Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  15
Author: Subject: MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 08:04 PM

It's Manuel Cuesta Drew's tienda...across the street from Antonio's carnitas cafe.

Come into town under the monument...keep straight ahead for 6 blocks...past the church...ahead on the left next to a little square.

Almost all of Manuel's veggies come from his farm in the valley...and lots of oranges, too. Tell the old bugger Rogelio sent you.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2011 at 10:09 PM
Valle de Mulege cornucopia

... and just wait a little longer 'til the weather really cools down. That's when the locally grown vegetables really kick into gear-- broccoli to die for, snow peas, yes snow peas in Mulege, carrots, real fresh carrots with their green tops still on.

One can eat well in Mulege wintertime.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 10:25 AM

I'd like to share this typical Baja experience with you.

The following is merely a reminder of How much is Still so Good about Baja

Just before driving my motorhome north on a recent round-trip to San Diego from Mulege, the electric step malfunctioned..again.

This has happened too many times lately..:rolleyes: ...as the photo above shows on yet another Baja Road Trip many months ago. A good, but unfortunately, ...temporary fix.

This time, a few days ago....I phoned my old friend, Marcos Canet, master auto-electrician of Mulege, and explained the problem and it's history, plus the size of the motorhome...35ft...which creates a hassle parking anywhere in Mulege, let alone getting into his tight workplace.

Believe me, I know his downtown shop very well, having had Marcos work on a large collection of my boats, trailers, and vehicles over the last four decades.

He said no problem, as he'd make another house call for me. That is another great feature of small-town Baja Sur...house calls. He arrived in short order with a young apprentice, whose name I believe is Antonio. It's a genuine joy to see Marcos at any time..we go way, way back.

I demonstrated the motorshome's step defect and they quickly checked the master switch, the door sensor, all the wiring, and then the motor itself.

Yup..the motor's celenoid was no bueno, Marcos said. But, he would have to take it back to his shop to fix it properly....once and for all.

I also mentioned a bothersome problem inside the coach...the refridgerator light did not come on when the door was opened.

A real hassle for me when scrounging around the unknown dark depths of the reefer while on some road trip. (Unable to see them, I've grabbed things that grab back..)

Marcos gave it a quick check, said the door/light switch needed some of his wizardry....and took it, along with the step motor, back to the shop in Mulege.

The apprentice, Antonio, returned about 1 hour later with a fixed step motor, installed that very quickly, then put the new switch in the fridge.

Both checked out perfectly.

I'm now a happy camper.

Excellent & friendly work provided at a very good price.

Note: On the electric step problem, I had several estimates from RV repair places along my route from Up North to San Diego.

None would go to the trouble of repairing the electric motor like Marcos.

All said the whole step assembly would have to be replaced.

Thier rates ranged from $450 to $600 USD. Naturally, I passed....(or if I'd been so clueless as to pay such a ridiculous rate...I would have passed out.)

Marcos total bill for repairing the step AND and the fridge light was 250 pesos. About $20 USD.

I would never insult an old friend by overpaying that bill, but I tipped Antonio enough to feel okay with it.

Just another reason I love small town-Baja Sur, especially it's people.

Marcos Canett - "Autopartes y Servicio Canett" .... 153-0661 & 153-0020. His shop is just past the Equipales Cafe on the one-way street headed back to the highway from downtown. He can order any part you need.

I highly recommend Marcos Canet of Mulege for any auto-electric and other auto problems you have. If he cant' fix it, he'll direct to another Mulege wizard who CAN-DO. We have a bunch of wizards here!

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 10:33 AM

How did u resolve the Nikon problem?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Ken, I haven't yet fixed that camera in question, my Nikon D40. So I bought a replacement D40 on Craigslist San Diego... used for one month in a camera class. I believe her. It's in excellent condition..as in NEW. $200. It helped that she was a fox. :rolleyes:

Oddly, $200 is the same amount that a camera repair shope in SD quoted me ...to look inside and 'maybe' repair my old one.

A no-brainer...like me. ;)

p.s. When I can find the time, I will tackle that repair again..:tumble:

[Edited on 12-10-2011 by Pompano]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 11:25 AM

Thanks Roger... !

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Ken, I haven't yet fixed that camera in question, my Nikon D40. So I bought a replacement D40 on Craigslist San Diego... used for one month in a camera class. I believe her. It's in excellent condition..as in NEW. $200. It helped that she was a fox. :rolleyes:

Oddly, $200 is the same amount that a camera repair shope in SD quoted me ...to look inside and 'maybe' repair my old one.

A no-brainer...like me. ;)

p.s. When I can find the time, I will tackle that repair again..:tumble:

[Edited on 12-10-2011 by Pompano]

A no-brainer indeed! Was she a student or the teacher? I like to take classes from time to time.:tumble:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-10-2011 at 12:40 PM

Merry Christmas!!!:yes:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-11-2011 at 11:31 AM

Just super pictures .... thanks for sharing all your time in Baja and other parts of the world...

Really liked Marcos's ... shop bench.. with his "parts inventory" close at hand..

Always liked how folks SOB could "make it work" ... as they had to ...

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2011 at 08:44 PM

I have a cd stuck in the cd player of my tow vehicle. Easy for me to get to Mulege. Is this something Mario might be able to fix?
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 12-11-2011 at 09:01 PM

Hi Roger,

Cool that you were able to get everything fixed by Marcos!

Like Wesson...I've always loved how the mechanics and plain old folks in Baja can fix just about anything...and do it so well...and with so little!

Thanks for sharing Marcos story and info with us. It's great info to file away and remember!

Take care and Season's greetings to you!!

Santa :yes: YES :yes: YES ;D :yes:

Nomad Amigos...Here\'s hoping you all have safe Baja travels, amazing sunrises, sunny days, comforting breezes, beautiful sunsets, tasty tacos, cold cervezas and frosty margaritas!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2011 at 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
I have a cd stuck in the cd player of my tow vehicle. Easy for me to get to Mulege. Is this something Mario might be able to fix?

Hola absinvestor...Yes, I think Marcos could help you, also a few other guys and gals in Mulege. Maybe C. Cuesta who has the Sky sat tv and computer store next to the old Hacienda Hotel...Hugo at the internet cafe, El Gecko....and probably a couple video store techies.

Remember... just like the USA, our youngsters know all about cd's and players. Say hi to one on the sidewalk...and I'll he/she would have that cd out in a second. :rolleyes:

Amopescar...thanks, my friend. I love the small town goodness of Baja Sur, too..reminds me a lot of my other home in North Dakota...hence, I never get homesick!

And a very Merry Christmas to you, too...

...and to whoever else is reading this.

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2011 at 07:51 AM

Pompano- thanks. I had forgotten about Hugo- I have used him for various computer needs and have found him extremely helpful etc. Ron
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 12:05 AM
Mulege's Historic Las Casitas - Motel & Garden Cafe

Great ambiance, interesting history, finest food, c-cktails, music, and conversation..all within a very short walk from your room. What could be better?

CONTACT INFORMATION

LAS CASITAS MOTEL AND RESTAURANT
LAS CASITAS
Madero No. 50
Tel: (115) 30019
Fax: (115) 30190
www.bajaquest.com/mulege/casitas.htm

Location Col. Centro

Phone 615/152-3023 Fax 615/153-0190

ABOUT THE PLACE:

Room Information 8 units Prices $30 double; $35 triple year-round

Credit Cards MC, Visa

In Room Amenities A/C, TV, Wi-Fi

Parking Limited street parking

This long-standing favorite welcomes many repeat visitors.

Popular with the local literati -- A historic Hotel in Mulege. The Poet and Composer Alan Goroseve was born in this building in 1917. Javier himself is an accomplished guitarist, pianist, and gifted with great intellect ...Introduce yourself and relax, you will have a memorable conversation.

Rooms are in a courtyard just behind (and adjacent to) the Las Casitas restaurant, one of Mulegé's most popular and pleasant cafes.

The basic room accommodations have high ceilings, tile bathrooms, and rustic decor.

Plants fill a small central patio for guests' use, but the more socially inclined gravitate to the restaurant and bar, which is open daily from 7am to 10pm.

The place is especially lively on weekends -- on Friday evenings there's often a Mexican fiesta.

The inn and restaurant are on the main east-west street in Mulegé, 1 block from the central plaza. An ideal motel/cafe to headquarter ....and walk Mulege. Get the 'feel' of this quaint village of friendly folks.

http://www.baja-web.com/mulege/casitas.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com.mx/Hotel_Review-g153974-d156753-R...

Best Margaritas and tropical drinks in town!

Further location info: At the second town square ...across from the Fire Department..and next to Casa Yee store.

I've been eating in that wonderfully scenic & serene atrium café section since the earth cooled...or longer. I can swear to you from my heart and stomach, Javier is one great, masterful chef. His kitchen is the cleanest one in Mulege..spotless.

Many years ago, Dusty and I used to fly him burlap bags full of black and yellow abalones from Asuncion and Abrejos.

Ahh..Those dinners he made us and our gals! We really do owe Javier a lot for those times. :rolleyes:

His specials are truly amazing!! Behold!

About the rooms: I have always been able to get home…in my truck or laid to rest in Nacho Taxi 11…, so I’ve never personally stayed in the motel part.

However, the many dozens of folks I have recommended Las Casitas to over the last couple decades, have always let me know later that their rooms were excellent.

Knowing Javier, I would not expect them to be anything less then Top Shelf....and...YOU CANNOT BEAT THE PRICE!

The outdoor courtyard/restuarant is very, very comfortable and well decorated with lots of bourganvilla everywhere plus a couple of resident exotic birds. The on-site restuarant is one of the best in Mulege. Certainly the best anywhere near the square.

Las Casitas has a few rooms (around 10) facing a really lovely patio which is literally filled with plants, and flowers, a fountain, parakeets. The rooms have white walls, decorated with local crafts...

Heck, at only $25 or less, I should reserve one....just in case Nacho Taxi 11 is off duty. :rolleyes:

p.s. I'll get downtown Mulege manana and take a few pics of Las Casitas interior. You're gonna like 'em.

...done deal. And here they are:

Las Casitas also offers a quality clothing, gift, and novelty shop.

Hey, it's time for some desayuno and cup of java. Give Javier's Las Casitas a try and tell him Rogelio said, 'You owe me another Pacifico, my friend...

...y Feliz Navidad."

[Edited on 12-19-2011 by Pompano]

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 12:47 AM

That's a great deal ... and the food looks outstanding... it really sounds good, say isn't there fishing around there too WOW ... keep it coming :):)

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 02:53 PM
red dog in the pic

HOLA, amigo's starting to cold up here in monterey ca..does anyone know how I can track down any info about that redesh/ornge dog on the 1st page of this post,,I got a rescue dog from mulege last season and is a exact dulpekit of that dog and must be the family line..when asked what breed my dog is ? I reply a baja pure breed...LOL any names of the people would be great,,heading down 1st of the year for 34th season !! (I THINK):bounce:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2011 at 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA, amigo's starting to cold up here in monterey ca..does anyone know how I can track down any info about that redesh/ornge dog on the 1st page of this post,,I got a rescue dog from mulege last season and is a exact dulpekit of that dog and must be the family line..when asked what breed my dog is ? I reply a baja pure breed...LOL any names of the people would be great,,heading down 1st of the year for 34th season !! (I THINK):bounce:

Keith, I read your U2U, plus your post. However, the photo on page 1 with the reddish/orange pooch was taken in the very early 90's. It saddens to tell you that the dog, which was certainly not young then, has most certainly passed on by now. Indeed, 4 of the 5 folks in that photo have passed on as well, with only the white shirted female's fate unknown.

Lo siento, sorry I can't be of more help. The 'pure-bred' dogs of Baja make devoted companions..I know from experience. Not a dead end for sure, though....It figures that particular dog's bloodline is still to be found around our village and environs. Beuna suerte.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2011 at 10:51 AM
Ciro Cuesta - Sky TV Provider/Installer - Muy bueno!

TITLE: TELEVISION: CHEWING GUM FOR THE EYES.

“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.”… Groucho Marx

Okay, I’ve decided to take a little camping/fishing jaunt around Lower Baja Sur…or would it be more correct to say.. Baja Baja Sur?

Anyway, I’m addicted to TV…HOOKED for life! It’s the menace that nobody seems to be able to live without.

“My name is Roger …and I am a news junkie.“

The very thought of being without my favorite news-twisters makes me shake, and it hurts the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.

So, as you can see, I’m faced with a dilema. I need to go test some waters and renew my soul in the boondocks of Baja again.

But….I cannot be in a situation where I won’t be able to piously snicker at the Wolf Blitzer-dwarf or guffaw out loud at you-know-who O’Reilly on ‘Fair & Balanced’…. or see...ugh... Fat Eddy looking like Jabba the Hut. Hey, it’s my only TV entertainment since Seinfeld signed off. :rolleyes:

I do have an excellent sat dish reception In the good old USA TV-LAND, and there is NO problem with getting a strong signal anywhere.

TV now covers the States like it was a colony of E. coli and the nation was room-temperature Canadian beef.

But…down here in southern Baja, my DirecTV signal strength is far too weak for smaller dishes, plus.. what I got yesterday, I will probably not get tomorrow.

So hey, what to do? I figured why not give Sky TV a try?…works good at the Coyote House. So I called Ciro Cuesta, our local Sky TV provider and installer.

(Note: Ciro is the son of Alfonso, senior member of the large Cuesta family in Mulege. You can’t throw a chicken down the street without hitting a Cuesta. I’ve smacked my old compadre, Manuel Cuesta, many, many times. Probably why he sells pollo so cheap.)

Television has changed a child from an irresistible force to an immovable object.

Back on track, Ciro showed up the very next day…or early evening. Hey, who cares what time it was?…It’s Baja, Baby! “Hasta noche!”…has a nice ring to it, no?

I tell Ciro what I want and he gets to it post haste...which is a leetle like ‘muy pronto.’ I tell him about the existing rooftop dish and he decides to use the co-ax cable already hooked to my system. Makes perfect sense to me. :rolleyes:

He climbs up on the roof and looks things over..and appears to have assessed the install to be quite easy. But..he needs a certain tool to start. “Rogelio, got a 11/16th wrench to throw me?”

“Sure, no problem…I’ll get one from my toolbox…jus a sec.”

I find a wrench, back up a bit to where I can see him better…and expertly fire the wrench to Ciro…hitting him squarely in the cajones. I winch as he doubles over grabbing his groin, groaning something under his breath. “What’s that, Ciro…P-ncher?..you need some kind of a ‘P-ncher’, too?? No? “

“Well, okay… what else can I help with? What?.. I threw you a 1/2”?? Sorry. Okay, here’s the right one…catch it this time.”

I was throwing a tad low, so I corrected.

Hmmm….Jeez, you’d think a young Mexican guy like Ciro, who MUST have played at least SOME baseball …could catch a wrench before it hit his forehead. Am I right or what?”

Not needing my help with tools anymore, Ciro climbs down and gets his own bag, then goes back up and in no time at all gets the whole thing down pat in a jiffy…and his forehead lump went down fast, too.

Television is like the American toaster, you push the button and the same thing pops up everytime.

Television is an anesthetic for the pain of the modern world.

Today, watching television often means fighting, violence and foul language - and that's just deciding who gets to hold the remote control.

Television is like the invention of indoor plumbing. It didn't change people's habits. It just kept them inside the house.

Ninety-eight percent of American homes have TV sets, which means the people in the other 2% have to generate their own sex and violence.

Do you realize if it weren't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight?

I highly recommend Ciro for any TV install..satellite or otherwise.

His price for all this work to hook me up: …a whopping $350 Pesos.

I threw in a couple Ace bandages and some ice.

Give Ciro a call at 615-106-2259 in Mulege. To see him in person, just ask anyone on the street with a chicken.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 10:08 AM
Need anything welded? Even Aluminum?

MOBILE WELDER RAMON – SOLDADURA – SOUTH OF MULEGE

A couple weeks ago I somehow did 'some damage' to my motorhome roof access ladder.

In this case, 'some damage' means totally destroyed.

The ladder is aluminum, the most difficult alloy to weld, and requires special skills and equipment.

From previous experience I knew a repair shop a few miles south of Mulege that welds aluminum. I stopped by one day coming into Mulege from Coyote Bay to check with them.

Theisnoticable 'taller' is located on the west side of the highway just before the microwave tower hill overlooking the entrance to Conception Bay. Easy to find ...it's the only building in the area...with lots of working room, but I opted for mobile service.

Lately, I’ve been leaving my Southwind motorhome at the Cuesta Real RV Park in Mulege…but it's a real hassle to move it and also a pain to re-connect all the hook-ups.

So I asked if they could come to town, look over the repair work, and give me an estimate..and if accepted…do the work at the RV park. Ramon, the jefe, said No Problemo…and that afternoon came to give a repair estimate.

I thought Ramon's estimate was very reasonable at 2000 pesos or about $150 USD, as I know that stateside, the bill would be from $700 to $1000, which is just plain gross.

Still, I hesitated to take anyone's first bid without some traditional..and fun...haggling. So I showed Ramon my rear cargo box, which had gotten bent somehow. "Include fixing that, amigo..and we have a deal."

We shook hands on the deal….and at 8:00 A.M. the next day, Ramon and a helper showed up right on time and immediately went to work on the ladder. Traits I admire... reliability and promptness..especially in Baja Sur. :yes:

Ramon straightening the rear cargo box. How that happened will forever be a mystery.

What do you think? Ladder and cargo box repairs. Okay for 150 bucks?

BEFORE

AFTER

Here's how to reach Ramon:

Tell him Rogelio sent you.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 12-22-2011 at 02:42 PM

Brings back old memories that was our favorite parking spot next to the pool when Ken and Co. was there too bad they lost the place after putting so much into it.
 Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.