BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Eating in La Paz
Noleakman

eureka.gif posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:14 AM
Eating in La Paz

I asm going to La paz for Carnival and am staying at La Perla! My question is where are some good places to eat in walking distance of the hotel?
onemoreplease

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:27 AM

The place right next door is packed for breakfast, lotsa locals. had dinner and it blew. imo.
La Perla, is super nice. try getting a room up front.. wi-fi in room, other wise you need to chill in lobby.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:47 AM

Rancho Viejo has a location on the malecon. They have outdoor seating on the sidewalk, or some tables upstairs inside (sliding doors upstairs can be opened to let the weather in when appropriate - and protect you from the elements when it's not).

Upscale: Las Tres Virgenes; about 3-4 blocks off the malecon.
http://www.facebook.com/LasTresVirgenes

While the small menu was "eh" - the Negra Modelo on tap was a major plus for the Fritz Cafe & Bar - again on the malecon.

Next to the Hotel Perla is an alley with a # of restaurants having outdoor seating - and is quite a gathering place for locals and tourists alike.

[Edited on 2-1-2013 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 09:53 AM

La Perla
La Fonda
Olympia
Callejon (alley) has nice restaurants-they are not super special but are pleasant
Bizmarkcito
Fish
Hotdog stand

The malecon has locations that come and go, so be very cautious about where you go, you don't want to ruin your trip with bad food.

I do not suggest you go to the Rancho Viejo there on the Malecon-next to the ice cream store, not sure but I think they don't actually cook the food there but instead it's old food warmed up, or they call it into the other place and then deliver it by car or bike so the food is old, cold and the service is horrible.

Instead go to the Rancho Viejo original or the other one raised up in a palapa loking over the bay with a view. Be aware that every Rancho Viejo is different and even the original has two different restaurants in one so be very careful where you sit, and timing-the experience is often unpredictable.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 10:18 AM

btw... we really like the tacos at this location a few blocks from the Hotel Perla (under the big tree in this map):

http://goo.gl/maps/kdH0n

It's one of the Super Tacos de Baja California Hermanos González locations in town.

http://www.facebook.com/SuperTacosDeBajaCaliforniaSurHnosGon...

super-tacos-bcs-hnos.gonzales.jpg - 50kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 11:01 AM

Doug,

What type of tacos were these?

They look good.

Ken

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 12:15 PM

We enjoy the Il Rustico over and above all the other restaurants in La Paz.
Here is their info.

http://ilrusticolapazmx.com/us/about.html

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
We enjoy the Il Rustico over and above all the other restaurants in La Paz.
Here is their info.

http://ilrusticolapazmx.com/us/about.html

Odd, I would rank them about 5 on a scale of 1-10 in quality-but I do understand people do have differnet tastes.
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 01:37 PM

When I make it to La Paz it is to my mother-in-law's house and the food is always suberb! My sister-in-laws always try to share their cooking skills and I give them a little taste of what I cook in the states (usually variations of salads).
My mother-in-law always has a big batch of frijoles to go with the queso fresco, and avocados that are around. Someone always sends one of the kids for fresh flour tortillas on the corner!
My father-in-law was actually the cook at their house, and would always make us something special...cows head...pig guts...ribs, fish, almejas, chiles en rajas, etc...

Nana is right around the corner from the seguro hospital, if you're interested!

I don't think I've ever eaten in a restaurant in La Paz (in my 15 years of marriage), other than to grab a pizza or some pollo to take to the beach....but food is always a big deal down there with the family!
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 07:16 PM

Il Rustico X-2:yes:
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2013 at 07:37 PM

There are so many great restaurants in La Paz, Tres Virgennes, Azul Marina, Estancia Uraguay, Mi Amores,etc, etc. They have covered most of the ones within walking distance but try Palermo's for Sunday brunch.

In Memory of E-57

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.