Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Tecate crossing latest
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 03:58 PM

Awesome intel. Thank you guys. I'm sure once I do this I'll have the "should have done it all along" epiphany everyone else does.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 04:16 PM

Udo and Blanca- my 2 cents is : I have personally lost a RV mirror to an oncoming 18 wheeler and I know of at least 5 other RV'ers who have had the same experience. All in BajaSur south of San Quintin and before Santa Rosalia. There are literally miles of the hwy on that stretch with not only no shoulders but enough of a drop off to roll a motorhome that moves to the right of the pavement. On the other hand I don't know of anybody traveling in Baja Norte who has lost a mirror due to the inability to move to the right to give an oncoming 18 wheeler room to pass.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 05:00 PM

Baja Geoff posted a video of using Hwy. 3 to Ensenada so see it.

The border does not close at 10.

There is no grace period if you are even one car from the border when the closing time comes (11 pm sharp), you will need to wait until the next morning to cross here (5 am)!

Tecate USA is tiny, so don't expect much before you get to the border. Once you enter Mexico, you continue straight (it is downhill) to a big intersection with an overhead signal structure. This is Hwy. 2 and the city park is on the other side. TURN LEFT (east) for just 1 block then TURN RIGHT (south again), along the side of the park. There are NO MORE TURNS to make for the next 70 miles! It is too easy!

Coming back north here is a bit more complex, as you come towards downtown Tecate you will head east along the RR Tracks (well signed), fork left away from the tracks and go east until the border access road signal, where you turn left (north) to go to the USA (Garita) Border.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 05:04 PM
Not an 18 wheeler but..

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Udo and Blanca- my 2 cents is : I have personally lost a RV mirror to an oncoming 18 wheeler and I know of at least 5 other RV'ers who have had the same experience. All in BajaSur south of San Quintin and before Santa Rosalia. There are literally miles of the hwy on that stretch with not only no shoulders but enough of a drop off to roll a motorhome that moves to the right of the pavement. On the other hand I don't know of anybody traveling in Baja Norte who has lost a mirror due to the inability to move to the right to give an oncoming 18 wheeler room to pass.

On two different occasions I have lost my drivers side mirror on the road to La Buffadora to a car hogging the centerline. No room to pull over there.

Bob Durrell
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Baja Geoff posted a video of using Hwy. 3 to Ensenada so see it.

The border does not close at 10.

There is no grace period if you are even one car from the border when the closing time comes (11 pm sharp), you will need to wait until the next morning to cross here (5 am)!

Tecate USA is tiny, so don't expect much before you get to the border. Once you enter Mexico, you continue straight (it is downhill) to a big intersection with an overhead signal structure. This is Hwy. 2 and the city park is on the other side. TURN LEFT (east) for just 1 block then TURN RIGHT (south again), along the side of the park. There are NO MORE TURNS to make for the next 70 miles! It is too easy!

Coming back north here is a bit more complex, as you come towards downtown Tecate you will head east along the RR Tracks (well signed), fork left away from the tracks and go east until the border access road signal, where you turn left (north) to go to the USA (Garita) Border.

Thank you David. Just watched Geoff's video...awesome. Looks pretty easy.

[Edited on 1-18-2014 by bigzaggin]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 06:35 PM
Don't know where you are heading, but..

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo

Quote:
5.) How long is the drive from the 805 turnoff to Tecate?

I think it is about 30 miles, maybe a little more.

viaje bien

...If you are heading towards north county there's no reason to go to the I-805. The 94 westbound out of Tecate hooks up with north bound hwy 125 in Spring Valley and you can take it to I-8 east or west' or continue on to Santee where you get on the 56 west bound to the I-15 north or south by Miramar, or continue on to the I-805 or I-5 by La Jolla. Miss all the San Diego traffic.

Bob Durrell
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
...If you are heading towards north county there's no reason to go to the I-805. The 94 westbound out of Tecate hooks up with north bound hwy 125 in Spring Valley and you can take it to I-8 east or west' or continue on to Santee where you get on the 56 west bound to the I-15 north or south by Miramar, or continue on to the I-805 or I-5 by La Jolla. Miss all the San Diego traffic.

That is exactly what we do! Easy peasy!
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 08:33 PM

Hwy 3 is beautiful driving at night. The moon and stars are incredible!! (Hey we are in Baja so let's enjoy the desolation!!) I drove from La Mision to the shortcut today to the free road (get off at the Oxxo by Punta Piedra and then make a short left, the road is really bumpy but evens out after a few feet). The traffic south to Ensenada was ok, though I believe the Tecate road is much nicer driving than the free road from La Mision to Ensenada. Kept at a good pace driving south, not much traffic. Headed back to Tecate and there were trucks, because I hear they are diverting all trucks off the free road through Tecate. The truck etiquette was phenomenal. The big double axle trucks which include the beer trucks with the Tecate logo on them practically pull over the side of the road to let the faster traffic by. I have never seen such driving etiquette in my life!! Made pretty good time to Tecate.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 08:07 AM

I drove from Fco. Zarco to Tecate yesterday and I'll echo the truck etiquette—it was absolutely a sight to behold. Cars, too—MX-plated cars that were having trouble going uphill would pull right and put on their left blinkers (you do know that a left blinker means "safe to pass" and not "I'm turning left" in rural Mexico, right?). CA-plated cars were jerks.

If you can hack Campo Rd. (CA-94) through Jamul, Dulzura and Barrett Jct. on the US side, then Hwy. 3 will be no problem at all. The road surface is not as glass-smooth as CA-94 but even in the hilliest parts descending into Palm Valley and then into Francisco Zarco, it's not as twisty as the US side.

There is construction in Tecate and you'll be sharing the northbound lanes; it's not a problem and far better maintained than most roadworks projects in Baja, but it is there and the police are waiting for you to screw up.

Speaking of the Tecate Municipal Fundraising Force, I was followed by three separate police in Tecate, all the way from the bottom of the hill until I turned off on Culiacán for the border. Stopped just long enough at the stop signs, eventually they lost interest I guess. The line was backed up to the left turn from Culiacán onto the border road; it took about an hour to cross.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 09:11 AM

Entered Mexico through Tecate 2 days ago, on A Saturday at 7am. Chose "nothing to declare lane" and got the green light but were asked to stop for inspection, which hasn't happened in many years. She opened every door and drawer inside the travel trailer, checked in the bathroom and behind the shower curtain, looked in the microwave and oven and fridge. Asked to see the TT registration and we were on our way. Curious what valuables people have tried to smuggle in via a trailer microwave- the size of a shoe box?
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Entered Mexico through Tecate 2 days ago, on A Saturday at 7am. Chose "nothing to declare lane" and got the green light but were asked to stop for inspection, which hasn't happened in many years. She opened every door and drawer inside the travel trailer, checked in the bathroom and behind the shower curtain, looked in the microwave and oven and fridge. Asked to see the TT registration and we were on our way. Curious what valuables people have tried to smuggle in via a trailer microwave- the size of a shoe box?

How about CASH $$$$
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
Curious what valuables people have tried to smuggle in via a trailer microwave- the size of a shoe box?

Gun! A friendly member of the Army told me a couple of years ago at one of the stops that older Americans (he emphasized "older") are frequently caught, not with drugs, but with personal guns which is a big "no-no." Shoebox is about the right size for a hand gun. He said that Mexicans are rarely found with guns but more often with drugs going north.
Mayne8n

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 03:51 PM

I am crossing at Tecate in a few weeks. I will be hauling a 17' cargo trailer and I am sure I will be pulled over for inspection. Can anyone tell me what the parking will be for a truck and trailer? Thanks
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 04:30 PM

They will direct you to where they want you to park.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 04:46 PM

It is a 'tiny' border (1-2 lanes open into Mexico)... Why a lot of Nomads like it!
Not open 24 hours! Don't get in the line northbound too late in the evening, at 11:00 pm SHARP, the gate closes. Southbound you will likely drive right into Mexico with no wait... or very short.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
It is a 'tiny' border (1-2 lanes open into Mexico)... Why a lot of Nomads like it!
Not open 24 hours! Don't get in the line northbound too late in the evening, at 11:00 pm SHARP, the gate closes. Southbound you will likely drive right into Mexico with no wait... or very short.

Title is the "latest"

when was the last time you crossed?

Today going south it was very busy and every one being checked.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 07:05 PM

7 months ago. Did I say anything inaccurate?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 07:31 PM

Quote:

yes. southbound only one lane and a wait. every vehicle checked,
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
yes. southbound only one lane and a wait. every vehicle checked,

Yes, that is the latest and most accurate.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2014 at 09:01 PM

Quote:

I lost track....:lol::P

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.