Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Questions heading down 5 for the first time
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 12:02 PM
Questions heading down 5 for the first time

Hi folks,

My apologies if this has been covered, but i did search the threads and posts and got most of my questions answered except the following. Firstly, I've been driving down to La Paz from Canada for the past 4 years but have been on the Tecate/San Quintin corridor, which as with so many of you, has become tedious. So i have decided this trip down to cross at Mexicali and head down and over to Chapala and down #1 to La Paz.

I am driving a Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Mega Cab, no camper and not pulling anything. I have my two pups with me. I only care to be on the road for a total of 6 or max 7 hours per day, and i am not in a huge hurry. Keeping that in mind here are my questions:

1. The first day i plan from El Centro down to Alfonsinas. They don't accept pets, so is there an alternative there? If not, the pets can sleep in their bed in the truck.

2. Is diesel available at the Pemex on the corner into Gonazaga?

3. I plan to drive from Alfonsinas the next day to Mulege. I used to do El Rosario to St. Ignacio. Does the Mulege trip sound about the same time frame and can anyone recommend a decent pet friendly place in Mulege?

4. Some folks have mentioned flat tires being a problem on the last 25 miles of the road from Coco's to Chapala. Is that from sharp rocks or debris?

I appreciate your patience with all the questions and hope i'm not on worn out ground.

regards,
Keith
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 12:12 PM

The last time I drove it, about a week ago there was no diesel available at the Pemex at Gonzaga.

The flat tire problem may be from driving too fast on the rocky portion of the road between Coco's and Chapala.

Depending on when you leave El Centro you will probably be in Gonzaga pretty early. I stay in San Filipe at the Blue Sky and they are dog/pet friendly.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 12:13 PM

3. You can make it to Mulege no problem.
4. The 23 miles from end of pavement to Hwy 1 does have a lot of loose sharp rocks, but nothing a good set of tires can't handle. I drove the dirt section in an hour end to end. Maybe a little faster than most, but I'm used to bad roads. It will be bumpy in a lightly loaded pickup like yours.

This is my new favorite way to go. Amazingly only 26 miles further to go this way to north San Diego county from south of the Hwy 1 junction at Chapala.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 12:17 PM

The diesel pump at gonzaga pemex , to my knowledge, has never worked. Flats are from sharp rocks. Go slow and you won't have a problem
Plenty of hotels in San felipe that takes pets. Also diesel is always available.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 12:17 PM

Good answers. Diesel is generally available across the hwy. from the Pemex at Rancho Grande. Top off in San Felipe any way. Can you do 200-300 miles on a tank?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 12:29 PM

What DK said. Diesel at Rancho grande market. You will have to fill out of a tanker truck. Best to top off in San Felipe.

If it were me and those parameters, I'd probably go El Centro (or San Felipe) to Bahia de Los Angeles, about 8 (6) hours. Then BoLA to Mulege, about 6 hours. Diesel is normally available in BoLA.
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 12:38 PM

Thanks kindly to all of you for your answers so far. Yes, the mileage in the diesel is good at about 20mpg and i have a 35 gallon tank. I did travel from Jesus Maria to Loreto on half a tank.

As far as staying in San Felipe, i was hoping to drive a little farther, which would put me at Gonazaga and not entail the long drive to GN. Maybe some feedback from folks who have stayed at Alfonsinas with their pups in the truck?
Does Victor mind? Ok to walk them on the beach? any problems?

Also any tips for crossing at Mexicali? I saw the overhead google and directions posted by John M. Thanks for that!

Again, thanks for the friendly input,

regards,
Keith
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 12:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mjs  
What DK said. Diesel at Rancho grande market. You will have to fill out of a tanker truck. Best to top off in San Felipe.

If it were me and those parameters, I'd probably go El Centro (or San Felipe) to Bahia de Los Angeles, about 8 (6) hours. Then BoLA to Mulege, about 6 hours. Diesel is normally available in BoLA.

Thanks for this....but i think 8hrs is a touch more than me or the pups want to endure.....i'm ready for a glass of wine after a max of 7.....

regards,
Keith
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 12:56 PM

Went through last week. Lots of construction going on during the 23 miles. But they have fixed some of the worst parts. You should be OK on fuel San Felipe to Jesus Maria. Alfonsinas is your only option until LA Bay or Nuevo Rosarito.

We, like most stay in San Felipe when traveling from BCS.

Why not time your stops for a San Felipe and San Ignacio night?

[Edited on 9-8-2015 by rts551]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 02:26 PM

L.A. Bay was mentioned, and yes, it is 40 paved miles off your route... but if you never been there, it is stunning to see, and lots of motels and 2 Pemex stations.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 03:18 PM
Weather Watch

Don't know when you are planning your trip, but keep an eye on the weather. Hurricane Linda might be a player then all bets on routes and times will be gobsmacked.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 04:48 PM

There is another place to stay Gonzaga the cabanas at El Sacrificio.
Hurricane Rick

Mood: Baja addicted

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 06:12 PM

Wherever you decide to stop. Really watch your speed coming up to the deep Vados outside of San Felipe to Puertocitos on the paved road. I think they start around KM 31 or so. Some are deeper and shorter span then others. As you already know, its's Mexico, take it slow and easy. The road to Chapala has a few up hill turns and is rocky and washboard. Plus you are a long aways away from any tire help.
Of course , I also vote to stay the night in San Felipe and then onto San Ignacio. Desert Inn allows pets.
Safe travels and have a great trip.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 06:34 PM

The tire shop is at Chapala and Hwy 1.

If you air down he will fill em up.

[Edited on 9-9-2015 by TMW]
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 07:13 PM

hola,

what year is your truck ? remember, there is no ulsd south of el rosario, don't know about the route you are taking or whether your truck needs it.

have a great journey,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 07:44 PM

Again to all, thanks kindly for the input. I am leaving Canada Nov. 1 and plan to cross into Mexico Friday, Nov. 6 ( I know, i don't like crossing on the weekends, but.....)

I have a compressor onboard with my engine brake so can air the tires up or down. Also have a plug kit. I run 50 pounds all around, should i drop the psi a bit on that last leg from coco's? I have the 2007 cummins, with the 5.9 so don't need the ulsd, thanks. As far as the route, I'll take 5 to 1 at Chapala and then south to La Paz. I'll see how I feel when i get to S. Ignacio....I quit staying at the Desert Inn when they jacked the price to 1250 pesos but i heard they are back down to 600 so will consider them again.

Thanks for the heads up on the alternate place in Gonzaga, TMW! Can anyone recommend a pet friendly place in Mulege if i decide to overnite there?

I definitely follow the weather, my house caught some damage from Odile last september..thanks for the heads up.

Lots of food for thot, folks, again much appreciated.

regards,
Keith
CCgirl

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 08:44 PM

last time I emailed this hotel (2014) in Mulege they told me they allow dogs
Hotel Cuesta Real web page not working tele 01.615.153.0321

[Edited on 9-9-2015 by CCgirl]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 09:02 PM

San Ignacio Desert Inn is expensive, like $90+ last July. The La Huerta is the new game, $40 or less, just past the mission on the right.

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 02:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 23S52N  
I run 50 pounds all around, should i drop the psi a bit on that last leg from coco's?

The answer to this will vary widely, depending upon who you ask.
In my experience, lowering the air pressure will improve the tire's resistance to puncture. It will also provide a softer ride and keep the fillings from rattling out of your teeth. However, dropping too much pressure will expose the sidewalls. The sidewalls are thinner and less resistant to puncture. What is optimal for travel over dirt roads with sharp rocks? For an SUV or light truck, I'd say 18-25 psi. For your unloaded 1-ton truck, heavy in the front with the diesel engine, maybe 30psi in the front, 25 psi in the rear.

Tire width and brand/model are variables. Look at the profile of the tire at full pressure. Then reduce air pressure while keeping an eye on sidewall bulge. If the sidewalls bulge and extend too far beyond the tread, they are at risk of getting punctured. My suggested psi numbers are a ballpark guess. Use your eyes and best judgment.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 07:36 AM

While I usually drop pressure, I did not this last trip. Probably won't in the near future. Not worth it except for the last 5 miles to Chapala. Too much construction etc...you will not be going that fast.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.