Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 12:22 PM

Pouring Rain here in San Diego County... I believe it is wet at Punta San Carlos too (from a u2u I got this morning).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Pouring Rain here in San Diego County...

It's been beautiful here all day, but it's just starting to cloud up a little. I guess we'll be getting it soon enough.
solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 12:37 PM

Rain minimally this morning but may have been slightly more down Mike's way.
Clearing winds are coming through the past 2 hours. Sunny and blowing from the NW at 25-30.
que lo vaya bien Miguel !
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
It would be great if someone could meet up with him at the next fish camp with a sat. phone and hand held VHS. I carry them for travels in my truck and can't imagine being without them.

I would gladly make the trip down but business calls me to be in San Diego in the morning. If there is anybody here able to do so you will have to ask around for directions on how to get to the fish camp north of Puerto Catarina where I imagine Mike will make his next stop and hopefully rest for a couple of days.

To get there is not obvious from any map as there is no access from the beach so you will have to manuever back several miles from Puerto Catarina to an unmarked road that will snake back down to the fish camp that is located at the end of a ravine that opens up to the beach below.

The locals all refer to the area as "Campo del Negro Card##as" if I remember correctly...

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by BajaGringo]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 03:04 PM

And, the rains begin in a chipi chipi [lite drizzle] sort of way.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 03:18 PM

Sunny with a few clouds and some gusty winds here outside San Quintin...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 08:33 PM
Yahoo! Mike makes it out...

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have made it Puerto Santa Catarina fishing village...

SPOT email arrived here at 7:06 pm... Perhaps a long day just to be out of that 'no mans land'?!

Mike is right in the little village... the AAA map is incorrect as to where they placed the black square for Puerto Catarina. It is at the north edge of the arroyo right where I drew the black dot for Mike's position.

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 08:39 PM

thanks man !
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by solosancarlos
thanks man !

If not for you and the San Carlos panga, it wouldn't have been the same story... You deserve the big thank you Neil!

If not you guys, then Ron was next to try and reach Mike... A happy ending, thank you all!

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 08:44 PM

Sure glad he and his crew made it through!

Now, hope he rests up and lets the villagers take care of him for a little while.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
solosancarlos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 08:46 PM

Time to rest and then head inland
Maddie

Mood: As always, Good!

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 08:50 PM

I am so glad Mike has so many people keeping "track" of him! I have never met Mike, but following his progress here on BajaNomad, I feel as if he is a friend and think of him daily. Funny how you get to feeling that way for people you've never met. I feel the same for all the members who take the time to keep track of him and post his progress and news. Thank you all!

Wife, Mother, Grandmother, and Pack leader. These are what I\'ll be remembered as ... and I\'m very happy with that.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:10 PM

It's too bad we don't know the route he actually took to get to Puerto Catarina. It was the single greatest challenge of the trip so far and all we know is that the destination was reached.

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by Skipjack Joe]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
It's too bad we don't know the route he actually took to get to Puerto Catarina. It was the single greatest challenge of the trip so far and all we know is that the destination was reached.

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by Skipjack Joe]

Exactly my question, also. But, I am sure happy that all 3 of them made it to Puerto Catarina, and in good time, too. I am guessing that they somehow managed the coastal route, in spite of the boulders & cliffs. "Well done", is all I can think of to say.

Barry
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:43 AM

due to the full moon...the tide was waaaaaaay out yesterday afternoon so he could have walked on hard packed sand on the beach much of the way....bet he's glad to be at the fish camp and gorfing down lobster.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
A solar powered SPOT built into his hat or back pack that sent out hourly blips whenever he was moving would be great! I guess we will have to wait for the book to see how he actually walked to Puerto Catarina. If by the coast, he traveled close to 6 miles from last night's camp.

SPOT has a tracking feature that puts out your position every 10 minutes. The battery life on the SPOT is great. I have had mine for over 2 years and have yet to have to change batteries, and I use the tracking feature a lot. It uses AA lithium batteries, available anywhere.I'm sure Mike could make two trips like he is on and leave the SPOT on all the time.Last year a friend in Mulege was watching my progress on a trip down and saw that I had stopped at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio and called me while I was having lunch to ask how the tacos were.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 10:14 AM
SPOT Tracking

Maybe somebody can get Mike extra lithium batteries and he can use the SPOT Tracking feature. Turn on in the morning, turn off at nite.......that way we can follow his progress in (somewhat) real time??????.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
due to the full moon...the tide was waaaaaaay out yesterday afternoon so he could have walked on hard packed sand on the beach much of the way....bet he's glad to be at the fish camp and gorfing down lobster.

Very good point, Shari, and one I had not thought of. Thank you for that. I bet you are right.

Barry
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 10:28 AM

Yep, I thought so tambien.

I'll bet those local pangueros (rescue team) gave him some good advice.
Maddie

Mood: As always, Good!

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 03:18 PM

The Gringo Gazette just posted an article on Mike and another on Graham and his books. Some of the info is incorrect, but I expect they will be publishing follow ups on Mike regularly. Mike may find a big welcome when he gets down to Cabo. I'm hoping to fly down an meet him, Don Kay, and Solo.

Here's the link to the Gringo Gazette online. I don't think you have to be a subscriber to view it. Let me know if it doesn't work, I'll send a copy of the article.

http://content.yudu.com/A1lxw9/GringoGazette/resources/index...

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by Maddie]

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by BajaNomad]

Wife, Mother, Grandmother, and Pack leader. These are what I\'ll be remembered as ... and I\'m very happy with that.
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19    21  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.