Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Heading to Oaxaca via La Paz
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 07:27 AM

Boy, this sounds like a really fun trip. My wife and I had a lot of fun exploring Baja years back. Always had thoughts of taking the ferry, but my camper seemed programed for Punta Chivato and southern Baja. To old now, which sucks. Have fun, be careful, and try not to hurry too much.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 07:50 AM

Thanks! I like my Baja trips to be a bit leisurely so this has been a hustle. I've thought about doing more mainland trips but I usually get sucked into a slower Baja way of being.

This time I'm on a mission.

Hopefully this works out. I just found a small beach I visited by bus / colectivo decades ago when I was a student.

From the pictures it doesn't look like its changed much. I hope to spend some time there. If I have it.

[Edited on 2024-10-21 by WideAngleWandering]

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 08:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
Well getting my slightly unusual vehicle imported was a hassle because I don't have all the expected VIN plates but after striking out at San ysidro I was able to get it done at Otay. Took a while and I suspect they were getting approvals or something in the background.

Anyhow I made it to San Felipe after a marathon drive.

Now to figure out the ferries. There are no cabins available on the Tues ferry. The Thurs ferry would be seriously cramping my schedule.

So I am trying to decide if I should haul burro to La Paz and attempt the TMC ferry at 5pm on Monday.

Only problem is I slept way too long. Needed it. But we will see.

One thing's for sure - being in a hurry in Baja feels so wrong.

[Edited on 2024-10-20 by WideAngleWandering]

Sounds like your schedule is unrealistically compressed. Probably would be better to fly. Next time fly. Save time and money. The money saved can be used on nicer lodging.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 12:24 PM

I've driven through Sinaloa a number of times this past year and the year prior.

I'm not likely to do it again for a long time, at least until things settle down.

Some of the checkpoints are actually cartel and some aren't but, hell, they're all in business and we got hot stopped in Mazatlan which was interesting and the searches on the 15D got interesting as well.

You'll probably be just fine but, then again, a number of people I know personally, just like us, got turned inside out to the point of full body searches ( clothes on ) and hit up hard for cash which, of course, we only had enough for the 3 tolls that won't take the PASE.

We saw other people handing over cash due to fear and also pocketing of cash by those that had it hidden in all the usual places.

It's just a bit of a weird time through there right now.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
I've driven through Sinaloa a number of times this past year and the year prior.

I'm not likely to do it again for a long time, at least until things settle down.

Some of the checkpoints are actually cartel and some aren't but, hell, they're all in business and we got hot stopped in Mazatlan which was interesting and the searches on the 15D got interesting as well.

You'll probably be just fine but, then again, a number of people I know personally, just like us, got turned inside out to the point of full body searches ( clothes on ) and hit up hard for cash which, of course, we only had enough for the 3 tolls that won't take the PASE.

We saw other people handing over cash due to fear and also pocketing of cash by those that had it hidden in all the usual places.

It's just a bit of a weird time through there right now.

Frightening!

I see the usa state dept travel advisory lists sinaloa as “do not travel to.” Colima, guerrero, michoacan, tamaulipas, zacatecas, and other areas too.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 05:00 PM

I'm not trying to stir any chiite here, so take this as just my experience.

Sinaloa has always been a little vibey for my tastes and back in 2012-13 I had some very strange encounters there with the law.
They all ended up fine but the spookiest was when the PJR had abandoned their normal checkpoint and there were about 50 cowboys on horses that all had military looking weapons on them just kind of patrolling it.
A couple were dismounted and looked through my stuff, briefly, without saying a word and then waved me on.

This last year there have been a lot of stories, some from people I know directly that were robbed.
The people at the toll booths state that they are mostly ex-PGR and not legit but there isn't really anything they can do about it.

Who knows, I don't nor do I want to at this point but my relatively recent experiences driving through there got my and my wife's attention.

To be honest, I'm not that used to another man's hands in my pockets while having a guy on either side of me and one behind me patting me down nor did my wife much appreciate getting searched thoroughly on the side of the road.

We thanked them for their thoroughness and professionalism when they finally told us we could leave and they laughed about that.
I also asked them if they could radio ahead to the next one coming up to tell them we were legit and they got a good laugh out of that, too.

My buddy got his dash removed by them and they decided the $600 he had in his wallet along with a few thousand pesos was theirs.
And, unlike me, my friend is Mexican.

Anyway, most people are fine, it just sucks when you hit the lottery with those guys.

This is kind of telling, too.

FWIW, my friends in Nayarit that are from Culiacán won't go up there now to visit family regularly like they did even into the spring of this year.
They worry too much about the drive and where they would sometimes meet family in Mazatlan their family doesn't feel safe driving there, now, with the random stops of cars and the guys checking the messaging on the phones for associates.

It's really an odd time there.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 05:10 PM

We saw other people handing over cash due to fear and also pocketing of cash by those that had it hidden in all the usual places..

Fun reading as I wait to board the ferry to Mazatlan.

This is the most harrowing personal account anyone has shared with me yet. I take it your stories are about the region north of Mazatlan? Or do I need to be prepared for this sort of thing as I head south to Puerto vallarta and points beyond?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 05:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  

We saw other people handing over cash due to fear and also pocketing of cash by those that had it hidden in all the usual places..

Fun reading as I wait to board the ferry to Mazatlan.

This is the most harrowing personal account anyone has shared with me yet. I take it your stories are about the region north of Mazatlan? Or do I need to be prepared for this sort of thing as I head south to Puerto vallarta and points beyond?

Read the usa state dept travel warnings. Read the news. Talk to locals.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-tra...

From state dept.

Guerrero state – Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime.

Crime and violence are widespread. Armed groups operate independently of the government in many areas of Guerrero. Members of these groups frequently maintain roadblocks and may use violence towards travelers. U.S. citizens and LPRs have been victims of kidnapping in previous years.

U.S. government employees may not travel to any area in the state of Guerrero, including to tourist areas in Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, Taxco, and Ixtapa.

Michoacan state – Do Not Travel

Do not travel due to crime and kidnapping.

Crime and violence are widespread in Michoacan state.
Travel for U.S. government employees is limited to the following areas with the noted restrictions:

Federal Highway 15D: U.S. government employees may travel on Federal Highway 15D to transit the state between Mexico City and Guadalajara.
Morelia: U.S. government employees may travel by air and by land using Federal Highways 43 or 48D from Federal Highway 15D.
Lazaro Card##as: U.S. government employees must travel by air only and limit activities to the city center or port areas.

To view a map of the restricted areas, visit https://mx.usembassy.gov/maps-of-restricted-areas

U.S. government employees may not travel to other areas of the state of Michoacan, including the portions of the Monarch Butterfly Reserve located in Michoacan.

[Edited on 10-22-2024 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2024 at 05:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
You can pop the top. I do with my alu cab camper. You park topsides on the deck. Fresh air,starlink and access to my fridge make it my prefered ferry;).

Despite the conversation i had with the cargo dude...

They put me on the ramp!

This is going to suck lol. Chippy you're on my chit list ;)

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.