Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Gonzaga
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 06:14 PM

Jeez, dk. I hardly think it's fair to say that if you don't want to drive dirt roads (or are unequipped for it), why go to Baja? I thought yoU were the pied piper of Baja? Promoting tourism and wishing everyone would do all they can to bring income south?

My first trip, with my family and a Coleman pop up camper in July, was one of the best I've eve had. And aside from the stretch between the town of Bahia and La Gringa, and the road between San Jose del Cabo and La Ribera, we saw no dirt whatsoever!

I know you're into YOUR way of doing things, but there's a whole world out there, and many different ways to enjoy onself. For example, I still don't give flying flock about the Missions, lost or otherwise.

[Edited on 1-16-2012 by Roberto]
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 07:48 PM

thanks to everyone for the clarification on the road conditions from Gonzaga to Hwy 1. I read somewhere that it was a five-hour ordeal and that is a little much for me. We're accustomed to washboard roads in the East Cape and forest service roads in Colorado, but we're not equipped with serious skid plates and a winch and wanted to be sure that wasn't the case.

We're anxious to see some new scenery.

thanks, again.

John
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 07:51 PM

hey jonh. i doubt you'll need a winch (wench?) or skidplate on that road. pucker up and check it out. just go slow(er) with a trailer.

john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 07:57 PM

Woody--

I'll be taking my wench of 44 years duration, but no winch, and will take it slow.

thanks.

John
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 08:00 PM

attaboy! take some pics and report back when you return.

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 08:02 PM

John68:
You will not!!....need skid plates or a winch. We drove the old THAT ROAD before it was fixed for years without them and you certainly don't need them now. David K has given you the numbers from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay and on to Highway one...they are accurate. On the 14 miles of road south of Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay there are only two or three spots where you will have to be careful with your trailer. There is washboard too...14 miles of it to Gonzaga Bay and another 31-35 to Mex 1. But it has been graded pretty well. If you go slow your trailer should be OK..just bring spares.

The good part of the road south of Puertecitos is newly paved and if it were four lanes it would be a freeway...no problema.!!.

Just go.

BB
john68
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2012 at 08:03 PM

thanks, again, for all the great advice.

I'll let you know how it goes.

John
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-16-2012 at 07:15 AM

Made my bones on "that road". Rattled apart my bull guard in two places and put a dent in my skid plate that my mechanic said was 1/8" away from major damage. Guess I was going along a bit to fast. Someday soon all will be just a memory. Ya can't stop progress. Look a BOLA.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-16-2012 at 04:16 PM

Here is the road log San Felipe to Laguna Chapala I did last July.... Note that the End of Pavement has since been extended to approx. Mile 32.0, near Campo Delfines:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following road log was made on the July 4th weekend, 2011.

MILE / KM. Marker

0.0 San Felipe (Traffic Circle by Pemex stations, south turn)

0.8 Pemex station and market on south side of town

6.0 Left Turn off Airport Road, Km. 0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(add 6.0 miles to following for distance from traffic circle)

The next 45 miles are well paved, but many short, steep and unmarked dips will require reduced speed to avoid damage.

0.0 / Km. 0 Airport Road/ Puertecitos Road Jcn.

12.5 / Km. 20-21 Rancho Percebu Road

15.7 / Km. 26+ Shell Island Road

18.6 / Km. 31 Bahia Santa Maria Road

19.3 / Km. 32+ Nuevo Mazatlan Road

21.5 / Km. 35.5 Colonia Delicias (markets/ restaurants)

29.6 / Km. 49 El Coloradito Road

32.8 / Km. 54 Campo Cristina Road

35.4 / Km. 58.5 Los Olivos Road

36.1 / Km. 60 Arroyo Matomi

36.3 Rancho San Rafael (well)

43.4 / Km. 72 Playa Destiny

44.9 / Km. 74+ PUERTECITOS (paved) Road
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The newest paved additions to Hwy. 5 are well engineered, wide and are designed and signed for high speed. However, frequent rock slides onto pavement require caution.

0.0 / Km. 74+ Puertecitos Road

5.0 / Km. 83 Bahia Cristina

6.1 / Km. 84.5 La Costilla

7.2 mine road

16.4 El Huerfanito Road

18.9 Bridge at previous end of pavement (July 2010)

20.1 / Km. 311 Change of Km. markers, distance from Mexicali

23.6 / Km. 317

24.1 / Km. 318 END OF PAVED DRIVE JULY 3, 2011, detour onto older road, regraded smooth. Pavement ends just ahead on new roadbed.

25.5 Okie Landing site.

32.0 END OF NEW ROAD CONSTRUCTION and end of smooth dirt detour on older road. *APPROX. END OF PAVED DRIVE JAN. 1, 2012

32.4 Campo Delfines Road

35.6 Las Encantadas Road

37.7 Punta Bufeo Road

42.4 Papa Fernandez' Road, roadbed south of here is better/ faster.

43.6 Miltary Checkpoint

45.0 GONZAGA BAY PEMEX/ ALFONSINA'S ROAD/ RANCHO GRANDE MARKET (Pemex closed from 2-4 pm for siesta)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0.0 Gonzaga Bay Pemex

1.2 Road left to Campo Beluga (2.0 mi.) and El Sacrificio (4.2 mi.)

7.1 Road right to Las Palmitas Oasis (4.7 mi.) and Santa Maria Canyon (4.0 mi.).

14.4 First Boojum Trees on Hwy. 5.

14.6 La Turquesa Canyon Road, right.

18.4 Las Arrastras (site) Road, right.

22.1 Coco's Corner (Puerto Calamajue and Mision Calamajue road left).

34.8 Hwy. 1, Laguna Chapala (Cataviņa is 33 miles north).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

eddie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2012 at 09:54 PM
san felipe - gonzaga bay - hwy 1

we were told "it's a rough road... just take it slowly." that's an understatement! we did it in a '92 f250 w/ a cabover camper - ouch! maybe if we'd just had a new truck + camper shell;)
we've a healthy respect for all the amigos who've done this over the years, especially those who maneuvered their 5th wheels & travel trailers all the way to the beautiful bay! coco told us 'back in the day,' it would have taken us over a week to make this same trip. fyi, took an hr and a half from campo los delfines (end of paved road) to pemex at rancho grande... today's trek took almost 5 hrs to get from there back over to hwy 1 (with brief visit at coco's corner). other than cabinets opening & dumping contents twice, it was a very slow trip thru beautiful, rugged scenery - surprisingly green, perfect temps. made it to g.n. safe & sound but suggest you take hwy 1 with your boat! onward to 'clam bay'...
eddie
Junior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 1-17-2012 at 10:13 PM
p.s. - air for tires

very nice man (llantera) with compressor a km. or so south of lake chapala road on hwy 1 - he was happy to provide air to reinflate our tires.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 10:34 AM

very nice man (llantera) with compressor a km. or so south of lake chapala road on hwy 1 - he was happy to provide air to reinflate our tires.

That guys the man. He's helped us before.

yuletide
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by eddie

I think Bajamatic meant to quote (not copy), but I echo both of your sentiments. And I believe that man's name is Miguel.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 10:49 AM

:bounce:

yuletide
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 10:54 AM

:lol:
coloradoboardheads

[*] posted on 1-18-2012 at 01:09 PM

I would not pull a small trailer on that road unless the goal was to stay in Gonzaga Bay.

I just drove the road a week ago in a Toyota Tundra with fox shocks. No problem,..I was able to drive fast to "smooth out the bumps". With a lightly loaded trailer you will need to go very slowly.

If you do decide to go that route, be sure that you carefully pad any metal objects the could come in contact with your boat or you could get some damage.

For what it's worth, I live in Western Colorado and drive hundreds, probably thousands of miles of washboard per year.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2012 at 10:14 PM

That road is GREAT. Take a few days to drive it...as the sights are endless...and things to do ...more so.

We have been broken down on the road...some miles past Coco's a few years back. Found help! There is always somebody who will indeed...drive by.

Be a shame for you NOT to drive this route.

Quote:
Originally posted by john68
thanks to everyone for the clarification on the road conditions from Gonzaga to Hwy 1. I read somewhere that it was a five-hour ordeal and that is a little much for me. We're accustomed to washboard roads in the East Cape and forest service roads in Colorado, but we're not equipped with serious skid plates and a winch and wanted to be sure that wasn't the case.

We're anxious to see some new scenery.

thanks, again.

John

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2012 at 09:25 AM

It is a 2WD GRADED dirt highway... no skid plates or winches needed. Because it has the typical 'washboard' surface, if you tow over it, slow down and check for loosened nuts and bolts. There is only about 48 miles unpaved between Puertecitos and Hwy. 1... from Campo Delfines to Laguna Chapala.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-29-2012 at 02:26 PM

Just spoke to a friend who has been through Gonzaga in the last 2 weeks.

He tells me the Pemex was out of gasoline.....can anybody confirm this?

Do they expect a delivery and will they have magna....plan to pass through in 2 weeks or so...

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2012 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater
Just spoke to a friend who has been through Gonzaga in the last 2 weeks.

He tells me the Pemex was out of gasoline.....can anybody confirm this?

Do they expect a delivery and will they have magna....plan to pass through in 2 weeks or so...

You should always plan on no gas south of San Felipe. If the Pemex is out, check across the road at Rancho Grande where they used to sell gas before the Pemex was opened. They can only sell gas now when the Pemex is out.

Top your tank in San Felipe... Gonzaga is 100 miles south.

The next Pemex south of Gonzaga is Bahia de los Angeles and Villa Jesus Maria, then the Eagle Monument/ Guerrero Negro.

ALSO, independent dealers sell gas from cans at the Bahia de los Angeles Jcn. on Hwy. 1.

Gas was also advertised at Laguna Chapala, just 36 miles from Gonzaga Bay. Again, don't count on it... be prepared... have gas for 300 miles when you fill up and expect at least 200 miles between gas supplies, just in case!

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.