BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: The dumbest thing you ever did while fishin?
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 08:40 AM
The dumbest thing you ever did while fishin?

Only had my boat for a short while and was fishing sharks for maybe the 2nd time,nobody fished for them in those days so for us it was trial and error while learning and painful as it turned out for me

Out in the channel drifting along while listening to the radio and shooting the breeze things were slow and starting to get boring when my buddies rig sounded off,instant chaos out of the water comes a nice size thresher our first everyone is yelling getting in each others way,not to organized to say the least.

After a couple of runs and jumps my bud gets the thing alongside what now? remember first time my first thought was get the rope around his tail I reach down to grab hold and WHAMMMM that same tail comes up slams me in the head,there I am laying on the deck my head is ringing and seeing all these dancing dots!!!!

I don,t what we had planned on doing with a fish this size in the first place,a 16' boat doesn,t leave much room so they cut him off and I called it a day.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 08:53 AM

The dumbest thing I ever did was launch the boat, and once I was out in the water realized I left the rods in the truck. I also went skiing once and forgot my skiis at home. Both times after a long night of drinking.

:lol::lol::lol:
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 09:02 AM

Here is a story about what is probably my dumbest thing done fishing (PFQ = Punta San Francisquito):

One afternoon at PFQ we saw a huge cloud of birds working several miles out off the north point, maybe a third of the way to Isla San Lorenzo. The birds were too far for the inflatables, so we rousted Savino from the bar and headed out in one of the PFQ pangas. When we got to the boil it was amazing; the ocean was exploding. Every imaginable marine animal was there eating—shoals of small fish were blasting out of the water, birds were wheeling and shrieking above and in the water, and the yellowtail were so thick you could walk on them. Hundreds of dolphins were breaking the surface, graceful thresher sharks were launching themselves completely out of the water, and even a pod of pilot whales was there. It was late summer and the presence of dolphins on the surface suggested yellowfin tuna below, so we dropped the jigs down below the yellowtail, and were immediately rewarded with four heavy hookups. When the first tuna showed color, we realized with horror that we were without a gaff. That was no big problem with the first three fish; they were in the 20-25 pound class and, with some effort, could be “bounced” into the boat with just the rod. Not so with the last one, that fourth fish was big.

The big fish was being fought by a close friend, now gone, Frank Armellini. When we saw the fish we knew it would be a problem, we estimated his weight at about 70 pounds. Frank worked him carefully and after a forty-five minute struggle the big fish was on his side next to the panga. There was no possibility of “bouncing” a fish that big without breaking the line; he had to be hauled in with bare human hands. I heroically volunteered to do it. The aft body of a yellowfin tuna, even a big one like this, narrows to a relatively small diameter just forward of the sharply forked tail. With this fish it was about the diameter of the skinny end of a baseball bat. That allows a fairly decent two-handed grip. I figured that would be better for hauling him in than by grabbing him by the gills, because the gill covers have sharp edges and don’t offer as good a grip as the tail. All that was good logic, but I forgot to take one thing into consideration, buoyancy. Hundreds of years ago a real smart guy named Archimedes discovered that an object in water is acted on by an upward force equal to the weight of the water it displaces. Since the density of the tuna was about the same as the water, he was virtually weightless when he was completely submerged. So it was easy to get some of him out of the water, but the more of him that came out of the water the heavier he got. When I had half of him out of the water, I was lifting damn near 40 pounds. So I found myself in this crazy rocking cycle with the fish—leaning over the gunnels of the panga I would pick up as much weight as I could, the panga would tilt over to my side as the weight increased, and each time I reached my strength limit the tuna would slip back into the water. We did several cycles like this. I just couldn’t lift him over the side. I was getting harassed and ridiculed, of course, by the other laughing occupants of the panga, and this didn’t help my temperament. Finally I managed to squeeze out a great shot of adrenaline, and with one mighty heave, I hauled him over the side. In doing that I of course fell over backwards and the fish, now rested, landed on top of me and started thrashing. It was quite a scene, me on my back embracing this wildly gyrating yellowfin tuna. Lures, poles, beer, oars, tackle boxes, shoes, hats, and people scattered in all directions. But after all that work I was not to be denied. The fish finally calmed down and I was able to roll it off of me and into the bottom of the panga. And after this incredible selfless effort, can you believe I was subjected to even more laughter and ridicule. But the battle was won. The great fish weighed 75 pounds and made magnificent sashimi. None of us, including Savino, ever again forgot a gaff.

carpe diem!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 09:05 AM

ONCE... I forgot to put the beer chest in the boat.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 09:47 AM

Ken

isn't it funny how near disaster ALWAYS ends in laughter, ALWAYS?

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 09:49 AM

I once made the mistake of using a Penn Squidder for trolling, while reeling in a rather large dorado I accidentally hit the little switch that allows it to crank out line, the result was like putting my thumb in the blender. Ouch!
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
I once made the mistake of using a Penn Squidder for trolling, while reeling in a rather large dorado I accidentally hit the little switch that allows it to crank out line, the result was like putting my thumb in the blender. Ouch!

sounds like fishing knuckle busters(direct drive) for salmon.

...and ouch is an understatement. I recall using several 4 lettered words in series.
billgow

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Here is a story about what is probably my dumbest thing done fishing (PFQ = Punta San Francisquito):

What a great story!

I love it!

Thanks.
stevelaubly
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:07 AM

I think my daughter was about 5 or 6 when we took her on her first fishing trip. She couldn’t understand how to use the reel, so I cast out for her, handed her the pole, and told her if she felt a tug on the line to just run up on the bank behind her and drag the fish up that way.

She was excited.

After a while “Daddy, Daddy…I got a fish!”

“OK” I said, “Do what I told you”…

She immediately threw the pole down in the water and ran back up the bank.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:27 AM

my list of dumb things seems really, really long to me....one incident really stands out, tho.....waaaaaay back when, i was guiding steelhead on the cowlitz river in washington to help pay my way through college....so one morning i meet a couple clients at the launch, dump my drift boat in the water and told the dudes to hang on to it while i headed a pretty good distance away to park the rig..it took me quite awhile as there were a ton of fishermen around...by the time i got back to the launch, my boat was sitting really low in the water with all of my gear floating around inside it...you guessed it!...i'd forgotten to put the plug in!...i know i'm not the only guy that has made that mistake but it sure is embarrassing when you've got a couple of paying customers there.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
CDB
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevelaubly
I think my daughter was about 5 or 6 when we took her on her first fishing trip. She couldn’t understand how to use the reel, so I cast out for her, handed her the pole, and told her if she felt a tug on the line to just run up on the bank behind her and drag the fish up that way.

She was excited.

After a while “Daddy, Daddy…I got a fish!”

“OK” I said, “Do what I told you”…

She immediately threw the pole down in the water and ran back up the bank.

:lol: Love it!
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:35 AM

geez i hate to even mention this one.....one time my son and i got together in eastern washington during the summer for a bass fishing trip at potholes...we took my old willys jeep way down in a remote lake and set up camp...my son was in college and i thought it appropriate after a long day of fishing to bond with him with a few beers...well, i guess more than a few...late that night we feel into our sleeping bags with all our clothes on...i awoke a few hours later with some severe pain in my right hand...i was pitch dark in the tent so i woke jake up and told him to find a flashlight...he found one and lit me up......when i had gone to bed i still had a baseball cap on and imbedded in the bill of the cap was a 4" rapala with 3 treble hooks...those hooks were now buried past the barbs in my head, my sleeping bag, my hat and really deep into the cuticle of my right thumb....talk about a cluster!...one can imagine what had to transpire to get free...another embarrassing moment..

fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
my list of dumb things seems really, really long to me....one incident really stands out, tho.....waaaaaay back when, i was guiding steelhead on the cowlitz river in washington to help pay my way through college....so one morning i meet a couple clients at the launch, dump my drift boat in the water and told the dudes to hang on to it while i headed a pretty good distance away to park the rig..it took me quite awhile as there were a ton of fishermen around...by the time i got back to the launch, my boat was sitting really low in the water with all of my gear floating around inside it...you guessed it!...i'd forgotten to put the plug in!...i know i'm not the only guy that has made that mistake but it sure is embarrassing when you've got a couple of paying customers there.

been there done that....more than once. Much harder to get the water out of a driftboat than a powerboat. on a powerboat I just pull the plug and go just fast enough to get the bow way up in the air and let the water drain out. I have to do this a few times a yr after taking a wave over the bow launching through the surf.

Where did you put in Blue creek? I lived on the Cowlitz in Toledo for a yr. Loved it...but I liked fishing the south fork of the Toutle more.

I love driftboats, and miss running rivers in them greatly. I just passed a Willies in baja on the way south last week. I was like... what the hell is that doing here?

[Edited on 3-27-2011 by fishabductor]
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
geez i hate to even mention this one.....one time my son and i got together in eastern washington during the summer for a bass fishing trip at potholes...we took my old willys jeep way down in a remote lake and set up camp...my son was in college and i thought it appropriate after a long day of fishing to bond with him with a few beers...well, i guess more than a few...late that night we feel into our sleeping bags with all our clothes on...i awoke a few hours later with some severe pain in my right hand...i was pitch dark in the tent so i woke jake up and told him to find a flashlight...he found one and lit me up......when i had gone to bed i still had a baseball cap on and imbedded in the bill of the cap was a 4" rapala with 3 treble hooks...those hooks were now buried past the barbs in my head, my sleeping bag, my hat and really deep into the cuticle of my right thumb....talk about a cluster!...one can imagine what had to transpire to get free...another embarrassing moment..

LOL...

the last trip I took to the potholes, I ran into a rattlesnake on the trail. I had a flyrod and I thought it'd be a good idea to use the rod to "shoo" away the snake. The snake struck the tiptop and shattered it. A $400 mistake. Next time, I will use a rock.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:42 AM

Great story, Ken! Mine's not near as good, but I documented it with a photo.

One morning I was running out before daybreak to get an early start. About ten miles north of the marina I spotted a panga with no lights and apparently unoccupied. I swung by to take a closer look and saw the net just before I ran into it. As I was lifting the motor the panguero's head appeared above the gunwale. He took a look, laid back down, and went back to sleep as my early start was delayed while I untangled his net. Although sorely tempted, I didn't use a knife and left his net intact.

bnnet.jpg - 42kB
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Great story, Ken! Mine's not near as good, but I documented it with a photo.

One morning I was running out before daybreak to get an early start. About ten miles north of the marina I spotted a panga with no lights and apparently unoccupied. I swung by to take a closer look and saw the net just before I ran into it. As I was lifting the motor the panguero's head appeared above the gunwale. He took a look, laid back down, and went back to sleep as my early start was delayed while I untangled his net. Although sorely tempted, I didn't use a knife and left his net intact.

Even as I am from a commercial fishing family, if the guy didn't come over and help me remove his unmarked/unlighted net from my prop, it would have been cut out.
JaraHurd
Nomad

Mood: probably annoyed

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:48 AM

While living in Spain My father and I took my uncle fishing in a small rented boat. Just the three of us. I was about 13 years old at the time.

Most of my Spanish relatives did not fish so we thought we would teach him. We were trolling Rebel lures with double treble hooks on them. He hooked a large bluefish and wildly reeled it in. The pole was bent over almost in half as he did not know what he was doing and he was very excited.

I bent over to land the fish just as it threw the lure. My uncle fell back...and the lure hit me full-force .......on my nose....treble hook embedded into my nose...right up the middle cartilage so that we could not cut it out (we actually had a pair of dikes onboard). We didn't really laugh too much until after the trip to the Emergency Room. Now it is an awesome family story when we get together. .....
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 10:53 AM

another potholes story...i had hiked into a place where i knew the irrigation canal was washed out, creating a little lake that smallmouth liked to spawn in....when i got there i could see bass beds everywhere and started catching them cast after cast....then i heard what sounded like a bull bellowing somewhere in the distance...it kept getting closer and closer as soon this giant bull comes over the rise heading straight for me...i had nowhere to go...except to a tiny rock island in the middle of the pond i was fishing...i ditched my gear and jumped in clothes and all and swam to the island where the bull kept me for at least two hours before heading off..

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 11:08 AM

Ken, I absolutely loved reading your storyline! I was glued to it as you have a very fine way of presenting your scene. Not only do you show us your excellent abilities as a photographer, but you are also a top quality writer. The laughter and ridicule from your boatmates only made you stronger in the end, and you won! You got that sucker in the boat man.... Thanks for sharing that story. It was fantastic.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2011 at 11:25 AM

Lots of good stories here. Here's mine.

I was fishing for tarpon from shore, one evening, at the Yucatan peninsula. The fishing was awesome. The darker it got the better the fishing. After about 2 hours of this I was missing all my strikes so I reeled in to see where the problem lay. There was nothing left of the rapala but a wire with a set of hooks at each end. Time to call it a day and head back to my wife and camper, who thought my obsession with fishing bordered on insanity, to begin with.

I took about a dozen steps and felt this sharp piercing pain in one ankle. So I stepped forward with the other leg and felt an even greater pain. I stood there in the darkness trying to understand. I couldn't move either foot without hurting myself. I slumped forward and crawled back to the camper on my knees keeping the 2 feet together.

Hearing my cries, Vera showed up with the Coleman. In the light it became clear. Somehow I had managed to step on a rapala driving the forward hooks into one ankle and the rear ones into the other. Thus immobilizing me.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.