Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 08:53 AM

Hope all of his supplies hold out while he is in such remote country-- what a trip!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by solosancarlos
From the looks of his "ping" from yesterday he struggled. 2 miles is not very far but it was totally fogged in until 4 pm yesterday so it was damp, difficult to see and slippery. At least it was cool.
Today he needs to get down that big saddle coming off the Mesa and he will be in good shape.
Looking forward to seeing his next fix having safe and down to Kashihi.
solo

Thanks for the conditions report Solo!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 10:13 AM

The terrain seems to be rougher now. It looks like he's no longer walking on dirt roads.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 10:48 AM

The Nov 16 cliffside shot is just incredible ....

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2010 at 06:35 PM
Nov. 17, 2010

Mike has advanced 4 more miles along the rugged coast at the base of the Mesa de San Carlos.

Correct... there is no automobile/ Jeep tracks between Punta San Carlos area and Puerto de Santa Catarina area... about 16 miles (as the crow flies).

In today's close up satellite image, I can see an animal trail Mike is on... sort of a small El Camino Real!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Just think of the photos he will have for his book or slide shows, if he is doing that afterwards!

What a story... I highly recommend you all read/ re-read Graham Mackintosh's 'Journey With a Baja Burro' which was Mike's inspiration! http://grahammackintosh.com

Get a feel for what Mike is experiencing. Graham and his burro 'Mision' walked an estimated 1,000 miles from Tecate to Loreto in 1997... keeping more to the center of Baja, trying to follow the Camino Real and visit as many missions as possible along the way.

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 09:05 AM

I just finished reading it, great book!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

Just think of the photos he will have for his book or slide shows, if he is doing that afterwards!

What a story... I highly recommend you all read/ re-read Graham Mackintosh's 'Journey With a Baja Burro' which was Mike's inspiration! http://grahammackintosh.com

Get a feel for what Mike is experiencing. Graham and his burro 'Mision' walked an estimated 1,000 miles from Tecate to Loreto in 1997... keeping more to the center of Baja, trying to follow the Camino Real and visit as many missions as possible along the way.

Brian
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 12:10 PM

I love watching Mike's progress and the maps are great. But let me tell you, the mileage is not straitforward. I'll provide more details and photos later, but the first day we went from Baja's Best to Punta Baja - that was a 15 mile day for Mike. 11 miles for me - Graham picked me up when he came by and we couldn't find a suitable camping spot, so we ended up all the way into the village, scouting a camping spot in the dark with the cold wind blowing hard. A very long day for Mike - he was so tired he didn't fix any dinner. It took us 3 1/2 hours (over 4 miles) just to cross the arroyo and traverse the town of El Rosario and get to the turnoff to Punta Baja - and then it was UPHILL - #$%^& - for 1.5 miles at least. The second day we followed numerous trails and found ourselves at deep arroyo gorges that were impossible to cross, so had to backtrack several times. We actually went about 8 miles that day. I took a "shortcut" once, Mike told me "see at the beach", and very fortunately, after I found out that "road" I saw was just a smooth drainage, I hiked a ridge and saw Mike, and then we had to turn inland, and learned there never was a beach to meet up at!! Lordy, would have been bad news to get lost out there. No more "shortcuts." We stopped about 3:30 pm that day and had a little R&R exploring the beach and had a nice fire and hearty meal, with some wine, etc. (Don't know what the etc. of choice was for Mike). The third day was short for me - about 5 miles to Agua Blanca - a very small fishing post where there was one person folding nets. He agreed to take me back to El Rosario, and the prospect of me going further with Mike was diminished as my exit choices became more risky. I would have loved to stay on the trail and it was pretty country and untrammeled - my kinda place. I loved every minute - Don-Kay and Solo are some of the sweetest animals. I'll post photos when I have a chance later.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 01:25 PM

wow....a real life adventure like this, in this day and age, and we are participating either vicariously or REALLY like wilderone - true to HER nickname!

amazing journey .... the book, movie, documentary will be extremely fun to read/see.

[Edited on 11-18-2010 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
true to his nickname!

I think "His" is a "Her." :)

[Edited on 11-18-2010 by DENNIS]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 01:41 PM

corrected the possessive pronoun.

Come visit La Bocana

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I love watching Mike's progress and the maps are great. But let me tell you, the mileage is not straitforward. I'll provide more details and photos later, but the first day we went from Baja's Best to Punta Baja - that was a 15 mile day for Mike. 11 miles for me - Graham picked me up when he came by and we couldn't find a suitable camping spot, so we ended up all the way into the village, scouting a camping spot in the dark with the cold wind blowing hard. A very long day for Mike - he was so tired he didn't fix any dinner. It took us 3 1/2 hours (over 4 miles) just to cross the arroyo and traverse the town of El Rosario and get to the turnoff to Punta Baja - and then it was UPHILL - #$%^& - for 1.5 miles at least. The second day we followed numerous trails and found ourselves at deep arroyo gorges that were impossible to cross, so had to backtrack several times. We actually went about 8 miles that day. I took a "shortcut" once, Mike told me "see at the beach", and very fortunately, after I found out that "road" I saw was just a smooth drainage, I hiked a ridge and saw Mike, and then we had to turn inland, and learned there never was a beach to meet up at!! Lordy, would have been bad news to get lost out there. No more "shortcuts." We stopped about 3:30 pm that day and had a little R&R exploring the beach and had a nice fire and hearty meal, with some wine, etc. (Don't know what the etc. of choice was for Mike). The third day was short for me - about 5 miles to Agua Blanca - a very small fishing post where there was one person folding nets. He agreed to take me back to El Rosario, and the prospect of me going further with Mike was diminished as my exit choices became more risky. I would have loved to stay on the trail and it was pretty country and untrammeled - my kinda place. I loved every minute - Don-Kay and Solo are some of the sweetest animals. I'll post photos when I have a chance later.

Thanks for reporting back Cindi! I kind of figured there would be more miles traveled then just the point to point miles I can see on Google Earth or the AAA map. Since we get just one GPS ping per day, all we can figure is the distance between the two.

I look forward to your photos!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
true to his nickname!

I think "His" is a "Her." :)

[Edited on 11-18-2010 by DENNIS]

This is Wilderone at our Viva Baja Cactus winetasting in Nov. 2006... (that is Ferna finishing his sample)...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 06:41 PM
Nov. 18, 2010

Perhaps some rugged terrain for Mike... Tonight he is only about a mile and a half from last night's location... Because of up and down grades, let's call it 2 miles!

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone

Appreciate your report "from the field". Hope it was a rewarding time for you.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

-
Doug

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 07:58 PM

It is so neat that Graham is accompanying the journey so closely ...

Come visit La Bocana

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 10:12 PM

Some photos of my three days with Mike and Don-Kay.
This one’s a test – I want to see if the descriptions come out with the photo.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 10:19 PM

Some photos of my three days with Mike and Don-Kay.
The previous photo shows Don-Kay being coaxed across the little stream.

Never a dull moment – these vacas freaked out when they saw us coming, jumping over and through the barbed wire fence.

Don-Kay makes this face when he smells a particular animal dung

Lights out early for Mike – a long 14 mile day

Graham is up early checking on Don-Kay

Don-Kay mooching a Pop-Tart from me

Morning pangas go out at Punta Baja

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by BajaNomad]
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 10:37 PM

More photos

The village people – Mike and Don-Kay really know how to draw a crowd. Nice bunch of guys.

don-Kay takes an impromptu break. It takes a lot of “encouragement” to get him up again.

Heading to our camp at the end of the day. This place is El Rayado (on the old Baja Almanac)

Pretty beach to explore

A comfy camp, hearty dinner and warm fire. Plenty of fire wood.

On the road again – a fine Baja trail

The end of the trail for me at Agua Blanca

Farewell photo – via con Dios, Mike.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2010 at 10:38 PM

Those are great photos! Thank you for taking the time to post them. I hope you have more.

Don Kay looks quite the character. I wonder what Mike is planning to do with him after their adventure?

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
 Pages:  1  ..  15    17    19  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.