once due to local office saying what 1-800 confirmed with me didn't apply at their office). Only bad part is that the Mex. Ins. costs like $30 a day, which is often more than rental cost per day.

The other option (to try and get cheaper) would be to find a smaller rental agency (with hopefully good running cars) and have them agree to let you go to San Felipe and purchase the Mex. Car. Ins. before you cross the border for an agreed upon value. This may take a lot of phone calls and is not guaranteed to work.

When I crossed at Tecate heading North nine days ago, I was asked for rental agreement and proof of Mex. Ins. paperwork.

[Edited on 3-30-2010 by BajaErin]

stevodadevo

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 09:08 AM

Thanks for the info guys!
BajaErin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 09:17 AM

Almost forgot, once you confirm with the local office that you can head south, then reserve/book-it online for cheaper rates. I was reminded to add that part when I saw the Enterprise banner near the top of the page. Very handy.
stevodadevo

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 09:24 AM

I just called Enterprise in El Centro. They confirmed what you said about renting the car locallly and stopping in to buy insurance. They did warn me that some outlets dont allow any of their cars into Mexico.
BajaErin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 09:59 AM

Most outlets will not. I just go ttired of calling long list of rental agencies every trip to find less and less would. Just settled on the one that has done me good and I know what to expect.

If you rent from them, make sure when you go to counter to fill out forms that you mention then that you also need Mex. Ins. so they start that paperwork then. It takes a little longer, but needs to be done before you can walk out to choose car. They don't make note of needing it when you reserve, so you have to remind them where you are going.
stevodadevo

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 03:56 PM

UPDATE:

I ended up using the Enterprise in El Centro. Good service. They even waived one day rental charge because I was stuck in Mexico because of the earthquake.

They are definitely more expensive than any Enterprise branch I have ever used though. 4 days rental and 5 days Mexican insurance came out to $350 (with a coupon!)
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 04:24 PM

What a bargain. Not! Just curious about the idea that your vehicle is not suitable for the trip, inasmuch as the road is not particularly challenging.

Especially when one can fly from LAX to Cabo for less than that.

[Edited on 4-7-2010 by Bajahowodd]
stevodadevo

[*] posted on 4-7-2010 at 04:33 PM

I have a new BMW 335i coupe. Not really suitable for travel into Baja and off-road. My parent's house is off of a dirt road that isn't exactly the flattest!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-8-2010 at 10:25 AM

I think this one is for rent CHEAP:lol:

Bob Durrell
stevodadevo

[*] posted on 4-8-2010 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
I think this one is for rent CHEAP:lol:

And it's a convertible!!
BajaErin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 06:28 PM

Sorry to hear the price was so high. I usually only pay under $20/day rental plus $30/day ins (ouch), but that is through the branch associated with the San Diego Airport. Did you book online, which should have been cheaper?

Not that it really matters though. Glad you got to visit the folks in Baja. Sorry it cost ya.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.