Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  15
Author: Subject: MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 07:58 AM
Big Band Dance Night at Ana's Santispac

“FAST EDDY AND THE SLOW LEARNERS”

GREAT NIGHT LAST NIGHT!! One of Mulege and The Bay’s premier events went off with a BIG BANG last night at Ana’s Santispac.

A local band of eccentric boys calling themselves …

.. ‘Fast Eddy and The Slow Learners’..

…performed in front of multitudes of live band fans and dancers.

Now this was a truly great time…and reminiscent to this writer of the Good Ol Days at the Serinadad Resort on those long ago Saturday night pig fiestas. (That was when everyone in the area got social ..and together…sometimes even with their own wives and husbands. Oh, yeah. The motto “What happens in Mulege, ..stays in Mulege.” began in that era.)

I was running a little late, because I had forgotten again what day this was. When I arrived by 7 or so the joint was jumping already.

The parking lot (the beach) had about 120 cars, vans, pickups, dunebuggies, sandrails, 4 wheelers, motorcycles, mopeds, a snowmobile, and 35 electric wheelchairs. 2 ambulances stood at the ready to revive over-exerted dancers, plus one backup Pacifico truck for Russ’s bar.

I ambled on in, to check out the action in the caberet. I was solo.

“Hi, Rog. Do you need help getting up?”

It may have been the 2 double martinis I had drank on my patio, but a faint, accented voice kept running thru my head, “Quando il gatto non c'è i topi ballano.” Not knowing enough Italian, I ignored the voice. Anyway, I mostly listen to tackle boxes.

Some veteran Walmart greeters were on loan for the night. :rolleyes:

Opps…maybe I should have called ahead for a table? I quickly solved the problem by shouting out: ”Hey, there’s a white pickup on fire in the parking lot!”

The Band: “Fast Eddy and The Slow Learners”

The band was playing magnificently ....Bravo!
Somehow I got the impression that Macy had super-glued his harmonica to his lips? No more vermouth for me.

MacyMan goes into a grooving rendition of.. White Christmas. Why?.. who knows?? Macy marches to a different drum…on another planet.

The mating dance of Conception Bay Denizens is a remarkable event… filled with danger.

Almost no fatal collisions.

I only counted one body on the floor. Lauriboats had lost her dancing partner to a difficult tango maneuver. Oh, well…Jim is right over there.

Welcome to the Bar. Better known as The Sea of Tranquility.

The cast members:
{Please do not copy/paste to any US authority.)

He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was the East River.

And that’s the way it was. March 3rd, 2011 Ana’s Big Band Night. .and you were there.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Thanks, Bob.... I love Mulege and Baja, too, plus I'm a camera bug. Have been since my Brownie Hawkeye days.

Photo number would be a good guess at best right now, but I could easily find out, I suppose. This Baja photo-disc I have in the computer today shows there are 3532 photos on it. I've got 5 other discs done and a few more to do from old and new camcorder recordings...my fun winter project for when the winds keep me off the water.

That's amazing...... keep'm com'n. Love all of it!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 06:07 PM
I almost fell off my bar stool.

This guy in the red circle..is identical to what I look like. My wife thought it was me! Just his beard is a tab longer than mine.

Untitled-3.jpg - 36kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 06:19 PM

i think it is a "tad" longer, but what do i know?:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by woody with a view]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 08:22 PM

It looks like he is hurling down Roz's back:lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 09:01 PM

...took a whole roll of paper towels!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 10:09 PM

mcfez,

Just talked to your bearded twin tonight at the Prom Party....

...his name is Patrick, from Los Angeles. He says he grew up with you?

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by Pompano]

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2011 at 10:28 PM

Well that`s mcfez for you!! Blaming your bad behavior on your "twin" brother!! We`re on to you mcfez................................... we know that old trick of blaming your twin brother for disorderly conduct!!
What a great party for a bunch of x-pats! Hope it`s repeated soon and often!!

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by BornFisher]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2011 at 05:31 AM

Man, some fantastic photos of people having a whole lot of FUN!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2011 at 07:01 AM
tad not tab

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i think it is a "tad" longer, but what do i know?:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by woody with a view]

I was in the bar/club business too long "put it on my tab"...:o

I was from Los Angeles too :o

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 3-6-2011 at 07:24 AM

Thanks for the info.....I will be in Mulege on a Saturday afternoon in late April before heading to La Paz on Sunday, hope there is some left for me;D
Quote:
One of the 'special treats' of Mulege is eating carnitas every Saturday at Taqueria Dannys. The cafe is located at the little square across from Manuel's grocery tienda and next door to the El Nino steakhouse bldg. Easy to find, just follow the one-way main street as you come into Mulege. Or...follow your nose...

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2011 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
Thanks for the info.....I will be in Mulege on a Saturday afternoon in late April before heading to La Paz on Sunday, hope there is some left for me;D
Quote:
One of the 'special treats' of Mulege is eating carnitas every Saturday at Taqueria Dannys. The cafe is located at the little square across from Manuel's grocery tienda and next door to the El Nino steakhouse bldg. Easy to find, just follow the one-way main street as you come into Mulege. Or...follow your nose...

Hi acadist,

Sorry about the photo mishap in your post above..don't really know what happened there?..

... but we always have backups! Here's some shots of Mulege's best carnitas cafe.

hmm..lots of eaters heading there....I better beat them to my favorite stool.
;)

Damn..occupied already! You have GOT to get here early on Saturdays!! Hey, guys..who's that beauty in red? She's on my stool.

The original owner ...an always smiling Ramon. Rest in peace, old friend, you are missed.

Ramon's son, Antonio, carries on the family tradition and has the same flair as his father..a great Saturday treat!

Lorena is another great reason for stopping. What a smile..what a partner for a successful carnitas cafe.

I always leave room for some ranchero bean soup.

Viva Carnitas! Eat at Danny's!

Hey, thinking of food treats....it's almost time to head into Mulege for the. Annual Chili Contest. Where's my Tums?

See you later with some pics of another fun Mulege event.

[Edited on 12-8-2013 by Pompano]

Crazy4Fishing

[*] posted on 3-6-2011 at 09:20 AM

Great night, great fun, super pics Rog.

See you and your camera at the Chili Cookoff today
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 3-6-2011 at 05:47 PM

Pompano,
That is the beauty of all your great pics....I was reading through all the great posts and did not realize that the thread started a couple of years ago. Still plan on getting my Mulege "fix" soon though. Have really only stayed in passing the last couple of years but have had some great times and fishing in your little corner of Baja.

This was on our way home from La Paz a couple of years ago with my daughter and my niece, we had leftover pompano ceviche and dorado in an amazing green sauce from the Tailhunter Bar. Picked up some fresh tortillas, Pacificos and limes from Pepe at the Cuesta Real and had an awesome picnic dinner.
Thank you for your great posts and humorous insights, it is a great reason to watch this board.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
Quote:

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 05:36 AM
!ATTENTION! - PEOPLE WATCHERS!

Yes....Attention, all you People Watchers!

Well, Mulege has yet another café. This one is really a bit different though, in that it looks out at the busiest intersection in downtown Mulege…sothat makes it a great place to eat and watch the village go by. Works for me and my camera...

Corona Café…owned and operated by Alvaro Padilla. Formerly this corner business was a phone store (back in the day when there were no public phones) and more currently a small grocery store. I like the new change to a street-side café and wish them good luck and lots of customers.

I began my breakfast with a good cup of coffee and a can of spray paint. Hmm…..? I could explain that..but why?

I ordered my favorite Baja breakfast…Huevos Rancheros. My eating habits are really lame. I’ve looked at thousands of breakfast menus in Baja over the years…reading every item on them….and always end up getting the huevos rancheros…am I in a rut or what? Oh well…maybe tomorrow I’ll try something different…like huevos rancheros with an English muffin!

A collage depicting “ The Life Span of Huevos Rancheros.”

All done….ahh…..it was muy sobroso!

GIVE IT A TRY NEXT TIME YOU ARE DOWNTOWN MULEGE…AND WATCH THE WORLD GO BY.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 06:14 AM

hey Pompano were the tortillas fried or soft...nice presentation:bounce:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 06:51 AM

Oh man I love FOOD!
That ice box has been on that corner for.....
What's with that? It is really in the way of foot traffic.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 06:57 AM

Hey Bob...

Those corn tortillas were just 'crispy'....the way I like 'em. You could eat them as 'finger food' as I once used to....

...but nowadays I am coerced into using the fork. :rolleyes:

Hendo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 01:07 PM

how does the spray paint taste, #13 has always been my favorite.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 10:30 AM
MULEGE SCENES

THE LOCATION: NOT THAT LONG AGO…1994-1999. Mi amigo, Rudolfo/Adolfo sits on the steps below the bar.

bottom right are Sam & John Frisbee..Frisbee and Sue ran the rooftop bar..along with Dimas the bartender.

JUST THE OTHER DAY…nothing but a memory....the Corona Bar is just a footnote in Mulege's long bar history.

ALL THAT’S LEFT OF FRISBEE AND SUE’S ROOFTOP BAR. I found my old church key.....but that's not all....

PLus...…I FOUND THIS ETCHED INTO THE CONCRETE AT THE TOP OF THE OLD STAIRCASE….Hola Donna..wherever you are.

Thar be ghosts in dem dar bars...

======================================================================

PEPE'S HARDWARE STORE:

A rope and some cement..care to go fishing?

Pepe Yee's hardware tienda is one of my favorite shopping places in Mulege. He's got just about everything one needs regarding hardware, household supplies, and good selection of whatcha'ma'callits.....chingadores..

Hmmm...let's see now..just how much will I need?

Yup..that should do the trick.

"How many bags you want, Rogelio?"

This job will take at least one pallet.

If you show that you are sober, you can drive load them yourself with the forklift. Note: sDamage to your spickup is at your own rish..srich.....ahem.....risk.

SHOP AT PEPE'S.. for your next fishing trip!!

But don't even think of driving thier forklift...;)

======================================================================

“The Keymaker of Mulege”

As it happens every so often, the other day I needed an extra set of keys. Everybody needs extra keys, right? Houses, cars, boats, chastity belts, etc…always keys, keys, keys.

Here is where you can get your key duplicates made:

CERRAJERIA “ALBERTO”
Luis Alberto Romero Aquilar
R.F.C. ROAL.810911-110
Emiliano Zapata s/n, Col. Mission
Tel. 153-03-26, Mulege, B.C.S.

To get there, take the road near the highway bridge towards the Mulege Mission..and drive past it…

Soon you will see the baseball diamond and the new stadium being built….easy so far, right?

Yup, that’s it..right across from the baseball stadium.

The Key shop part of this tienda is too the left as you face it.

Alberto files and buffs the keys to perfection for a correct non-binding fit. I’ve never received a bad key yet….in many visits over the last few years.
Give him your business, you won’t regret it.

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by Pompano]

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.