Author: Subject: Hwy 1 to San Javier to Loreto
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elizzabizzy
Hola Sweetwater--
I'll have to show your post to my husband, he has a KTM and a couple of years ago he and a buddy did a 5-wk trip to Alaska & Canada, they had a blast, he'd luv to be making this trip on his KTM!

So are you saying that you think we can make it from the the sign in your pic up to San Javier in big heavy rigs pulling trailers? One is a 1-ton duelly weighs in @ about 8-9K + trailer with inflatable boat. We're in a 3/4 ton van + trailer pulling ATVs & kayaks. I totally understand what you mean about all the roads being paved, one of our goals is to travel as many dirt roads as possible on this trip. We'd luv to take that route but don't want to get in trouble. We were thinking of taking the alternate route South of where you're standing on Hwy 53 to Cuidad Insurgentes to Hwy 1 then North to Loreto.

Great pix BTW, appreciate you input and what you think about us making it to San Javier from that road sign.

Muchas gracias,
Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I''m pretty conservative with my equipment and probably would not run what you described across that stretch.....but I don't think you would get into trouble doing it.....the trick is the amount of weight, as you well know, motos don't sink into softer material the way fully loaded rigs do......the edge of construction, east of San Javier would be another area of concern....tight turns with construction equipment and no turnoff to follow....they're on the road working while you go through....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Elizzabizzy

Mood: This is not a rehearsal!

[*] posted on 3-4-2012 at 10:29 AM

Happy Sunday Sweetwater--
I should've been more specific in my question to you after your description of the road from the Santo Domingo turnoff to San Javier. Yes, it is the unpaved stretch from San Javier to Loreto that we are concerned about. We've traveled that part of the road before in a small Jeep and the switchbacks and narrow road are a concern to us in these big, heavy rigs pulling trailers that we're traveling in this time. Many thanks for your input, the real-time info from this forum is fantastic. We'll probably stick with the alternate route I mentioned in the previous post.

Many thanks,
E.
dysco

[*] posted on 3-25-2012 at 12:03 PM

Info good as of 3.16.12.

The pavement ends (from the Loreto side) a fair bit after the little stone church. I can't think of any major dirt switchbacks. The paved road was pretty tight and steep, but not bad.

Here are two of the detours, all are managable with a trailer if you take your time:

After San Javier, this is the only major squeezy spot:

The rest of the road is like this (heading west):
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-25-2012 at 01:01 PM

Nice highway update photos!

Thank you for sharing them here and on the Gonzaga thread.

Welcome to Baja Nomad... and I must say this is a great way to start posting here, by giving us updated info on the roads. Looking forward to more posts from you!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dysco

[*] posted on 3-25-2012 at 04:01 PM

You're welcome and thanks. I was in Baja for the first time between the 9th and 18th. I was going to camp off a moto with a friend, but my bike died north of the border so I took his truck down and supported his moto ride. It was great fun and I can't wait to come back with a functional bike and my fishing gear. Somebody posted about this site on my ADV rider dog report so I figured I'd offer what info I had.

Mike
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-25-2012 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dysco
..... Somebody posted about this site on my ADV rider dog report so I figured I'd offer what info I had.Mike

Mike,
I will humbly take credit for that :lol:

As for dogs....I like them as long as someone else owns them....I prefer cats.....

And a cat would simply jump up... (I think cats are a bit smarter):

http://www.wimp.com/dogbackyard/

Don't believe everything you think....
Elizzabizzy

Mood: This is not a rehearsal!

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 03:56 PM

Thanks all for your updates on the San Javier (sure hope I spelled it correctly) road. We reached crossed at Mexicali East where I purchased a MX data card that wasn't activated correctly when at TelCel, made it to Loreto a week later and spent 2 days at a friend's house there, unhooked the trailers and my husband Roger went with our friends to San Javier while I stayed behind to get my data card correctly activated only to be out of reach on "The Far Side" of Bahia Concepcion for the next week. Roger reported the road is exactly like the pix posted by Dysco...so sorry you only had 9 days for your trip! So I'm trying to catch up on my blog now that we are back home, after the fact, but these darn taxes need doing, so it's going to be awhile longer before I'm caught up. We had a fabulous trip, thanks to all for your updates, the info was all very relevant and helpful!

Blog: http://Elizzabizzy.com

\"Life is a short runway, use it all\" ~Unknown
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 06:14 PM

You get an A+ on the San Javier spelling! :bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2012 at 08:48 PM

Travelled from Loreto to San Javier and back on March 18/12. The paved part is lovely with a few steep sections and hairpin turns. The pavement ends and road construction begins for about 20 min. towards San Javier. There were off-road detours not suitable for towed vehicles.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.