Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2012 at 08:11 PM

Mostly tell them how much we support them and how much we admire what they're doing.

It's hard to pick out one single suggestion from all we've posted. If there is one that is most important it would be to show them the hourly temps for an entire 24 hr day and encourage them to get an earlier start each day. They can make it easier on themselves.

Tell them to check the internet at BOLA and read the entire thread.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-23-2012 at 10:09 PM
You obviously have never logged on in LABay

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Mostly tell them how much we support them and how much we admire what they're doing.

It's hard to pick out one single suggestion from all we've posted. If there is one that is most important it would be to show them the hourly temps for an entire 24 hr day and encourage them to get an earlier start each day. They can make it easier on themselves.

Tell them to check the internet at BOLA and read the entire thread.

Reading the entire thread at Bahia de LA net speed would consume the better part of a week.
Trying to just handle 3 or 4 key issues on line there is a painful experience.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 11:43 AM

At the BOLA turnoff now. Probably guzzling cokes.

bajawalk10.jpg - 41kB
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 12:39 PM

Good decision to bypass BOLA!

[Edited on 5-24-2012 by Curt63]

No worries
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 12:46 PM

So what's going to consitute the circumnavigation of the peninsula? Down hwy1 and back up hwy1?
MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 12:53 PM

Just found this thread. WOW, this is incredible. The heat on the hwy has to be unbearable. I just got back from 5 days exploring the Conception Pennisula and we had to hunker down in the shade from early afternoon on. Best of luck and God Speed.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 12:58 PM

I say walk to CSL. 1000 miles in 100 days. Achievable, challenging and honorable.

No worries
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
I say walk to CSL. 1000 miles in 100 days. Achievable, challenging and honorable.

:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:11 PM
Totally Changed Route

Somehow, waklking down a paved highway in the central desert doesn't seem as appealing as following the coast, with slightly cooler temps... Perhaps their support car is not up for any dirt roads?

Anyway, they shot on past the L.A. Bay highway jcn. and the last Spot was about 4 pm at the village of Punta Prieta (close to the paved runway of Punta Prieta, next to Hwy. 1)

Looking forward to hearing if Gold's boyfriend found them today... Best Wishes!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:16 PM

if it was me i'd follow the path of least resistance=highway. why would they want to cross over every hill and dale while kicking rocks and spooking rattlers?

they said they were going to cabo, right? that's the way i'd go. the crows fly straight for a reason.....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:22 PM

No, they were going to stay on roads, paralleling the coast as much as possible... and Cabo is not the goal... just the HALFWAY POINT. 1,800 miles in 100 days was the proposal... San Felipe to Rosarito Beach (via Cabo San Lucas).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:26 PM

well, H1 parallels the coast for the majority of its length!?!?!?

if they make cabo then the rest is $ for charity.....:light:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:30 PM

Yes, it sure does... and it is 30-40 miles from either coast right where they are now... in the dead center!

Just think how much nicer it would have been to walk along the Seven Sisters in the gloomy, cold fog that hugs the Pacific Coast in the hot months!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 09:53 PM

I agree with David here. The hike has completely lost it's identity.

It's baffling. Today they started at 7AM and hiked through the hottest part of the past 24 hours.

In fact why was this hike scheduled to start in May going south. You would have thought November would have been the right choice. With lower temps they probably could have performed a circumnavigation.

Well, this has been an important lesson for them. I'm sure they're not thrilled about the compromises made. Every challenging leg of the journey has been skipped.

Perhaps they should quit, reschedule a more realistic trip, and try again at a later date.

Still I respect the spirit of not giving up. They must know by now how much they miscalculated. And yet they continue as best as they can.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I agree with David here. The hike has completely lost it's identity.

It's baffling. Today they started at 7AM and hiked through the hottest part of the past 24 hours.

In fact why was this hike scheduled to start in May going south. You would have thought November would have been the right choice. With lower temps they probably could have performed a circumnavigation.

Well, this has been an important lesson for them. I'm sure they're not thrilled about the compromises made. Every challenging leg of the journey has been skipped.

Perhaps they should quit, reschedule a more realistic trip, and try again at a later date.

Still I respect the spirit of not giving up. They must know by now how much they miscalculated. And yet they continue as best as they can.

Ditto what Igor said...
I do not want to sound like I am being negative! I said at the very beginning of the questionable skips in the track and altered from planned route, that any WALK in Baja IS an adventure and it is fun to follow their trip with Spot.

So, you guys do what you must and what ever you do, we will cheer you on... our commentary is just thinking out loud wondering why on some of these things.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2012 at 10:46 PM

So, I just had a long chat with my BF who spent about 1 1/2 hours with John and Rachel in a little restaurant in Punta Prieta. They are in very good spirits and were really pleased to find out that the thread here is going on and that people were watching their progress on the Spot tracking. The course changed due to John's previously mentioned old injuries flaring up. Now he is unable to carry his pack. Some friends got together and built the cart shown in the photo and delivered it to them. He wears a harness and pulls it and it looks like she can push too. When he asked about getting rides they said they have walked the whole way, no rides. They have had to adjust the route because of the cart. He's got blisters on top of blisters, she's got sore calves today but other that that they are fine. They eat along the way when possible and also have dehydrated food packed. They should be in GN by Tuesday and will have internet and hopefully post here. My BF brought them a Styrofoam cooler filled with drinks, pedealyte, a couple tall Tecates, limes and fruit. They all had a good time chatting and are hooking up again in GN. By the way it was only 65-70 there today. That's why they slept in.

[Edited on 5-25-2012 by goldhuntress]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2012 at 08:09 AM

thank you!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2012 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
He's got blisters on top of blisters,

OUCH....That will be worse than the heat. Painful and easily infected.
I wish them well.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2012 at 08:42 AM

They are on the road again! Just wanted to add that the Spot they are using does not have the capability to send a message other than the pre written ones. They said it would be nice to be able to but you do need a smart phone to do that with the Spot Connect and I don't know how they would keep the phone charged while on the road. You use the phone for the keypad to type the message.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2012 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress

Thank you for filling us in on the information, goldhuntress.

I have a question about Rachel's shoes. It looks as though the front is ductaped. Any idea why?

And a comment about the harness. It doesn't look that comfortable (ask any Volga boatman). I'm wondering how much easier it is now. Of course there is a lot of weight in that carriage. She must be doing a lot of pushing on the uphills. Going downhill could be tricky as well.

Thank goodness for the cool weather, huh? By the time it warms up they'll be on the plain to Guerrero Negro with it's cool weather. So they're covered all the way to GN, maybe Vizcaino.

Bien viaje.

[Edited on 5-25-2012 by Skipjack Joe]
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.