Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18  ..  35
Author: Subject: 100 Day Walk Around the Baja coastline: San Felipe to Rosarito
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 12:39 PM

I hope most of you can click on the Live Spot Track Map Doug and I have posted links to or Igor will post the maps this weekend. I am not on my PC this weekend, and can't seem to do it on this one or my Android phone. Sorry Woody, but I hope you can get it to open.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
His email "I've been thinking I should deliver the sunscreen. Her arms were sunburned cause she (they) was wearing their Walk Baja short sleeved shirts and she was using what sunscreen she had left sparingly.

In the picture they are in shorts and tee-shirts. No bueno.

Legs and arms should be completely covered. Below are the sort of pants that I've finally settled on. Made primarily of nylon they are extremely light and breatheable. They are purposefully baggy. There is no style here. These are by patagonia but there are other manufacturers. And they really aren't that expensive, <$50.

There are similar long sleeved shirts that have large vents to further keep you cool.

A cheap straw hat to provide shade for neck is better than anything anything else on the market.

The pictures of red faces show that they have taken a real beating from the sun. That ain't healthy.

[Edited on 5-26-2012 by Skipjack Joe]

55029_176.jpg - 11kB
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 01:09 PM

More strange tracking. Looked at first like they were headed out walking then only 2 tracks and nothing. BF hung out(he's in GN) waiting to see the next track to make sure they were walking then decided to just go check it out so he will send me a Spot if/when he finds them. Last track was 12:18.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 02:54 PM

saw them on the hiway thursday just north of the LA BAY turn off.they were moving along at a good clip....with stroller
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 03:47 PM

Just checking in...we have not had time or access to read the entire thread or to know of any specific questions but we will. This morning after leaving camp we got two flat tires on our wagon approx. 14km from Nuevo Rosarito. We got a ride into town and found the tire shop will not be open until Monday, so we got a ride all the way to Guerrero Negro. We have fixed the tires and got a hotel, or goal is to stock up on medical supplies (ran out), get some long awaited emails replied and then return to where we left off and begin again on Monday. Between now and then we expect to find an internet cafe and upload all the photos and videos we have to this point. We are both tired and sore, but doing pretty well. The cold weather the last two nights has been the real but kicker. Our feet are holding up and we have worn through our first pair of boots.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 03:49 PM

keep it up! it's all downhill until you round the corner at cabo!

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 04:10 PM

Glad your Ok:biggrin:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Glad your Ok:biggrin:

:biggrin:
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 09:01 PM

John and Rachel – congratulations on walking as far as you have. If you don’t take another step it’s been an amazing accomplishment, especially at this time of year.

Sunburn and blisters and boots falling apart and wrapped in duct tape… that brings back a few memories.

Got to admire your determination and applaud your willingness to adapt your goals.

Enjoy the cool spell and the absolutely necessary time for recovery. What’s coming as you head back to the Gulf will be fearsome. Without a backup vehicle supplying shady breaks, cold drinks and taking the load, I fear the rest of the journey, at least beyond San Ignacio, will feel somewhere between suicide to impossible.

Sure hope when you return to Gro Negro you’ll reappraise your schedule, adopt a more relaxed pace, and consider a more Pacific route and call it quits in Cabo or wherever you can reach before needing to head north to the Baja Blues Fest in Rosarito Beach in August.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2012 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
Just checking in...we have not had time or access to read the entire thread or to know of any specific questions but we will. This morning after leaving camp we got two flat tires on our wagon approx. 14km from Nuevo Rosarito. We got a ride into town and found the tire shop will not be open until Monday, so we got a ride all the way to Guerrero Negro. We have fixed the tires and got a hotel, or goal is to stock up on medical supplies (ran out), get some long awaited emails replied and then return to where we left off and begin again on Monday. Between now and then we expect to find an internet cafe and upload all the photos and videos we have to this point. We are both tired and sore, but doing pretty well. The cold weather the last two nights has been the real but kicker. Our feet are holding up and we have worn through our first pair of boots.

Wish I would have seen this earlier...we're at Cowboy and headed north tomorrow. It would have been nice to connect. Heading out early tomorrow. Safe travels.

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-28-2012 at 09:27 PM

John and Rachel posted this on Facebook on Sunday.

"The last couple of nights have been brutally cold and we have not been prepared for cold weather, so it has been a bit tough. We also have run out of medical supplies, primarily tape and gauze and primarily for me. Rachel is only now getting a couple of small blisters, and my feet have been one big blister on top of other big blisters. But, no worries, Rachel is really good at taping and bandaging, so there are no infections and lots of quick healing; overall the feet are getting better and better.

Last night we had a tough camping location with some off road to get to camp. This morning after leaving camp and hitting the road, we realized we got two flat tires. As usually there was very nice Mexicans to the rescue. A family driving by in a flatbed truck filled with scrap metal asked us if we wanted a ride, they were took us the 10-14km to Nuevo Rosarito to the tire shop, but as luck would have it it, it was closed and from what we could find out, it looked like it was closed until Monday. Fortunately, the family said they would be back in two hours to check on us. When they returned they said they were going to Guerrero Negro and said they would take us to the tire shop there, so we jumped in back with the metal and drove to Guerrero Negro.

We got the tires fixed and got a hotel (La Posada de Don Vicente, first hotel on right) for a shower and some rest. We have decided that we are going to stay here until Monday and get caught up on emails and work on the Baja Blues Fest and a some other business. We also have a ton of photos and video to upload before we leave, so now is a good time.

On Monday/Tuesday we will get back out on the highway and look for another nice person to drive us back to where we got picked up, so that we can continue where we left off. This was a really bummer at first, but now we think it was a blessing...my boots have worn through and both Rachel and I have our boots duct taped. We hope we can find some new boots here in Guerrero Negro. We also really need the medical supplies, so everything happens for a reason.

Stay tuned and we will keep you up-to-date as we can. The good news is that our new Mad Max 2, our wagon is amazing and other than the flats, it has been absolutely the best piece of equipment we have had - THANK YOU Christine, Raine for the wagon and Sal and Maria for the awesome retrofitting and craftiness."

No worries
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2012 at 09:48 PM
Back on the road tomorrow

We have been in Guerrero Negro since Saturday afternoon and tomorrow we will be returning to just north of Nuevo Rosarito to continue our trek with new tires, new supplies, new shoes and a new route. It has been a great break spending time here and getting to know our new friend Mas Margaritas and enjoying many great meals and cold cervesas.

Although I have yet to read this thread, I have heard from many people about the various comments many people have left, so just to clarify, we are doing this for us and our charities, and no one else. Although there have been no formal rules laid out, our goal is to walk and that is what we will do, in the manner we choose. So, if you disapprove of our methods, route or whatever, get over it. :tumble:

However, we do apologize for forgetting to turn on the tracker once or twice, and once for leaving it on and it turning itself off and once for throwing our packs into the back of our new friends (Sal and Maria's) Subaru Brat and walking packless the last couple of miles while Sal drove ahead and scouted camp locations for us, and Maria walked with us, while the tracker remained on and attached Rachel's backpack. It was the end of a long hot day, and the tracker wasn't a priority, oops, sorry. We will be taking care not to do it again.

On the other hand, we greatly appreciate the incredible support and wonderful new friends we have made. It's been truly amazing! We love the stops people have made to say hello on the road, and the incredible efforts people have made to support us. Thank you all very, very much. We have made friendships that will last a lifetime and we aren't even close to finishing yet.

That being said, our friend Jerry Freer, who walked the peninsula himself two springs ago has recommended a new route that agree is better. We will turn at San Ignacio to the Lagoon then follow the coast to San Juanico, from there the road is paved all the way to Insurgentes. From there we will continue south to La Paz.

Again thank you for the support. PLEASE visit our site Baja Walk and take a moment to review the challenges of our charities and if it's within your means, please help those in your area, or that tug at your heart, their challenges are far tougher than ours. www.bajawalk.com
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2012 at 07:50 AM

Thanks for the update mexicoliving. I hope your both well rested and healed. I'm glad to know your changing course and taking the Pacific side, I think that's a good move. Your doing great, keep it up, stay focused on your mission and most of all enjoy the journey!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2012 at 08:12 AM

I agree, goldhuntress, enjoying the journey is the bottom line.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2012 at 08:14 AM

Sounds like a better route. It will be quite hot in San Ignacio, but the Pacific Coast will be better.

If you are still in Guerrero Negro, you might think about looking for a tube of Slime for your wagon tires. The mountain bike teams around here use it and it helps. Also, they used to sell it at Commercial in Vizcaino. It is more expensive here in Baja, but it might help with stopping some of those flats.

Just FYI --- it was 89 in the middle of the afternoon in Vizcaino two days ago.

Best of luck to you, and yes, ENJOY.

[Edited on 5-30-2012 by DianaT]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2012 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the update mexicoliving. I hope your both well rested and healed. I'm glad to know your changing course and taking the Pacific side, I think that's a good move. Your doing great, keep it up, stay focused on your mission and most of all enjoy the journey!

Actually, they changed course at Coco's Corner (from their posted route to go down one side of Baja and come back the other)...

It is good that they are making changes based on their desire and ability and not sticking to something that could harm them!

As of 8am today, they have not yet activated their Spot tracker, and the last point remains at Nuevo Rosarito, 4 days ago...

SPOT TRACKER LINK

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2012 at 11:11 PM

Okay, so I am confused on today's track... :?::?::O

It started back at Nuevo Rosarito at 11:46 am... and for an hour they moved southbound at the usual slow speed until suddenly they were back at Nuevo Rosarito (at 1:10 pm).

By 1:41, they were southbound again until 3:50 at which point they turned around (again) and moved slowly north until 4:51pm, at which point they moved very fast and in just 8 minutes were back (again) in Nuevo Rosarito, at 4:59pm! There they remained until the final signal at 5:42pm.

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2012 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

My BF drove them back up there yesterday. We talked last night about the tracking and he said where they were at 1:20 and 4:59 is around where the tire shop is. So they must have had tire problems or some other cart malfunction, can't know for sure. It looks like they are moving along now. I sure hope they don't have any more problems for awhile.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2012 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

My BF drove them back up there yesterday. We talked last night about the tracking and he said where they were at 1:20 and 4:59 is around where the tire shop is. So they must have had tire problems or some other cart malfunction, can't know for sure. It looks like they are moving along now. I sure hope they don't have any more problems for awhile.

I know they wrote that they would start walking again from where they stopped walking before and good for them.

If you talk to your BF and if he is going to see them again, you might mention what I wrote above about SLIME if they are having more flat tires. It will not stop all of them, but it does help.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2012 at 08:06 AM

Indeed they are headed south from Nuevo Rosarito (again). So let's hope the third time is a charm!

Pages:  1  ..  14    16    18  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.