Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 08:58 AM

Sure, I guess they can turn it off... then on... then off with these multi mile gaps.

What about the reason why they didn't stick to the plan of going via Mision de Calamajue.... a 4WD road, but not an issue if walking? They are going the longer higher elevation route that just happens to be a 2WD friendly road.

Having a chase vehicle is smart, and not killing yourself for a cause is also smart. It is just that they never mentioned any of that support when they said they were walking for 100 days and nearly 2000 miles.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 09:14 AM

They have a very polished website with supporters and contacts, which was designed to post updates. They posted from "the road" early on, perhaps their support staff will relay some info soon.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 09:22 AM

It would be nice if they would do a custom check in once in awhile to let people know whats going on. For example"Left coco 2am forgot checkin" or "had to take ride". You can only use 41 characters for the custom message so it has to be short or sometimes when we use ours we do 2 or 3 at a time to share more of what we are up to. Also the Spot allows 14 predefined messages so they could make a few more of those to describe more common scenarios.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 5-22-2012 at 09:29 AM

Now that they are on/adjacent to Mex 1, maybe a passing Nomad will stop, take some photos, and get us all caught up on their plans?

(they are at the intersection of Mex 5/turnoff to Gonzaga and Mex 1/ at Laguna Chapala.)

N 29.37543 W 114.37439

[Edited on 5-22-2012 by tripledigitken]
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 09:35 AM

I wonder if there would be so much negativity if this person were a Nomad.

Until you walk in someone else's shoes........... I sure will be interested in reading about there journey once they are done.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 09:44 AM

They're on the road again!!!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Sure, I guess they can turn it off... then on... then off with these multi mile gaps.

What about the reason why they didn't stick to the plan of going via Mision de Calamajue.... a 4WD road, but not an issue if walking? They are going the longer higher elevation route that just happens to be a 2WD friendly road.

Having a chase vehicle is smart, and not killing yourself for a cause is also smart. It is just that they never mentioned any of that support when they said they were walking for 100 days and nearly 2000 miles.

As I recall there is some mention about some support being provided. I remember reading that they were looking for additional people to volunteer.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte

Until you walk in someone else's shoes........... I sure will be interested in reading about there journey once they are done.

No negativity seen, what we appeciate are facts. If not walking the entire trip was planned, then be up front. If riding sections was a change, then fine... let us know when they can. Beats quitting. The heat alone is punishment.

As I said earlier, any adventure in Baja is a great one! Walking is only one kind of adventure.

[Edited on 5-22-2012 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 10:50 AM

I thought they were gonna walk the Baja coastline? Packing their own gear etc. Now they're hitching rides? It's still gonna be an adventure! Just a whole lot less so.:D Takes a lot of the physical aspect out of it.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 11:11 AM

Other travelers , who did not get this criticism, Got unplanned help, rides etc. When tired in need of the coast, when lost, including the Mexican Army, Come on. Why the "facts" issue here. Guess the should have asked Nomads for help. Like I said. lets see you walk a mile

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by norte

No negativity seen, what we appeciate are facts. If not walking the entire trip was planned, then be up front. If riding sections was a change, then fine... let us know when they can. Beats quitting. The heat alone is punishment.

As I said earlier, any adventure in Baja is a great one! Walking is only one kind of adventure.

[Edited on 5-22-2012 by David K]
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 11:29 AM

norte, You tell someone you're gonna walk along the coastline of Baja carrying a heavy load, then hitch a ride miles from the coast? Only pointing out a little, small, tiny change in their game plan. If that, in your opinion is being negative, so be it.:biggrin: Count me as being mucho negative. :D
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
I thought they were gonna walk the Baja coastline? Packing their own gear etc. Now they're hitching rides? It's still gonna be an adventure! Just a whole lot less so.:D Takes a lot of the physical aspect out of it.

They never intended to fully follow the coast. This link is from David's page 3 link. It shows what the original intention had been.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200055380007908955283.00...

As to why they haven't followed the original calamajue road. Probably the support vehicles didn't want to go there. Hard to say. Perhaps Coco talked them out of it. Yes, it would be nice if a msg was included in the Spot checkin.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 11:55 AM

It's 17.3 miles from Coco's to where they checked in at 11:05, about 3.5 south of Chapala.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 12:05 PM

Did they walk or ride?:D
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 12:16 PM
Next Challenge

Will they follow the paved hwy all they way to BOLA or follow the original planned route?

As you can see support vehicles can't get through that route.

If the support vehicles are carrying all their belongings except water then they're pretty much married to them and will only walk the good roads.

bajawalk8.jpg - 38kB
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
17.3 miles by straight line, not road miles.

No, not a straight line.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 12:39 PM

At this point, who knows whether they walked, rode, or sprouted wings. I for one, will keep watching.:yes:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 12:44 PM
It's my way or the highway

There's no way they're going to follow the planned route. This is an enlarged view of a section of it. The string that starts at the SPOT logo on the left and crosses the image is the planned route. It would take a Ken Cooke to drive through there. This is tougher than the calamajue section then skipped. They must have thought of doing the cutoff with no support when plans were drawn up.

It's the paved road to BOLA. Me Thinks.

bajawalk9.jpg - 43kB
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
Quote:
17.3 miles by straight line, not road miles.

No, not a straight line.

I apologize, I presumed you were watching their progress on the Spot maps... which only can record a point to point straight lines. Since they turned off the Spot when they left Coco's and turned it on again half way to Chapala you get a straight line instead of their true route... Again, I am sorry for presuming!

mscowpatty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2012 at 02:16 PM

Buen Viaje! The Cowpatty group enjoyed visiting with you on your way south. A very ambitious undertaking and a great way to get people involved in some very worthwhile causes. Safe travels.
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.