Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15
Author: Subject: MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-13-2012 at 11:48 AM
Mulege Main Streets

This is just a boring photo tour through Mulege's Main Streets.

No murders, beheadings, or road rage here.

Just the ordinary life in Mulege, like these candid pics from the other day:

I stopped to clear this little mess out of the way. Did I earn my good deed badge of the day?

Hope you enjoyed this little ride around Mulege...see you for the next trip.

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2012 at 05:14 PM
A MULEGE DRIVE-BY SHOOTING

Hola Amigos! Want to go on a quick Drive-By in April, 2012 Mulege?

C'mon along, then....you might recognize something….or someone.

Kindergarten school

Jorge’s water store

Downtown Pemex

Main street stop sign

Next Water Store

ATM AND BANK (BANCOMER)

Corner Curio Tienda

Sweet Baker Shoppe and Deep Tissue Massage in Rear.

Cellphones are now quite everyday things…what a change in the last few years, no?

Kids are kids…wherever they live…and a pony is a pony.

Yup…kids and ponies?
Am I right..or am I right?

The New North River Road – post hurricanes.

Views from atop Loma Azul (Macey Man's adobe)

Sam’s old digs… (Sam’s Pizza)

Pancho Villas Cafe

El Patron Beach cafe

Amigos hang out together on the riverfront..

END OF THE TRAIL FOR TODAY…GLAD YOU CAME ALONG FOR THE RIDE. HASTA PRONTO!

[Edited on 4-17-2012 by Pompano]

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2012 at 09:05 AM

As always, a pleasure.;D

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2012 at 07:19 AM
Video Games & Gill Nets

Ah..Video Games! Kids all over the world love 'em...and Mulege's are no exception.

Good or Bad...it's nice to see the wonderment & smiles.

Gill Net loaded in panga headed for?...a very small chance of success these days, I'm sorry to say.

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 4-22-2012 at 05:47 AM

Love your corner of the world, They bring back memories of past days and anticipation for the next trip! Viva Mulege!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2013 at 10:18 PM
Jayne Mansfield Weds In Mulege

Mulege has always attracted some rather famous…and also infamous… people. They come from all walks of life, but especially from the entertainment industry. Movie stars, directors, Hollywood types, and shadowy film figures all loved to fly or boat here in the 50’s, 60’s, and early 70’s.

Here’s a tale of one such celebrity…..Jayne Mansfield…One of the Blonde Bombshells of Hollywood.

It’s doubtful, but some readers may not know about this woman….So….Some here’s some juicy factoids about Jayne Mansfield.

She decided early in life she wanted to be an actress…an entertainer…A Movie Star! She realized that she might need something..special… other than her already humungous contributions to mankind’s imagination. The following was a major life-changer for Jayne. Sizing up the competition she decided to be…..Blonde

A natural brunette, Mansfield had her hair bleached and colored platinum blonde when she moved to Los Angeles, and became one of the early "blonde bombshells" (along with Marilyn Monroe, Betty Grable and Mamie Van Doren). In 1958, she also had her eyebrows dyed platinum. (eyebrows only?) Following Jean Harlow (who started the trend with her film “Bombshell”), Monroe, Mansfield, Van Doren and Diana Dors helped establish the stereotype typified by a combination of curvaceous physique, very light-colored hair and a perceived lack of intelligence. The Blonde Bombshell stereotype. A review of English-language tabloids shows it to be one of the most persistent blonde stereotypes—along with busty blonde, and blonde babe.

Because of her striking figure, newspapers in the 1950s routinely published her body measurements, which once led to evangelist Billy Graham exclaiming, "This country knows more about Jayne Mansfield's statistics than the Second Commandment." Atta boy, Billy, you know the congregation perks up when Mansfield is mentioned. Indeed, Mansfield claimed a 41-inch bust line and a 22-inch waist when she made her Broadway debut in 1955, though some scholars dispute those figures.[ She was known as the Cleavage Queen and the Queen of Sex and Bosom.

Not very dumb blonde, she also knew how to work the paparazzi of the day…and dressed for them at every opportunity.

I get a kick out of the look Sophia Loren is giving while glancing at Jayne’s cleavage…hoo boy and Mama Mia.

Mansfield was married three times, divorced twice, and had five children. She also reportedly had affairs and sexual encounters with numerous individuals, including Claude Terrail (owner of the Paris restaurant Tour d'Argent), Robert F. Kennedy, John F. Kennedy, Brazilian billionaire Jorge Guinle, her attorney Samuel S. Brody, Las Vegas entertainer Nelson Sardelli, producer Enrico Bomba, and Anton LaVey. She met John F. Kennedy through his brother-in-law Peter Lawford at Palm Springs, California in 1960, before he had his affair with Marilyn Monroe, but the "affair" did not last long.

The Mulege Wedding

Mansfield became involved with her third husband Matt Cimber, an Italian-born film director, when he directed her in a well-reviewed stage production of ‘Bus Stop’ in Yonkers, New York and coincidentally co-starring her second husband Mickey Hargitay. I’m sure that started some tongues wagging..

Jayne married Cimber on September 24, 1964 in Mulegé, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

The ceremony took place at the old now-defunct Club Aero aka Rancho Loma Linda built by Lou Federico of Punta Chivato fame. (Old-time Baja flyers will remember that rough Club Aero airstrip. Full of holes, that ‘pista’ was responsible for many crashes back in the day.)

I read this rather foreboding recounting of the wedding in the book, “One Helluva Ride”, by Lou Federico

“Jayne Mansfield in a sad, sad travesty of a wedding ceremony” at Rcho Loma Linda aka Club Aero, Mulege

And then it all ended in trajedy,

HER DEATH IN A CAR/TRUCK ACCIDENT

On June 29, 1967, at approximately 2:25am, on a major highway near Buloxi, Mississippi, her car crashed into the rear of a tractor-trailer that had slowed for a truck that was spraying mosquito fogger. The car struck the rear of the trailer and went under it. The three adults in the front seat were killed instantly; the children, in the rear, survived with minor injuries.

The Mansfield Bar Invention

Reports that Mansfield was decapitated are untrue, although she suffered severe head trauma. The urban legend was spawned by the appearance in police photographs of a crashed car with its top virtually sheared off, and what resembled a blonde-haired head tangled in the car's smashed windshield. However, this was probably either a wig Mansfield was wearing or her actual hair and scalp. The death certificate stated that the immediate cause of Mansfield's death was a "crushed skull with avulsion of cranium and brain". After her death, the NHTSA began requiring an underride guard (a strong bar made of steel tubing) on all tractor-trailers. This bar is known as a Mansfield bar, or an ICC bar…which we see on semis to this day.

One would like to think that many lives have been saved because of the attention given to the facts of that fatal crash ...Rest in Peace, Jayne Mansfield.

Well, that’s what happened to Jayne in Mulege.

And now you know a little bit more about the village and it’s stories. But… also remember that ‘you and your story are safe’.…cuz...

"What Happens in Mulege Stays in Mulege".

Unless you tell it to Maude...who will then blab it all over on the Mulege Mirror.
:rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by Pompano]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:08 AM

I well remember the 'Jayne Mansfield 18 hour bra' commercials, as a kid... ;)

Thanks Roger!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 01:46 AM

Well is true times have changed, I went to Mulege first in 1972, when I 1 was open.
In the last few years glass pieces on walls are not allowed anymore, I know I had to take mine down.
And the word easy is FACIL, no facile.

Good articles.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 02:07 AM

Olivia Benson was 3 years old in the back seat that early morning in June of '67.

olivia benson.png - 40kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 03:39 AM

I was 20 yrs. old, lived about 20 miles from Biloxi when she was killed.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 08:37 AM

great Mulege thread and photos and history, thanks

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 09:27 AM

Roger.. Since you brought up movie stars..

Any idea if Olivia Newton-John still has her place South of Mulege on the Bay?

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Roger.. Since you brought up movie stars..

Any idea if Olivia Newton-John still has her place South of Mulege on the Bay?

No sign of her for quite some time. Some of her nearby neighbors at Ricardo Castillo's Villas de Mulege told me that about 2-3 years ago.

The last time I saw her was at a Serinadad Sat. Pig Roast...which was many years ago..

Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:36 PM

Great story, Roger. Indeed, the hotel on the hill had that reputation of a dangerous landing strip. I was glad Serenidad opened and I didn't have to land at the other hotel when I started flying to Mulege in 1973.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Great story, Roger. Indeed, the hotel on the hill had that reputation of a dangerous landing strip. I was glad Serenidad opened and I didn't have to land at the other hotel when I started flying to Mulege in 1973.

You bet your taildragger, Vince...that strip was more suited to a 4X4 race track. ;)

I bounced onto it with my father in a Stinson station wagon back in the day...we renamed it a 'Stumbling' station wagon afterwards. :yes:

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I well remember the 'Jayne Mansfield 18 hour bra' commercials, as a kid... ;)

Thanks Roger!

I think that was Jane Russell sporting those wind socks... but I could be wrong.
Got a map of that there terrain, David?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 01:45 PM

"Got a map of that there terrain, David?", funny lady!!!

When we had our place at San Nicolas' ONJ had a palapa there which if I remember correctly was mostly a nice bathroom. We moved the apostrophe and always called it Olivia Newton's john. :lol:

Obviously, the Baja would work better printed on men's underwear, but "the" Google gives us this of the terrain of the earth's poles.:lol:

[Edited on 12-10-2013 by vgabndo]

map bra.jpg - 25kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 07:27 PM

june of '67 i was working the flight deck of the aircraft carrier "saratoga" just off the coast in the south china sea....love those nam days.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:

You bet your taildragger, Vince...that strip was more suited to a 4X4 race track. ;)

I bounced onto it with my father in a Stinson station wagon back in the day...we renamed it a 'Stumbling' station wagon afterwards. :yes:

That strip was my first Baja landing (in a Cessna 177RG) in 1974. About 200 Baja landings followed.

carpe diem!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Quote:

That strip was my first Baja landing (in a Cessna 177RG) in 1974. About 200 Baja landings followed.

That strip was a real killer for pilots who had heard the warnings..and did not heed them.

Here's a toast to any who didn't make it..there or anywhere in Baja:

In days gone by, I’ve proved my worth
By zooming low across the earth.

I’ve buzzed the valleys and the mountain ridges,
I’ve dove my craft beneath the bridges.

I’ve looped and spun and rolled my wings,
I’ve sung the songs that pilots sing.

I’ve tried most stunts, it must be said,
Yet never learnt to use my head.

So here’s a toast - To you and me!
But you drink both, I’m dead...you see.

Between the goalposts.

[Edited on 12-11-2013 by Pompano]

Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.