Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Driving USA to Baja, then flying Tijuana to USA
cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
This happened to me - I argued, but it's still good for vehicle travel, but took it anyway.

You were wrong- it isn't "still good for vehicle travel". There aren't different tourist permissions depending on whether you drive or fly. Tourist visas are good for one trip into Mexico. When you leave, that visa is void, regardless of whether it was good for 7 days or 180 days.

It appears to me, in the context of what wilderone described, they were correct. The FMM wilderone had was indeed usable for multiple entries at northern Baja crossings. Just as David K states on his website Viva Baja.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-25-2024 at 04:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  
Below is a link to Nomad David K's website, Viva Baja. David thinks highly enough of Baja Bound Insurance, that he links to their website regarding FMM issues and more. This is the same company I linked to previously in this thread.

https://vivabaja.com/advice-on-driving/
"The FMM can be free for visits of 7 days (6 nights) or less. For up to 180 days, the fee is 717 pesos, about $40 (U.S.) dollars, currently. You keep the FMM until it expires, for multiple auto trips south. Unlike the flying FMM, it does not get returned to INM when you leave Mexico." [written in 2023]

[Edited on 7-25-2024 by cupcake]

If you found it on the internet, then it must be true! :lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-26-2024 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Not like the old days.

https://www.mexicotouristcard.com/

Gotta question? Email: Contact@MexicoTouristCard.com

That looks like some fishy non-govt website…

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

cupcake
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2024 at 12:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by cupcake  
Below is a link to Nomad David K's website, Viva Baja. David thinks highly enough of Baja Bound Insurance, that he links to their website regarding FMM issues and more. This is the same company I linked to previously in this thread.

https://vivabaja.com/advice-on-driving/
"The FMM can be free for visits of 7 days (6 nights) or less. For up to 180 days, the fee is 717 pesos, about $40 (U.S.) dollars, currently. You keep the FMM until it expires, for multiple auto trips south. Unlike the flying FMM, it does not get returned to INM when you leave Mexico." [written in 2023]

[Edited on 7-25-2024 by cupcake]

If you found it on the internet, then it must be true! :lol:

I have personally reentered Mexico at SY-TJ crossing with an old FMM and had the Mexican border agent tell me, in perfect English, "yes, these are now multiple entry."

Though it is always good to be skeptical of what you read online, if you think about it, this really does have to be a case of an official directive, probably as reported on a number of websites. There is no doubt that INM agents in northern Baja have been treating FMM as multiple entry. It does not seem possible that a group of INM agents got together and decided to do this on their own. They would be likely to lose their job and possibly face criminal prosecution, if they were doing this outside of an official directive. If it were just a one off instance of a single agent doing this, that would be one thing, but it is not. It is many agents over a lengthy period of time.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2024 at 06:10 PM

"some fishy non-govt website"
might be right ... I deleted my post !!
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2024 at 10:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
BajaNaranja, thanks for the added info! I may be doing the same thing this fall, with my son along for the ride south, but he would need to fly back north before I would be ready to return.

Loreto would be the airport, and it should be the same as flying from T.J., but that probably depends on local interpretation of the rules.

My family flew out of SJD last year after we drove across at Mexicali West (where we got an FMM). Zero issues.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2024 at 11:54 AM

Of course there weren't any issues. You got tourist cards when you entered Mexico and there aren't any restrictions anywhere in Mexico as to leaving the country by a different mode of transportation than the one you used to enter.
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2024 at 06:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by towntaco  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
BajaNaranja, thanks for the added info! I may be doing the same thing this fall, with my son along for the ride south, but he would need to fly back north before I would be ready to return.

Loreto would be the airport, and it should be the same as flying from T.J., but that probably depends on local interpretation of the rules.

My family flew out of SJD last year after we drove across at Mexicali West (where we got an FMM). Zero issues.

Yes should be no problem but did they take it when you flew out of SJD?

That is what they used to do if you flew out of SJD.

And if you fly back into Mexico, the FMM fee is included in the airfare fees.

So even if they didn’t take it, if you fly back into Mexico you are paying the FMM fee anyway.

If you were to drive back into Mexico, I don’t see it would be a problem as long as they didn’t take the FMM.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2024 at 10:33 AM

You always have to turn in the tourist card when you fly out of any airport in Mexico.
Purdyd
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2024 at 04:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
You always have to turn in the tourist card when you fly out of any airport in Mexico.

But you don’t get a tourist card anymore when you fly into Mexico, they stamp your passport.

So no tourist card to return. And they've given me 180 days written next to the stamp.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2024 at 05:31 PM

Yes, I'm well aware they stamp passports now on airline entry into Mexico and also on exit.

This thread was about driving in, getting a tourist card at that time, and then flying out.

My point was that if you had a tourist card, it was and will be always taken from you when flying out.

[Edited on 8-1-2024 by surabi]

[Edited on 8-1-2024 by surabi]
towntaco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2024 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Purdyd  

Yes should be no problem but did they take it when you flew out of SJD?

That is what they used to do if you flew out of SJD.

And if you fly back into Mexico, the FMM fee is included in the airfare fees.

So even if they didn’t take it, if you fly back into Mexico you are paying the FMM fee anyway.

If you were to drive back into Mexico, I don’t see it would be a problem as long as they didn’t take the FMM.

Mexican INM staff took each family members FMM when flying out of SJD.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.