Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Rosarito & Ensenada
robski

[*] posted on 6-14-2011 at 06:30 PM
Rosarito & Ensenada

Hello, My husband and I along with our 2 young kids are planning to drive to Baja from Northern California this coming July. We plan to spend 2 days in Rosarito and 2 days in Ensenada. This is gonna be our first time driving to Baja but we've been to different locations in Mexico before. We are fully aware of the safety issues in Rosarito but we have to meet some friends there so I'm asking for any suggestions and opinions on what's the safest hotel (with parking) there to stay. The kids like to spend time at the beach and we're hoping to find a place there that are affordable too.

Thanks in advance.http://forums.bajanomad.com/images/smilies/saint.gif
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2011 at 07:11 PM

Rosarito Beach Hotel is very safe and offering all kinds of deals at this time. Check their website. Las Rocas, a bit south of Rosarito, is beautiful as well.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-14-2011 at 07:22 PM
In Rosarito, the Rosarito Beach Hotel

It is historic and beautiful. There are pictures of the movie stars that stayed there, there are historic murals about Mexico.

There is well-secured parking for you vehicle..

The interesting and carefully curated museum about the indigenous people is walking distance.

The hotel is family friendly and you have access to a safe and well-protected, clean sandy beach in front.

Full disclosure: The owner, Hugo Torres and Rosy (his daughter) are my friends on Facebook, but I do not work for them nor am I involved with their individual activities.

I just like the hotel.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
bajatravelergeorge
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-14-2011 at 09:30 PM

The hotel Coral is tops in Ensenada. Always booked up so make reservations early if you want to stay there. For something quieter, try esterro beach south of town.
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2011 at 07:55 PM

If you are going to be in Rosatito, get a Revelco anti theft device, and bullet proof vests for your family, just in case.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-15-2011 at 08:01 PM

try the pyramid resort. Keri has a beautiful place away from the madness and crowds, which are a short drive in either direction when you need a fix.

RosaritoKen

[*] posted on 6-15-2011 at 09:28 PM

I echo the comments above regarding the Rosarito Beach Hotel... central location, great beach activities, and a complete facility. And in the full disclosure department, the family is so active in the community, it's hard not to know them! In fairness... if you prefer a smaller place, Los Pelicanos is nice, cheaper, but not as well located.

In Ensenada I recommend the San Nicholas or El Rey Sol Posada.

For both cities... it is nice to be "in town" because there are shops, cafes, etc within walking distance.

Enjoy your trip!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2011 at 10:50 PM

When in Ensenada, I'd definitely stay at the El Coral again. I just was there 2 weeks ago during the Baja 500 and it was top notch! Decent food too.

I also like Las Rocas when staying in Rosarito area. The beach/rocks there is pretty cool as well for the kids.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2011 at 11:01 PM

Good for you.....that the cartel violence hasn't scared you off. Having a home in Baja.....I have never had a issue.

Somewhere here in the forums....there was a post on "the best taco stands in Ensenada". ......check it out if you love tacos.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2011 at 12:07 PM

Quite refreshing to read, dismiss snarky comments you may
hear. The biggest hassle of a trip of your description
is waiting in line to cross back, sometimes 2 hr plus
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2011 at 01:27 PM
let me add this if you will....

yeah.....crossing back to home is pure punishment.......sitting in that line. We usually take a few books / dvd to kill time. Also....I always carry 5 gallons of water in case the truck overheats.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2011 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajatravelergeorge
The hotel Coral is tops in Ensenada. Always booked up so make reservations early if you want to stay there. For something quieter, try esterro beach south of town.

The originator of this thread actually did not appear to be seeking hotel suggestions for Ensenada. At least that's how I read his post.

That said, and given that robski mentioned having access to a beach, your suggestion of Hotel Coral and the Estero Beach Hotel, both really fine resorts, reminded me that access to the "beach scene" is not part of the central Ensenada experience, inasmuch as it front a commercial harbor.

So, leaving the beach thing out, staying in the downtown area provides a great opportunity to walk around and visit many shops and an assortment of restaurants. In town, over the years, we have narrowed down our selection to either Posada El Rey Sol, or the San Nicolas.

[Edited on 6-16-2011 by Bajahowodd]
robski

[*] posted on 6-16-2011 at 04:10 PM

Thanks for all who responded and gave suggestion.

If its just me and my wife I would rather go stay in ensenada area and a little bit farther down but time and a family friend invited us that to visit them in rosarito. We'll be back for sure after this trip for a longer stay and hopefully further south.

mcfez, as far as scared, I live in one of the ghetto area of sacramento which is in south (elk grove area) where crime always happen everyday and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. "Life is too short". I'll search for the taco stand you mentioned in ensenada. Thanks...

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Good for you.....that the cartel violence hasn't scared you off. Having a home in Baja.....I have never had a issue.

Somewhere here in the forums....there was a post on "the best taco stands in Ensenada". ......check it out if you love tacos.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2011 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robski
Thanks for all who responded and gave suggestion.

If its just me and my wife I would rather go stay in ensenada area and a little bit farther down but time and a family friend invited us that to visit them in rosarito. We'll be back for sure after this trip for a longer stay and hopefully further south.

mcfez, as far as scared, I live in one of the ghetto area of sacramento which is in south (elk grove area) where crime always happen everyday and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. "Life is too short". I'll search for the taco stand you mentioned in ensenada. Thanks...

Quote:

Poor guy......Elk Grove! :o
Try Elverta...it's a killer .
There are many BN's that live in that area....you should hook with a few for a 10 cent tour of the towns. Enjoy your stay down there.

Nappo
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2011 at 09:12 PM

Ensenada-
My wife and I always stay at Punta Morro, which is next to the university just north of town. Beautiful, isolated, 24 rooms - out on a point - - Once you figure out how to get there, (follow the university kids) you'll love it =- away from the roads, crowds and has a world class restaurant overlooking the water (it's been highlighted in restaurant magazines) Often groups rent out the whole place for weddings - yep it's that gorgeous! Google it and see what you think. The only problem is you won't think you're in Baja other than the ocean views from every room, the waves putting you to sleep and the absolute quiet!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
yeah.....crossing back to home is pure punishment.......sitting in that line. We usually take a few books / dvd to kill time. Also....I always carry 5 gallons of water in case the truck overheats.

...and an empty jug just in case

Bob Durrell
Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 11:48 AM

What kind of beach thing are you looking for? Most of the beaches north of Ensenda are rock not sand. From Salsipuedes to south of downtown most are not good swimming beaches for the kids. Estero beach is has a classic sand beach without a lot of waves, anywhere around the back of the bay has more sand.
La Mission / La Fonda also has nice sand beaches that are good for swimming, but a 1/2 hour to Ensenda.
The water will not be that warm by the way figure about 63-68 degrees.
If you haven't been to Ensenda before consider The Estero Beach Hotel, not cheap. Go there get the lay of the land check out what you are looking for. U2U me if you want more info.
MMc

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike99km
What kind of beach thing are you looking for? Most of the beaches north of Ensenda are rock not sand. From Salsipuedes to south of downtown most are not good swimming beaches for the kids.

Doesn't San Miguel have a sandy beach? I don't remember.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 09:23 PM

i would go with rosarito beach hotel and estero beach...if you want beach! in any case, rosarito beach hotel gives you the best of both worlds and their spa is FANTASTIC. want to be "in town" in Ensenada?...the Corona or San Nicolas puts you within in walking distance to pretty much everything.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
Mike99km
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2011 at 10:07 AM

San Miguel does have some sand. It is not a swimming beach, the shore and the line up are rocks. I love the place, but not so good for a first timer with kids.

You live the life you settle for.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W. C. Fields.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.