Author: Subject: Thanks...giving
Nan&D
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 08:46 PM
Thanks...giving

Happy Thanksgiving Day everyone.
Time for friends, family, and food....
N

Visit us for info and pics of Bahia Asuncion and Galaria Bahia at http://www.nancypridham.blogspot.com
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 08:58 PM

?Merry Christmas?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 08:59 PM

HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY (tomorrow)
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2011 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nan&;D
N

I think she's referring to Canadian Thanksgiving.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:
Originally posted by Nan&;D
N

I think she's referring to Canadian Thanksgiving.

2nd Monday in October.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 08:01 AM

I give thanks to Nan & D for hosting an amazing Thanksgiving (canuck) dinner complete with all the fixings...and celebrating Izaak's first birthday too...great party compas!!! And a happy turkey day to all our paisanos up north...any snow yet? hahahahaha

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
EmeraldDawn
Junior Nomad

Mood: Boingy.

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 08:08 AM

Say how come Canada gets its own thanksgiving - it ain't even a state?

(just kiddin')
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldDawn

(just kiddin')

Fact is, they're in a better "State" than we are.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 04:06 PM

Thanksgiving here all right. Except for my wife is having a hard time with the 'probe' in the turkey. Wish she had figured this new oven out a little earlier then today.

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:

(just kiddin')

-----largely because they allow "drill, drill, drill", or some variation of it. Commodities are the name of the profitable-game in Canada so yes, they are in better shape than we are. (Duh)

We could learn from them---------I say HAPPY THANKGIVING to our savy northern neighbor.

Barry
Tiomiguel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 05:05 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all Canadians down there. Shari, our weather in Ontario is pretty good, we went sailing Saturday and Sunday a nice walk on the beach. The water is about 67 degrees and many were swimming yesterday in the 75 degree beautiful sunny weather. No sign of snow yet.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:

(just kiddin')

I actually had to chuckle at that, Ed.

Although not wishing to get into a big riff on it, for the most part, you are correct. Just look at healthcare, por ejemplo. All the horror stories that are splashed over the internet usually involve folks looking to get "IMMEDIATE" care for stuff that would be considered in any country as optional.

And here, for all to view, is a list of Canadian celebrities. I'm willing to bet that many of you will be surprised at how many folks you watch in movies and on TV are not US born. But alas, those light-skinned aliens who speak impeccable English....

Maybe ask yourself just who has made the greater contribution to our lives, versus what they took out.

Mexicans have slaved in the fields. They have sweated in the kitchens. They have mowed the lawns, and cleaned the pools. And they have taken little back.

http://www.imdb.com/list/k6wtVKvS28w/
Nan&D
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 05:34 PM

Thanks giving Monday. Often a sweet and bitter day.
Here, morning walk, boat motor repairs, visiting an ill amigo, meeting his shining young baby son, boogie-boarding, visiting with a new amiga and trying to explain how this is a thanks giving for all instead of gracias por Dios, and ultimately Leftovers.
N

Visit us for info and pics of Bahia Asuncion and Galaria Bahia at http://www.nancypridham.blogspot.com
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 06:51 PM

Many friends and family here on a rainy blustery day eating a true cornucopia of food...turkey with all the fixings and strawberry rhubarb and pumpkin pie. It was a good time had by all. Now it is recovery time with the crossword puzzle and sitting around the wood heater. I feel very thankful for this generous life and hope all our friends North, South, East and West are finding this day one of goodness and health.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 06:55 PM

ohhhhhhhh I wish I had known I could do 2 thanksgivings .... next year I will for sure

:bounce:

giving thanks for all. many thanks.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 06:56 PM

And that, redmesa, is what it is all about-thanks.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2011 at 06:58 PM

The origins of the first Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean. Frobisher's Thanksgiving celebration was not for harvest, but for homecoming. He had safely returned from an unsuccessful search for the Northwest Passage, avoiding the later fate of Henry Hudson and Sir John Franklin. In the year 1578, Frobisher held a formal ceremony in Newfoundland to give thanks for surviving the long journey.[3] Years later, the tradition of a feast would continue as more settlers began to arrive to the Canadian colonies.[4]

The pilgrims first thanksgiving was 1621 so Canada has a long traditions of thanking.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-11-2011 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
Thanksgiving here all right. Except for my wife is having a hard time with the 'probe' in the turkey. .

Here is Sirenita probing the turkey...tia Nancy taught her how to make gravy...still eating leftovers today...yum yum

after the party revellers went home Izaak relaxed with a nightcap for his first birthday.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 10-11-2011 at 07:48 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh my...must I question my parenting skills?? How did I not notice this part!

Thanks Nan&;D for an AMAZING dinner and good times with all of you great friends, it was a night to remember for sure!

And of course little Izaak made the best of the evening, opening presents and smearing creamy caramel cake all over mommy's blouse...and his hair....and face....need I say more?

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-12-2011 at 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
The origins of the first Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean. Frobisher's Thanksgiving celebration was not for harvest, but for homecoming. He had safely returned from an unsuccessful search for the Northwest Passage, avoiding the later fate of Henry Hudson and Sir John Franklin. In the year 1578, Frobisher held a formal ceremony in Newfoundland to give thanks for surviving the long journey.[3] Years later, the tradition of a feast would continue as more settlers began to arrive to the Canadian colonies.[4]

The pilgrims first thanksgiving was 1621 so Canada has a long traditions of thanking.

News Flash: 'Pushy Canucks beat Yanks to the banquet table.'

"Hoo-boy....That means the first Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

Well, they don't get by with 'jumping the gun' in a hockey game.
" :rolleyes:

Canadian Thanksgiving - Official Holiday

Back in the day, for a few hundred years, Canada’s Thanksgiving was celebrated in either late October or early November, before it was declared a national holiday in 1879. It was then, that November 6th was set aside as the official Thanksgiving holiday.

But then on January 31, 1957, Canadian Parliament proclaimed that on the second Monday in October, Thanksgiving would be "a day of general thanksgiving to almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed."

Thanksgiving was moved to the second Monday in October because after the World Wars, Remembrance Day (November 11th) and Thanksgiving kept falling in the same week and there was just too much La Batt's celebrating going on for most sober Canucks.

Canadian Thanksgiving – Just over The 49th Parallel

Another reason for Canadian Thanksgiving arriving earlier than its American counterpart is that Canada is geographically further north than the United States…well, duh?..… causing the Canadian harvest season to arrive earlier than the American harvest season…because it’s sooo far north!

And since Thanksgiving for Canadians is more about giving thanks for the harvest season than the arrival of illegal pilgrims without tourist visas, it makes sense to celebrate the holiday in October.

So what are the differences between Canadian and American Thanksgiving, other than the date?.... Not much!

Both Canadians and Americans celebrate Thanksgiving with parades, family gatherings, pumpkin pie and a whole lot of turkey!

So, Nomads…..What will you be doing to celebrate the 'American' and/or Mexican Thanksgivings this year?

Got any family traditions that you're looking forward to?

As for me....I'm gonna try 'dressing' this turkey. ;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.