Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-3-2012 at 01:04 PM

mexicoliving. Welcome aboard!!
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 06:46 AM

Feeling cool under a mid-summer Baja sun sounds heavenly to me. So glad to hear of the route change.

Sadly, sounds like the cart will never make it from San Ignacio to the lagoon and down to San Juanico and the paved road. Done sterling service but might be more trouble than it's worth "off-road."

Great suggestion from David about getting a burro. I bought my amigo for $30 in San Ignacio and walked him to Laguna San Ignacio then all the way to Cabo.

With Bonny the burro heading to Laguna San Ignacio

Donkeys have a way of slowing you down and helping you enjoy the breaks and smell the roses. And inevitably gain you lots of attention and friends… which can’t be bad for all those worthy causes you’re supporting.

Mision, burro #2, making friends at roadside check point

I’d add... enjoy time in the fishcamps along the way, take a few trips out with the fishermen and get to really appreciate and celebrate the superb kindness and hospitality of the good folks of Baja California.

If you “only” get as far as Cabo… that’s a wonderfully worthy totally amazing achievement.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 03:42 PM

Damn, will we ever leave this place? Don't get me wrong, Guerrero Negro is not a bad place, but enough is enough.

This morning we had another flat, and we hadn't even gone anywhere, thanks to the llantera. Plus after the llantera fixed our barrings, the cart would not roll - literally. Completely empty it felt as if it had a full load. So, we had to stay another day, because nothing was open on Sunday.

Tomorrow we will be leaving hell or high water, nearly everything that could go wrong has, and all has been fixed by good luck, or simply by a series of miracles; either way we are good to go. However, even with the good luck, none of it could have been possible without the help of our new life-long amigo Mas Margaritas. Today alone he has taken us from the mechanic, to the llantera (different one), hardware store, laundromat, back to the hardware store, a couple more times, the Internet cafe, then Baja Pack to ship some equipment back home again, and on and on. We even had a chance to pick up a new tarp, for both protecting our air mattress from the cholla, but to also create a larger shade area when we're hiding from the sun. We are so thankful!

I also want to give a few plugs to not only Mas Margaritas, but to some local Guerrero Negro businesses that you should know about, and one you should not. First, if you are ever in need of a mechanic in this neck of the woods, I give a 10 out of 10 stars to Los Liebres Taller. The owner is Noe Villavicencio, and he is not only a mellow, soft spoken man, that speaks English fairly well, but he is an honest, meticulous and thorough mechanic. His shop is the first building on the right as you enter town. It's surrounded by a big white wall.

The second is Juan Carlos, he is the owner of Llantera Ezqueda. The shop (sort of) is on the south side of the street, next to small grocery store and a seafood c-cktail cart, about in the middle of town. Very pleasant man, a long time amigo or our friend Coco. Good guy if you need tires.

Both of these men were a big help to us today. Gracias amigos. Oh and besides all that, neither of them charged us a dime or peso, even after we tried to insist on paying. Gotta love Baja.

The other business that needs a little plug, is the new Mr. Pollo chicken restaurant, just a block east of the Pacifico agency (talk about convenience). Their chicken is just about the best I have ever had, and both Rachel and I consume mucho pollo. Friendly staff, clean, inexpensive and extremely tasty.

As for the one to avoid. The llantera directly across the street from Motel Don Vicente as you enter town. They fixed two tires, and the barrings, all of which lasted only a day or so, and the barrings not at all; hence the two new friends Juan Carlos and Neo.

We now have all tires, in addition to a brand new tire, tube and wheel we found in town if you can believe it, for only $160 pesos - amazing. We even got all new bolts, nuts and washers for the steering system on the cart, so we are rock solid. We are excited to get back on the road and start walking. With our new shoes, new cart and new enthusiasm, watch our daily miles start to grow.

As for the need of a burro, no way Jose. I am the burro, or El Burro as Coco calls me and although I am stubborn and occasionally smelly, like a burro, I'll walk when Rachel says walk, unlike a burro. And Graham, I would have to disagree that our cart won't make it. It made it down the San Felipe trail (Highway 5) no problem and that is the roughest road we have yet to encounter...anywhere. We are going to continue doing what we're doing and we will make it, even if this burro, has to carry it all myself. However, we appreciate the suggestion ;-)

We'll keep you posted and please stop and say "hola" if you see us on the road. P.S. We are not likely to be able to post again for a few days at best.

John & Rachel Pack
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
Don't get me wrong, Guerrero Negro is not a bad place, but enough is enough.

That reminds me of a guy I spoke to at the Nuke Plant
so. of San Clemente where I worked, he said he LIVED
in G Negro for 7 yrs., my reaction was like anybodys,
what the heck did you do in G Negro for 7 yrs?
Said he was manager at the Salt Evaporation Mine,
he had a line I always remembered responding to
my surprise anyone would live there, ' You can find
beauty anywhere you are'
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 04:45 PM

Sounds to me as though you've become quite attached to your cart.

I was going to suggest that perhaps you bring along a spare wheel before you leave Guerrero Negro. A breakdown between San Ignacio and Insurgentes won't be as easy to fix.

Also, if you have any pictures please download them during this time at GN. I'm dying to see what it's like. Hopefully you're taking snapshots of the difficult moments. They will be very valuable some day.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-4-2012 at 08:24 PM

If you think Hwy. 5 south of San Felipe was as bad as a Baja road gets, boy do you have a surprise coming when you come to a silt bed or any other 'typical' Baja off pavement road!! South of San Ignacio (on the Baja 1000 course) you may wish you used a donkey as Graham and Mike Younghusband had!!

But, by all means, keep positive and we DO wish you success!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 05:27 AM

When you leave the HWY and take the western route it will be cooler, but, rough roads are one thing, you are going to encounter deep white soft sand for days and weeks at a time. I can't imagine pulling or pushing a cart through that. If the cart breaks down there, it is decision making time. There are areas that even Don-Kay had trouble with. You have a point, you don't have to feed and water a wagon. You have a good positive attitude, keep it up and remember that all that happens is "part of the adventure".
Good luck.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 11:22 AM

They are on the road again! Hopefully they can go for awhile without being plagued with problems. They've got gumption that's for sure.

[Edited on 6-5-2012 by goldhuntress]
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 01:04 PM

It's been a frustrating 8 or 9 days for John and Rachel and now Guerrero Negro is finally in their rear view mirror. Cool!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 08:14 PM
June 5, 2012

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 08:24 PM

We looked for them on the highway today to GN...I had some "roadies" for them and treats...had to drink and eat them all myself! dang

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2012 at 09:14 PM

I know they are holed up in abandoned shack for the night. The weather there is cold, windy, and nasty from what I hear.
goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 11:38 AM

They have gone 7 miles so far today, keep it up guys!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 12:14 PM

The way they keep changing and adapting, I believe they will make it on the dirt roads ahead ---- they will figure out a way.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 02:30 PM
June 6, 2:20pm PDT

Almost to the EL ARCO highway junction (Mex. #18)...

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 02:52 PM

I hope they are not speeding as that stretch of highway is a favorite for the Federales. :biggrin:

Seriously, there are some very narrow parts of the highway in that area and while it can appear to be rather flat, it is not so cars can appear quickly! STAY SAFE!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 03:03 PM
The Changes

For those who hadn't been here from the start of their walk, here was the original route map and schedule:

Walk Dates:
•San Felipe – Sat, May 12
•Puertecitos – Mon, May 14
•Gonzaga Bay – Wed, May 16
•Mision de Calamajue – Fri, May 18
•Bahia de los Angeles – Mon, May 21
•San Ignacio – Tues, May 29
•Santa Rosalia- Thurs, June 1
•Mulege – Sun, June 3
•Loreto – Thurs/Fri, June 7/8
•La Paz – Thurs/Fri, June 21/22
•Los Barriles – Mon, June 25
•San Jose del Cabo – Fri, June 29
•Cabo San Lucas – Sat, June 30
•Todos Santos – Mon, July 2
•Bahia de Magdalena – Mon/Tues, July 9/10
•Laguna San Ignacio – Fri/Sat/Sun July 20/21/22
•Guerrero Negro – Fri, July 27
•Santa Rosalillita – Tues, July 31
•Santa Rosalia (El Rosario) – Thurs, Aug 9
•San Quintin – Sat, Aug 11
•Ensenada – Thurs/Fri, Aug 16/17
•Puerto Nuevo - Click-On, Sun, Aug 19

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 05:17 PM

Thanks for the update, DK.

We have really been curious about their trip since we met up with them two weeks ago.:bounce:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
We looked for them on the highway today to GN...I had some "roadies" for them and treats...had to drink and eat them all myself! dang

you're the best!

MikeYounghusband
Nomad

Mood: Always ready for more

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

AND those roadies and treats are the best
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  35

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.