Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18
Author: Subject: Norbert
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 09:38 PM

Thankfully spared most of Baja this time. However, after crossing the Sea of Cortez, it wreaked havok on Alamos. Loss of life, heavy destruction of roads, bridges, and people swept from their homes. Baja Bush Pilots are waiting for word to see what assistance can be given.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-12-2008 at 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Thankfully spared most of Baja this time. However, after crossing the Sea of Cortez, it wreaked havok on Alamos. Loss of life, heavy destruction of roads, bridges, and people swept from their homes. Baja Bush Pilots are waiting for word to see what assistance can be given.

Oh, that's terrible! I hope you can get in there. Alamos is a cool town. The music festival there is really a huge event.

Does anyone know if there is an organized effort by the army or civilians to go to those areas in Baja, from Mag. Bay and on across, for an assessment of need?

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 07:37 AM

LancairDriver is correct. From what is being posted at BBP the town is devasted not unlike what Juan did to Mulege in 2006.
20-25 unaccounted for. Town cut off no access in or out.
airport wrecked (was just newly improved).

we are waiting on info as to what help might be asked for.
might entail an airlift but with bigger cities close by i hope Mexico can get it done.

sounds like for much of baja it was not the event feared.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 07:43 AM

We may need to change our plan from flying down to driving down to Buena Vista:no:. Does anybody have info on road conditions South of Loreto, particularly in the Constitution area?

Thanks......dt

[Edited on 10-13-2008 by dtbushpilot]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 03:39 PM

DT - our clinic coordinator lives in Lopez just outside constitucion.

here's what she sent:

*Well, The day began with a little rain and light winds. Of course when I say began one must understand I am an early riser. Like 3:45 am. "Normal" After daylight the light rain turned to heavy rain and light winds turned to strong with stronger gusts. In the neighborhood of 30 to 40 gusting to 50 at times. Naturally the power went out this morning and is still out this evening. But it's out region wide. The rain quit here a couple hours ago as the eye of Norbert entered the Sea of Cortez. But the winds are still strong with gusts to 45 kts.

i don't think where you're headed they got too much. but if you drive around Loreto there must be some road damage?
past La Paz i bet it is ok. where were you landing? pecadero? they should be dry by now.

keep the light on for me! i might head to Costa Baja in La Paz right after the new year and detour to east cape too.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2008 at 04:00 PM

The Mexican Newspaper El Sudcalifornian, reported that 3,000 people from Insurgentes, Constitucion, and San Carlos are still in temporary shelters. Schools will not repopen until they are able to send the people back home to their houses. Gov. Agundez was there and in Loreto to assess the damage. Massive amount of trees toppled, power lines down, phone and water still days from being restored. The poor people of Constitucion have been hit twice this year.
From what I read, the roads are passable with no problems but watch out from flood debris in the bottom of the vados, and elec trucks everywhere.
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.