BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anyone seen or caught any Corbena (sp?)recently, south of San Felipe
Bajagato
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 11:47 PM
Anyone seen or caught any Corbena (sp?)recently, south of San Felipe

We are Baja Bound tomorrow after a 2 1/2 yr hiatus . So excited!!! We are going to spend Thanksgiving south of San Felipe at my Father-in-laws house at Campo Sequero. Last time were down at Thanksgiving, Chris saw the frenzy in the water from the car,ran down cast a line and 1-2-3' he'd caught three, and we were actually on our way home but it was one little side trip, worth taking. Anyway, I'm not a newbie, I used to spend quite a bit of time down there and then it seemed a little hit and miss with the violence so we just slowed it Down a bit, BUT I AM SO READY NOW,does anyone have any cool places to tell me about,well, I'm pooped and gettin up earlY, SAN FELIPE HERE we COME!!!!!!!
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 11:52 PM

At Gonzaga last month. No pictures.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 06:40 AM

At Gonzaga last week...no corbina. Ask Alejandro at Papa's and he'll tell you he caught 3 there on the north side a couple of weeks ago.
Good sized triggers out there and lots of 12 to 14" of what Alejandro called 'lisas' (sp?). Papa's sent a boat out on Saturday and they came back with a lot of large triggers.

We camped on the beach on the north side of Papa's and two or three net boats worked that area all night long, sometimes sounding like they were right on shore outside our tent! Few bites of size the next mornings 100 yards offshore fishing off our Kayak...connection? Then all day in same area, Pangas netting. This went on the entire week we were there. Seems like the approaching asphalt is the least of worries at Gonzaga.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 07:02 AM

The fishing in the immediate area of San Felipe.........sucks! Dont bother. Go an hour down the road and fish off any point, you'll be very happy.

Hour from SF....
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48757#pid5618...

Triggers are fantastic fishing.........great fight and great tasting, similar taste to Lobster.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48739#pid5616...

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 08:23 AM

i did not think the corvina fishing ever went away but I agree with Fez....go a little bit south find a nice beach and throw out your line!!! Have fun. I will be doing that in about a month from now and REALLY looking forward to it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 09:37 AM

BajaGato/ BajaAddict: Have a great time you two! Sorry, I don't have any recent fishing news... but corbina is what had us returning to Nuevo Mazatlan (Agua de Chale) year after year... would drive the 1.5 miles north and fish at the entrance to Bahia Santa Maria (no name back then, we just called it 'The Lagoon') on incoming high tides.

Mom and a typical 'double hookup' in 1967:

nbacc: The Corvina (v) is a totally different species of fish than the Corbina (b), but both live in the same region and in Spanish, they both have the same sounding name. The Corbina has a mouth that points down (b=bottom mouth) and the Corvina has a mouth in front. The Croaker (boca dulce) is related to the Corbina and also caught in the gulf.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 09:45 AM

They allow Redding folks into Baja? ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by nbacc
i did not think the corvina fishing ever went away but I agree with Fez....go a little bit south find a nice beach and throw out your line!!! Have fun. I will be doing that in about a month from now and REALLY looking forward to it.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 10:19 AM

DK's photos are definately corBina but the surf in the back ground says Pacific. I have heard of corBina in the SOC but haven't seen on myself. Only corVina in the SOC as far as I can attest to.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 10:48 AM

the photo is 20 miles south of San Felipe the mountain in the distance is Punta Estrella. The Surf is maybe 1 ft. from wind. Corbina is the common surf fish here in Alta California as well as on both sides of Baja.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 04:50 PM

ha.......interesting info on Corvina, corbena and everything inbetween. Thanks. AND yes, every now and again they let people into Baja from Redding. Thank goodness. nancy
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 05:06 PM

1 kind of Corbina and 3 kinds of Corvina...

Great photos and info at MexFish.com :

CALIFORNIA CORBINA (Menticirrhus undulatus):

In Mexican fishing waters, the California Corbina is found all along the Pacific side of the Baja California peninsula, and throughout the Sea of Cortez.

ORANGEMOUTH CORVINA (Cynoscion xanthulus):

In Mexican fishing waters the Orangemouth Corvina is found north of Acapulco along the coast of the mainland and throughout the Sea of Cortez. Note: The Orangemouth Corvina was successfully introduced into the Salton Sea in the early 1950’s where it has thrived.

SHORTFIN CORVINA (Cynoscion parvipinnis):

In Mexican fishing waters, the Shortfin Covina is found along the Pacific side of the Baja California Sur peninsula and throughout the Gulf of California. However, it is absent south of Mazatlan along the mainland coast.

STRIPED CORVINA (Cynoscion reticulates):

The Striped Corvina is only found in waters of the Pacific Ocean and ranges in Mexican fishing waters from Magdalena Bay south along the coast of the Baja peninsula, throughout the Sea of Cortez, and along the coast of the Mexican mainland south to Guatemala

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 09:36 AM

Get to at least Black Mountain south of Puertecitos and then find a road to the beach...not as easy as it once was with the new highway. More than points, they actually like sandy bottom beaches with large boulders and best time is the back half of a rising tide. Chrome krocodiles work just about the best or a red scampi leadhead/plastic. If around you almost always get the strike at the beginning on the "down flutter"... though in shallow water with rocks around you are playing with fire if you let it drop too much!!!! Soft mouths so a light drag...bring them in carefully as they croak at you. They come and go so be patient. Just about my favorite fish. have fun!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 10:45 AM

this is how we get em!:o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlKRcK3Nv8
jadams
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was at the campo

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 02:32 PM

My friends and I catch corvina and trigger fish on the beach at campo delicias which is maybe a mile past where you are. We use shinny lures and also dry squid bait works good.
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 03:52 PM

Gone south and out kids. Nothing happening now till March. Shrimp hasn't been too bad - $14 a k for azules.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.