Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Taking the LaPaz-Mazatlan Ferry
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 03:55 PM
Taking the LaPaz-Mazatlan Ferry

Here is a little about taking the Ferry to Mazatlan from LaPaz and returning.

Pets: the first pet is free. The second costs 105 Pesos each way.
They do have a pet area now. You take your pet from the car and car deck, or if a walk on passenger - take to the reception area on the 5th deck. There is an elevator from the 3rd floor car deck (where walk on passengers arrive) to the 5th deck reception.
From reception someone will guide you down the hall, through the salon and out on to the back deck. You go through a locked gate, down a flight and 1/2 of steep stairs, hang a short left. You are now back down on the 4th deck.
There is a big open door, with 4 huge plastic installed, permanent crates with stainless steel bar doors. You can leave water with the pet in the crate, but no food.
The door is left open all the time, so there is fresh air.
At the end of the trip, do the same in reverse.

Cost: 1078 Pesos per person each way. This includes dinner from 5 to 7pm and breakfast from 8 to 9am. Take your ticket with you to the meals to be scanned.

Not gourment, but not un-edibile, either.
Dinner: meat, fish or chicken. With rice, beans and tortillas.
Breakfast: eggs with salchichas or machaca. With chilaquiles, beans and tortillas.
They sell fruit plates, juice, pop, beer, muffins and rolls, fruit, sabritas, etc.

Cabins with windows and bathrooms: 770 Pesos
The cabins are on the 6th deck and most look out onto life boats or air vents. Don't count on a view.
The sheets are clean, there are reading lights, lots of hot water in the shower, shampoo and soap with towels provided. Don't plan on charging your cell phone, kindle, computer or camera while on the ferry. No plug ins.
The carpet might not have been vacuumed recently, but better than I expected - cleanliness wise.

To take the truck: 2303 Pesos each way.
Note: if you have a kayak rack or any type of rack on your truck, that is classified as a cargo carrier and has a different cost.

Depart LaPaz 5pm and arrive in Mazatlan about 10:30am.
Depart Mazatlan 4pm and arrive in LaPaz about 9 or so am.
Took us 3 hours to get through the Military Inspection XRay point!

Also the LaPaz ferry dock has some sort of longshoremen's union or something called API and they get you for 150 Pesos going and returning for using their facilities.

Also after the military inspection on the return to LaPaz, there is a 30 Pesos Agricultural spray - like the one in Guerrero Negro.

Mazatlan is easy to depart the ship and to board the ship and no extra costs. LaPaz is a nightmare.

Also, if for some reason you need to change your reservations, they will do that, but it is 180 Pesos per ticket. We had 3 tickets: Passenger, Auto and Operator and Cabin. So to change the reservations was 540 Pesos.

Also, cabins sell out fast. The non windowed cabins also have no bathrooms and have bunk beds.

There are big TV's in the salon and cafeteria going all the time. Beethoven, Toy Story - a big variety of viewing pleasure. Reception also rents DVD's.

All in all we had a wonderful 2 weeks in Mazatlan with family there and from Alaska.

Stayed at the Mariana Beach Hotel and Apartments right between the Royal Villa and Costa De Oro and across the street from Gus y Gus.

The departure and return to LaPaz were the only really trying times.

My photos of the cabins, etc did not turn out very well, sorry.

About the Mazatlan Star. She is 29 years old and was built in Marseille, France. She is about 230 meters long. Kind of a strange layout, but she is really a truck and semi hauler.

And lots of interesting people. We were the only Americans going and coming. Going over were a couple from Britian.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 03:59 PM

What is the maximum length that gets your truck on board for 2303 pesos?

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 04:57 PM

***PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THIS RATE IS FOR VEHICLES 6 METERS IN LENGTH; VERIFY IF YOUR PICK UP TRUCK IS NO LONGER THAN 6 METERS, IF IT IS LONGER, AN EXTRA CHARGE OF $915.00 MX Pesos will be added.

Our truck was 5.4 meters long. but had a kayak rack on it. That was not mentioned when I made the reservation, so when the ticket office at the ferry dock saw the rack, they wanted to charge me more. I argued with them and did not pay the extra.

I made my reservations through Dorian in the LaPaz office. He speaks excellent English.
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 05:01 PM

Super good on the spot info, just one minor correction. The Mazatlan Star is 136 meters or 446 feet, 230 meters would be cruise ship size.

Again, great info, thanks!
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 05:06 PM

I forgot to tell you about the Banjercito permit for taking a US plated car to the mainland.

2000 and older - $200 USD refundable deposit - refundable when you cross the border back into the US and not before. Plus $48.84 USD fee.

2001-2007 - $300 USD refundable deposit and a tiny bit larger fee.

2008 and newer - $400 USD refundable deposit and a tiny bit larger fee.

I corresponded with Gerd:

Erik Fernandez Carranza efernandez@banjercito.com.mx

Who was explicit and has good English. But the permit has to be gotten at the ferry terminal in LaPaz. Parking is 20 Pesos. And takes about 30 minutes - if the system s working.

For all this you get a snazzy sticker to put on your window.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 05:09 PM

Sorry about the length. I did not look it up. The staff on the ferry gave me the information on the ship.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 05:51 PM

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-23-2012 at 06:20 PM

The refundable deposit is valid until you leave the country OR the date which your "visa" expires. The maximum allowable time is the expiration date of your visa.

I have kept mine at times when I have entered and exited Mexico, with the six month FMM. In other words, I did not surrender it as I exited Mexico. I re-entered to use it again.

Thanks for the length info.

cabocarl

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 12:06 PM

If you are driving a US plated car down from the US to catch the ferry to go to the Baja, do you still need to register your car and pay the fee? We were going to leave our car (we have FM3's good thru july) in Cabo and keep the US tags.

Or do you need to drive down the Baja to avoidl the fee?

Last time we drove both ways (thanks for all your help planning the trip) and did not register the car.

Also - how was the dog kennel? could you visit the dogs of leave them with a blanket or toy?

thanks
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 01:27 PM

You will have to write to Gerd at the banjercito e mail address and ask about taking a car from the mainland to the Baja.

You can leave toys and blankets with the dogs in the kennels. They are quite clean and the area is clean. The staff just ask that you give them no food. Just water.

Also you can ask the staff at Reception and they will take you down to visit the dogs.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 03:16 PM

Mula.....This is a great thread packed with useful information!

I think that fares on the ferries across the SOC are subject to a 50% discount for aged passengers with a DIF card. Can you verify if this is the case?

And, if so, does the discount also apply to fees for vehicles and trailers for those with DIF cards?
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabocarl
If you are driving a US plated car down from the US to catch the ferry to go to the Baja, do you still need to register your car and pay the fee? We were going to leave our car (we have FM3's good thru july) in Cabo and keep the US tags.

Or do you need to drive down the Baja to avoidl the fee?

Last time we drove both ways (thanks for all your help planning the trip) and did not register the car.

Also - how was the dog kennel? could you visit the dogs of leave them with a blanket or toy?

thanks

if you drive south of Guaymas, I can't remember the km marker, you have to import your car, free zone until there, like Baja's free zone. if you drive thru Nogales south to Guaymas and take the Santa Rosalia/Guaymas ferry without importation. smaller, no pet kennels, animals must stay in vehicles, no visitation during trip. my under 6 m vehicle and a cabin (INAPAM card) cost about 400 US when I do this route.

[Edited on 11-24-2012 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 05:04 PM

I took the Mazatlan Star a couple months ago. My variations:

- nobody ever measured my truck. I can't remember what I paid but it's a 60 series Land Cruiser so no longer than your average pickup.
- nobody bothered with my roof rack (right now just carrying solar panels)
- I drove right through the military check (they were busy yelling at the folks from Stomach For Adventure and waving their rifles & shotguns around). This is good as I was concerned they would notice that my truck didn't have a VIN.
- I didn't get sprayed

As I recall they had two types of cabins - a pricier one with two bunks and a private bath and a cheaper one with four bunks and shared bath.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 08:22 PM

Bill, There is a small discount - not 50% for an passenger only with an INAPAM card. No discount on the vehicle fare. No discount on cabin fare.

WideAngle,
I measured our truck to make sure we would not be charged.
If I did not have to pick the tickets up at the terminal office, they would not have seen the rack and not tried to charge me extra.
Thursday the Military was being very anal and checking everything. You lucked out!!!!

Yes, there are cheaper cabins with 2 or 4 bunks and the bath down the hall.
I wanted a bath and a window. 770 pesos.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 08:27 PM

when I looked into the La Paz-Mazatlan ferry a month or so ago, I did notice that the INAPAM discount was tiny, maybe 50 pesos and that only applied to sitting up in the main cabin all night seats. the deal on the Sta R/Guaymas ferry was better, though I can't remember exactly what is was now (it's on the website pricing if anyone is curious). does not apply to vehicle, only to passenger portion of the fare.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2012 at 08:38 PM

rhintransit:

that's right.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 04:24 AM

M & R.....Thank you both.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 11-25-2012 at 09:23 PM

Sounds about the same type ferry but shorter time from La Paz to Topolobampo where we spent some time visiting my wife's cousin in Los Mochis and then drove onward to Maztalan. The ferry was fun and the cabins were great as the ship ride was a little over 6 hours and the trip to Maztalan from La Paz is about 12 hours I am told.
The food was ok and the staff was great with people and requests made of them. The lounge had a good bar and you can sing your "Little Pea Picking Hearts" out but be prepared for those who drink well but sing very very badly,LOL. Overall just a good experience that I would encourage anyone to try and we will do it again, as it was fun and wife did not have any sea sick issues on the ferry. You just never know until you try but good to have people share their experiences that help others try things they might not be willing to do without knowing ahead of time what to expect. Take Care & Travel Safe---------------"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2012 at 05:53 AM

Bajafun:
The trip from Mazatlan to LaPaz is 17-18 hours.
Depart Mazatlan at 4 in the afternoon and arrive in LaPaz between 9 and 10 in the morning.

LaPaz to Mazatlan departs at 5 in the afternoon and arrives in Mazatlan between 10 and 11 in the morning.
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2012 at 08:17 AM

One other note:
Baja Ferries staff advised that pet papers would be checked, so spent 340 Pesos at the vet getting papers and shot updates (which needed to be done anyway) . . . and there was no interest in the papers, even tho' I presented them to the various staff along the boarding process.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.