Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: all night long,nine boats off Los Barriles
bajadave1
Nomad

mad.gif posted on 8-1-2013 at 08:15 AM
all night long,nine boats off Los Barriles

OK, guess that means the tuna are gone again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 08:28 AM

Military??:lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 09:01 AM

We had a bunch in Mulege, targeting mackeral..14 boats once. After badmouthing them like everyone else, I pulled in close while they were pulling the nets. I was impressed at the way they worked....a deckhand worked a firehose to drive the pelicans out of the net so they wouldnt get caught up. When the bag was close to the surface they used a big pump to move the mackeral to the seperator..tons of mackeral. I saw only 4 fish kept which were not mackeral..appeared to be medium grouper, allowed under commercial rules.. this took place in 60-80 feet of water right off shore the mouth of the harbor. three boats working that spot...FYI: we had no trouble catching bait there next day...

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 10:58 AM

They were here last night and they are probably still out there now. Bad news for us because it means they have cleaned out some other area and had to move far afield, risk more diesel and bait just guessing where fish might me.

The bad news is this: never saw that kind of fishing activity here over the last 44 years.

Good news might follow: I don't need any more fishing practice catching mackerela and if that was their target, more power to em (up to point).
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 11:02 AM

I guess we just never learn ....so many places fished out and Mexico is doing the exact same thing other countries have done )):

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2013 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I guess we just never learn ....so many places fished out and Mexico is doing the exact same thing other countries have done )):

And such a shame because Mexico controls the entire Sea of Cortez...virtually no other country has that control over a sea and yet it continues to spiral downward. San Felipe fished out and now with the road to Gonzaga, there will be nothing left there as well.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2013 at 07:25 AM

Today's Baja Pony Express says the boats in our bay are SQUIDDERS. Sure hope so.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2013 at 07:36 AM

They ARE commercail fishermen, after all....As I said in my post, after an up close (10 feet) observation, maybe 1 1/2 hours, I saw no violations in terms of game fish capture.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2013 at 08:15 AM

Typically, if they're after the big squid they use cables, winches and squid jigs so they don't represent a threat to the rest of the fishery except they take a lot of food out of the food chain. Last big ones I caught here were so full of ammonia we couldn't find a real good way to make them tasty like the smaller ones. Evidently ammonia is their buoyancy mechanism for going deep, then rising to the surface. Same taste treat as sucking on the neg. post on your truck battery.

[Edited on 8-2-2013 by Osprey]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2013 at 08:50 AM

Yup the big ones are BAD....Never have tried the car battery, I'll take your word for it...

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-3-2013 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
...I was impressed at the way they worked....a deckhand worked a firehose to drive the pelicans out of the net so they wouldnt get caught up....

I recently saw this report by Vince Radice, who made the Oro de Cortez video. It doesn't paint such a favorable picture of how the pelicans fare.

[url] http://www.sancarlos.tv/guaymas-commercial-sardine-fishery-preliminary-report/[/url]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2013 at 04:48 PM

I actually didnt look at all the boats in the sea of cortez.....just 3.....

rogbag
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 07:45 PM

I count at least 13 well lighted boats out there @ 8:30 this evening. They must be catching something if they are still here.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 07:58 PM

A semi trailer was parked on the beach near Buena Vista in February and the catch was hauled ashore all day long. This commercial operation lasted for about 1 week. Not sure how many truck loads in total.

[Edited on 8-6-2013 by windgrrl]

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
CaptainMark

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 08:41 AM

I've heard the Loligo Squid (small white ones) have been there recently.

“But man is not made for defeat,\" he said. \"A man can be destroyed but not defeated. ” Hemingway

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.