Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Mexican-American tragedy
Dave
Elite Nomad

sad.gif posted on 2-22-2011 at 10:57 PM
A Mexican-American tragedy

Reprinted from a favorite Mexican blog.

I've always been conflicted about our immigration policies, usually siding with rule of law. While this story may not change my views, it has touched my heart.

http://burrohall.blogspot.com/

His Cross to Bear

A few months ago, immigration agents in the US (or perhaps a judge...the details are missing) sent a 25-year-old illegal immigrant named Cruz González Chávez back to his hometown of San Juan del Río, Querétaro. González was the father of two American children with his American wife, but the government wisely decided that what's best for a child is for his father to be deported, because if he were allowed to stay, well, what kind of country would that be for a child to grow up in? (Anyone who suggests the mother and children should have also shipped out to San Juan del Río has never been to San Juan del Río.)

Cruz González Chávez was the kind of guy who, for some unfathomable reason, loved and missed his wife and children in that melancholy Mexican way familiar to anyone who's read The Labyrinth of Solitude. So after a few beers last Sunday, he went outside and put a bullet though his head. We doubt his name will make it into the American newspapers, so we thought we'd mention him here.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 07:00 AM

If he had an American wife he was eligible for a green card, makes me wonder why he didn't go through the process.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
If he had an American wife he was eligible for a green card, makes me wonder why he didn't go through the process.

Perhaps because one must aquire that from the US Consulate in Juarez. The gamble is not a good one.
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 08:03 AM

That is so very sad
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 08:07 AM

Come on Dennis, I know lots of people who have been through the process, and a couple who are currently doing it. It's not easy and could take a while, but it beats putting a bullet in your brain. It's a sad story, but the guy was obviously unstable.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Come on Dennis, I know lots of people who have been through the process, and a couple who are currently doing it. It's not easy and could take a while, but it beats putting a bullet in your brain. It's a sad story, but the guy was obviously unstable.

Yeah...you're right. I should have read closer. It is a sad story. The border seems to produce nothing but sad stories.

None the less....Cd. Juarez sucks, most dangerous city in the freakin world and we have a consulate right in the middle of it. Real smart.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
took me almost 2 years, over $2000 and 2 trips to Juarez to get one for my Canadian wife :fire:

Bob Durrell
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 10:27 AM
Too Bad

Bad (and unnecessary) ending.

One Bad personal decision compounded by others, including a last VERY Bad one.

IF one decides to break the law, they must be prepared to accept the consequences of their unlawful acts.
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2011 at 10:38 AM

The "green card" process is not easy, and would probably require that the family be separated for quite some time, especially if penalties/fines were issued since he was here illegally. I don't think suicide was the answer, but for those of us who have gone through the process, it's not as easy as you would assume! (even if married and following all the correct steps!)

I have friends in Tijuana that have been waiting for their "green cards" for about 15 years...mother is a naturalized US citizen.
JaraHurd
Nomad

Mood: probably annoyed

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 08:13 AM

I too am some-what sympathetic (and conflicted) with this issue..but there is a LOT missing from this particular incident. Why was he deported? I work in the inner city of Los Angeles. I deal with approximately 30-50 people a week, most are in the US illegally. Have for the past 8 years in this area (near MacArthur Park). I keeps tabs on many of my "contact" because I do care about people. I have NEVER heard of even ONE incident where ANYONE has EVEr been deported from this area without being involved in criminal activity aside from immigration issues. Not ONE in 8 years.

So...to me...something seems to be missing. The whole tone of that email is anti-American government anyway so I am inclinded to doubt its veracity from the start.

OH....I am aware, however, of multiple suicides in my area (apparently) simply because if is hard to survive in America (for some) illegally in this current economy. Sadly, it is almost always the men that take the easy way out. Sorry, they don't get my sympathy. The family that has to remain behind and pick up the pieces does.
jaygarcia
Banned

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 01:32 PM

You people should read the story in the Mexican newspapers. It will make more sense. He was NOT married to the woman. They were just living together. Thus there was no basis for an application for residency just because his live-in girlfriend was an American citizen. He was at his home at a family party and got very drunk and went out back and shot himself. He was actually surrounded by his family when it happened.

Why do people think that just because somebody who sneaks across the border illegally and happens to have a functioning reproductive system which creates children born here, he is somehow entitled to special treatment? His girlfriend could have visited him in Mexico along with the kids any time.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 02:12 PM

It's a trajedy any time someone takes their own life.:(
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 02:46 PM

There are, unfortunately, thousands upon thousands of families facing some form of disruption because of immigration issues.

While it is ever so easy to accuse the undocumented of willingly "stealing" our resources though medical care, education, Etc. As well as being so easy to accuse them of the so-called "anchor baby" issue.

But the simple truth is that not only are many undocumented in the US working and paying taxes, but many arrived here originally on temporary visas for education or tourism, and for one reason or another, overstayed. And a large number of these folks are not Mexican or from places South of Mexico.

Just saying that the problem is massive and affects innocent children.

We need to prioritize a program that can deal fairly, yet firmly with the folks involved.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.