BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Kymco does Baja
mcrider69

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 05:17 PM
Kymco does Baja

My girlfriend, Betsy and I just got back from riding the length of the Baja peninsula. Her Kymco and my KLR ran great.

The roads were better than expected and except for two very windy days around Mulege, we had no problems. Well, we almost had a problem. Betsy was rear ended by a Hotel Van in Cabo San Lucas, but she didn't fall and soon shook it off. The only damage was a broken rear fender. We were able to camp about one-half the time and our total expenses were less than $100 a day. The food, weather, scenery, and people were great.

Thanks to all the people who posted ride reports and answered questions before we left. It was a big help.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 05:26 PM

Good for you two. Must have been a great trip. So I'm curious, what model and size of Kymco does Betsy ride?

We own a Kymco People 150 scooter that rides on the back of our motor home when we are up stateside. The thing runs like a champ. But now I'm looking to go bigger to challenge the freeway double-up.

Kymco makes a fine product.

[Edited on 2-18-2011 by El Jefe]

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
mcrider69

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 08:50 PM

It was a very good trip. The Kymco is a People S250 with 16 inch wheels and plenty of power. We were worried about the suspension, but with the roads being good, it was not a problem. It even handled the winds well.

Thanks again to all the people who posted info here and answered our questions before we left.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 08:53 PM

Didja get any pictures?
karmatourer
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2011 at 11:00 PM

Did you stay in any "bike friendly" hotels in either direction? I'll be rising my KLR down soon.

[Edited on 2-18-2011 by karmatourer]
mcrider69

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 01:53 PM

The bikes were welcome everywhere and security was not a problem. At night we detached our bags and cabled the bikes together. There was only one time I was concerned. In Catavina, a truck engine woke me up around 3:00 a.m. When I looked outside, a large van was parked right next to our bikes in large emply parking lot. I went back to bed knowing that much noise would be needed to cut the cable and load the bikes and they were right in front of our room. Other than that no worries.

I do have pics. If I can figure out how to do it, I will be glad to post.
karmatourer
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 07:48 PM

Good to know-any motel recommendations.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrider69
The bikes were welcome everywhere and security was not a problem. At night we detached our bags and cabled the bikes together. There was only one time I was concerned. In Catavina, a truck engine woke me up around 3:00 a.m. When I looked outside, a large van was parked right next to our bikes in large emply parking lot. I went back to bed knowing that much noise would be needed to cut the cable and load the bikes and they were right in front of our room. Other than that no worries.

I do have pics. If I can figure out how to do it, I will be glad to post.
mcrider69

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 11:19 AM

I don't remember some of the names, but in Santo Tomas there was the El Palomar, in Santo Rosalia we had a good night at the El Morro. Also on the way back we enjoyed the superbowl in a Pink motel on the south east side of San Quintin.

The best nights, however, were the two nights we spent on the beach.
karmatourer
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 10:12 PM

Thanks for that.Beach nights are great.

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrider69
I don't remember some of the names, but in Santo Tomas there was the El Palomar, in Santo Rosalia we had a good night at the El Morro. Also on the way back we enjoyed the superbowl in a Pink motel on the south east side of San Quintin.

The best nights, however, were the two nights we spent on the beach.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.