BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: "Fast Track Pass" lane is closed today (and until who knows when)... Have ticky, no passy.
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 05:01 PM
"Fast Track Pass" lane is closed today (and until who knows when)... Have ticky, no passy.

Today the Fast Pass lane at the San Ysidro border crossing was closed. People drove up to the booth, but they had yellow tape across it and never raised the gate. The lane is being torn apart further ahead due to the Border remodel project. All Fast Pass vehicles were directed to the right towards the bus terminal and weren't even allowed to go forward and cut into the regular crossing lanes. Brutal. 12 noon: 2 hour wait today in the left 12 lanes, 3 hours in the right six they have open.

I'm sorry- but wtf are these people thinking? This is peak summer tourist season and their last chance to make any impression on tourists. Aren't they supposed to be ready for tourists? It's like an Olympic host city finishing the stadium the week after the closing ceremonies. They could have accommodated the Fast Pass people into the regular lanes and kept those people happy. Do you think these people are going to try using that again? There are epic waiting times due to construction- 300 cars per lane. And the Toll Road from TJ to Rosarito is being re-paved section by section right now too. Only traffic cones are being used to separate single lane 55mph traffic so be very careful driving, esp at night.

I think the impact of the longer border crossing waits will be huge and the construction project has a ways to go too. I'm surprised Mexico hasn't started a conspiracy theory claiming the USA is sabotaging their tourism with this project to get tousits to spend their money NOB instead.

[Edited on 7-8-2011 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2011 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I'm sorry- but wtf are these people thinking? This is peak summer tourist season and their last chance to make any impression on tourists.

I haven't seen complaints like this for five years. Slim Helu must have bought the S.D. Union and the L.A. Times.
LVtoBaja

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 11:57 AM

We found this out the hard way yesterday...decided to go to Otay Mesa to cross, but waited 4.5 hours to get over. Any idea when the Fast Pass lane in TJ/San Ysidro will re-open?
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LVtoBaja
We found this out the hard way yesterday...decided to go to Otay Mesa to cross, but waited 4.5 hours to get over. Any idea when the Fast Pass lane in TJ/San Ysidro will re-open?

A sign would have been nice, huh? I suppose the reality is the Mexico side doesn't know what the USA is doing until that day starts. But they could have just let you enter where you were, so Mexico clearly has no day to day contingency plan. 4.5 Hours at Otay? Geesh. You could have flown to NY in that time.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 04:13 PM

Wow, that really sucks. If anyone gets any information on the fast pass lane and when it might open, I would really appreciate it. My 93-year-old dad and 82-year-old stepmother are coming to visit from North Carolina on the 18th and 19th, and there is no way in hell they can 1) sit in the car for 2-4 hours; 2) walk across. We were hoping to take them down to see our place, but may just have to make other plans and avoid Baja. I really hate that, as it might be the last chance he gets to see it:(
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 04:14 PM

Bureaucrats responsible to no one, I imagine.
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 05:42 PM

Border Wait Times Spike Up To Three Hours:

"Even crossers with SENTRI passes have been affected because they face long lines just to be able to reach the fast-pass lanes.

Last Friday morning, officials had closed one SENTRI lane because of the construction, backing up traffic to the Rio zone in the other two dedicated lanes, pushing the wait time to 40 minutes. And on Tuesday around 6:30 p.m. it took motorists with this pass up to two hours to cross."

http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/14477/Border-wait-times-...

Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 06:07 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: More tequila Palease~~~~:lol::lol:

READY SET.....................
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 06:13 PM

Just a "DOG DAY SUMMER" had my brother-in-law with his wife and two kids come visit me and got them a fast trac to go back home today. I had sent them on their way and they called back telling me San Ysidro fast trac closed and they were pushed back into T.J. What a crock as the fast trac pass is only good for 48 hours so you know Mexico will not honor this pass later than 48 hours.

Felt really bad for them as they had appointments in San Diego and allowed themselves 4 hours to make them. Well, they had to go find their way to Otay Mesa and it took almost 5 hours to get across. Just sad as Hell and I will not have anyone else come down while this circus at the border is happening.

Woooosh, you are absolutely correct in that the USA had their heads up where the sunshine does not shine to be doing this construction while summer and travel is happening. Mexico is also in the same unlighted area due to not being on top of this and getting their fast trac people taken care of to avoid peeing them off. Thus, they can count on not having them return after being subjected to these unreal waits. Just sad and now I may have to hustle to get timeshare weeks established in San Diego for visiting relatives, as again I will not have them endure these long waits just too hard and totally uncalled for!!

Mexico had better do something fast or they will see even less returning tourist than they can imagine. This work on the border lanes should only be done from 10pm to 6am period as to do it any other times only clods this border up and makes for serious health issues for those being forced to endure long waits inside their vehicles. Mad as Hell and will definately give my Congressman an ear ful,l as I know where his office is and how to get access to him. Wow, just plain dumb people running the USA customs and Mexico again is right in the mix also. Can you tell I am really upset!!! Take Care & Travel Safe-------------- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 06:25 PM

Yeah, I can tell you're upset. The worst part is when they turn you away and you can't get anywhere's near the end of the lanes from that loop by the bus terminal. I suspect that is why your family just opted to head to Otay. By the time you figure out the work-around and get past all the taped-off turns you're almost to the airport anyway. I really don't think it would do any good to complain because the USA doesn't really care. They kind of look down at those of us who live on both sides of the border and figure we deserve whatever it is we get- from stolen cars to four hour waits. Geesh huh?

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 08:38 PM

The bad thing is that the work they are doing and the stages they are doing with the workforce they having doing it is unacceptable for a major port of entry. They should have double the amount of equipment and manpower working 10pm until 5am with the last hour clearing equipment serving it getting it ready for the next shift. They should have all of the equipment and manpower doing the work off the line by 6am every morining. This should be a 7 day work job with two crews one part-time finishing the job up on the extra days to avoid exceeding large amounts of overtime. Just power administrative planning with little or no knowledge of a working port of entry. I have met several port directors over the years and believe me the "Peter Principle" is alive and working well. The same goes with the Mexican administration as they are looking to take care of their families with business ties to the Mexican side of the work. Just unbelievable and both sides had better wake up before the ruin it for all of them! Take Care & Travel Safe---- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 11:33 PM

http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/14867/Baja-motorists-stu...

TIJUANA - Dozens of motorists and buses traveling to Mexicali were stuck in a highway pass at La Rumorosa for more than two hours at midday Thursday in temperatures that reached 110 degrees Fahrenheit as crews repaired the pavement.

With no warning from authorities, drivers had to stop and wait in the punishing heat in La Rumorosa, a curving mountain road about 70 miles east of Tijuana. Some of them expressed their outrage through social media.

“They are fixing the street at 12 p.m., it’s been 1 hr and 20 min in the middle of Rumorosa…. Don’t they work at night?!” Gaby Gómez posted to her Facebook page.

Around 3 p.m., the lane that descends toward the Laguna Salada reopened and traffic began to flow, authorities reported.

Enrique Moran White, the administrator of La Rumorosa, said the long wait was caused by a “complication” during the work done on the damaged asphalt of a curve.

“It was a job that should have taken 15 or 20 minutes, but we had a complication with the machinery,” the official said.

He said there was urgency in doing the repair at that hour because the curve showed serious damage.

“Our goal is to prevent accidents and that stretch of highway needed to be repaired quickly.”

He said he understood the travelers’ frustration and said that all repair work will be suspended until after the peak vacation season ends.

Information from Alexandra Mendoza was used in this news.

Andrea.garcia@sandiegored.comText

[Edited on 7-8-2011 by Woooosh]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 04:48 AM

there is nada south of the border that's worth even an hour breathing fumes in a line.
last time that it took me 90 minutes i vowed never again.
and i haven't done that since.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 02:40 PM

Mike, I know how you feel and when I am angry I say the same dang thing. However, I love going down South and I end up breaking my vow in hopes of things changing for the better. I just wish they would use some common sense when doing things at border ports or like what happened in La Rumorosa in the hottest part of the day. Just people doing dumb things affecting others. Take Care & Travel Safe------------- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajafun777
Mike, I know how you feel and when I am angry I say the same dang thing. However, I love going down South and I end up breaking my vow in hopes of things changing for the better. I just wish they would use some common sense when doing things at border ports or like what happened in La Rumorosa in the hottest part of the day. Just people doing dumb things affecting others. Take Care & Travel Safe------------- "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Just say "stuck on stupid", and Mexico doesn't have the exclusive rights to that.

SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 07:47 PM

Would appreciate updates on this subject. I'm hoping they do something to make the Fast Pass lane available again. There was a schedule somewhere that showed their planned schedule for which lanes were to be closed and when, but I can't remember where that is or if, in fact, it is even right....when visiting the CBP website for border wait times, it doesn't look that bad. Is this thing in real time????
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonniwhen visiting the CBP website for border wait times, it doesn't look that bad. Is this thing in real time????

not so much. They say they don't want bad guys to know when they can drive right up to the crossing gate (although that's a very rare day now). You can try this site and register just for the free viewing. Many Live cameras so you can set a plan before you leave home:

http://www.bordertraffic.com/California-Baja/San-Ysidro-Tiju...

Woooosh July Driving Tip #1 (of 1). Normal northbound route from Playas de Tijuana to San Ysidro. Don't wait until the "Smart and Final" exit to get off the via rapida. The cops tape that exit off when the line is backed-up past the Smart & Final (usually). Instead take the turn before the Bomberos Station then turn left and get in line. I just drive right through downtown instead of the via rapida and get into the #2 lane all the way through. You don't want to have to do the Zona Rio go-around if the Smart & Final lanes are taped off.

[Edited on 7-9-2011 by Woooosh]

SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-9-2011 at 09:50 AM

Registered, but the video doesn't come up, no matter which "camera" I click on. Tried a different browser, to no avail. Just get a popup wanting me to buy the VIP package. GRRRRR
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 7-9-2011 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
Registered, but the video doesn't come up, no matter which "camera" I click on. Tried a different browser, to no avail. Just get a popup wanting me to buy the VIP package. GRRRRR

yeah, you have to be persistent. Click directly on the free camera icons and they will display the live camera, they do for me anyway with Google Chrome. All these camera sites are annoying if you don't pay for sure.

SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 06:03 AM

Anyone have experience that this lane has reopened??
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.