Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mini-splits?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 05:57 AM

i would hope that when it auto throttles down with low current draw it goes to low idle and fuel flow drops a bunch.
round to it - what say you?

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 06:36 AM

mike...sounds like that diesel genset is a little thirsty. I would shop for a different, more economical engine. Or get a super solar system to run the whole shebang and never worry about buying diesel again. I am researching that right now.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 08:46 AM

oh, i am not buying one, just putting info out. i will be on the grid when i build. have no interest in solar and all that.
i want to plug in and go.

and have lots of AC in summer.:lol::lol:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 08:58 AM

my 30 KVA gen set never used more than half a gallon per hour.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 11:07 AM

There is a York dealer behind Leys on Cinco Demayo they have and install Mini Split splits.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2006 at 02:41 PM

yeah, sort of what i thot - 2.5 GPH only at full draw, otherwise should sip fuel oil.

actually a good plan to have it out in the boonies.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 08:04 PM
Mini Splits

Was in the Ensenada COSTCO over the weekend (April 22) . They have Rheem units...several sizes...didn't look at the btu size but a two set unit with compressor was about 1100.00 US
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 08:40 PM

We have this little quirk in our GE splits. Sometimes, after a power failure, when the power goes back on one of the inside units spontaneously starts blowing. Fan only, not AC. This happens fairly often with the kitchen unit, rarely with the bedroom unit, and never with the living room unit.

We first found this out when we came back after two months in the states to find a fan blowing. Hey, who's been in our house! :lol:

So now we throw the circuit breaker when we leave town.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 06:23 AM

What about gas fired instead of a condenser. Maybe I could run this baby on solar.

http://www.easternpropane.com/air.html

Anybody have experience with one of these?

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 06:37 AM

Jefe
You better get yourself one of those for September. They do look interesting. Let us know if you find out any more information.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

and have lots of AC in summer.:lol::lol:

Hold onto your wallet. Our electric bill is around $300/month in the summer. Of course, that has not slowed down our consumption. I could not live here without a/c, I dont believe. There is something about knowing that when you get home, you can cool down that makes the heat tolerable.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
What about gas fired instead of a condenser. Maybe I could run this baby on solar.

http://www.easternpropane.com/air.html

Anybody have experience with one of these?

Gas air conditioners are good units. but you must have someone who really knows what they are doing to install them. it is different than a regular unit.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 11:02 AM

In La Paz,
you can get Lennox minisplits from a Lennox dealer who is one or two blocks inland from Abasolo somewhere between 5th de Fevrero and Colossio. Last year I bought two 1-ton minisplits for $400 USD each (air handler and compressor unit included for each one) and one 2-ton unit for $800 USD. So far, they work great. I have a 900 sq ft cinder block house. I put the 2-ton unit in the Kitchen/Dining room and a 1-ton in the small living room. I put the other 1-ton in one bedroom (13 ftx 13 ft). The other bedroom has a wall unit Carrier (1-1/2 ton, I think they call it a TPAC which means it also can work as a heater). Oh yeah.

If you do the math, I have a total of 5-1/2 tons of aircondtioning power for 900 sq ft of living space, that calculates out to about 1 ton for each 165 sq ft of living space.

If I had to do it over again, I would replace the 1-ton units with 1-1/2 ton units instead. It would have cost me a total of $400 more overall. Worth it!

The 2-ton unit does an incredible job of keeping things cool ... in a hurry. The 1-ton units do a very, very satisfactory job of keeping things cool. The wall unit does a fantastic job of keeping things cool, suprisingly.

BTW, make sure that you buy minisplits that also serve as room heaters, that only costs about $50 USD more per unit... again, worth it!

If I had used 1-1/2 ton units instead of the 1-ton units, that would total 6-1/2 tons for a 900 sq ft dwelling resulting in one ton of cooling power for every 140 sq ft of living space. Now, that's the ticket! Do it, you will be happy you did. You know, if you are going to have a place in BCS ... you know it gets darn hot in summer.

Also, if you are going through the brain damage of finding and buying the place, making sure you pay your annual trust fees, paying for and maintaining an FM3 and paying annual property taxes and prepaying for your utilities and then doing some work on the place to improve and maintain it and you are spending the money and arranging the time to go there and maybe even going through the expense of keeping a vehicle there, man, spend the money to keep the house cool and mean it. Be a man.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 11:51 AM

el hefe
thats not an air conditioner...thats a chiller unit

and they CAN be run on solar power with a back up generator

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
TheColoradoDude
Nomad

Mood: Paz, Amor, y Tacos de Pescado

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 02:08 PM

Can someone post some pictures of their units? Also, how long do they last usually and routine maintainence costs?
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 08:28 PM

I live in a 1300 sqft, 2br. cinder block building. I have 3 minisplits, Tranes. I'm not sure what size they are. They keep our unit frigid if we want. We set the thermostat at 83F during the day, dress down, use ceiling fans, and only cool the space we are using at the time. Since we live on the beach, we turn the one in the bedroom off at night and turn on the ceiling fan and open all the sliders. Our electric bill during Jul/Aug/Sep runs less than US$80 per month including electric stove. During the year when we are not using the AC our electric bill is about US$60 per month.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 08:49 PM
My mini-splits

From my previous post:

"Mini-Splits installed today

Today a family friend brought 2 very efficient technicians, Manny & Ernesto, from Loreto to install my 4-ton air conditioning system...the mini-splits, as they are called. The duo accomplished the whole job in about 2 1/2 hours...it was amazing to watch as they quickly used their skills to make a nice complete job.

The whole mini-split AC thing is really just like a heat pump install we use in our northern homes minus the heat function. The main unit is about 4 feet high by 4 feet wide by 1 1/2 feet wide and weighs around 250 lbs. The 3 inside cool-air dispersing units are connected with hose from the main outside unit and have remote controls. They are stylish and unobstrusive..and will not mess up your wife's decor. We put one unit in the great room, the second in the master bedroom, and the third in a guest room.

These are also very low energy units..using 220 power. Martin Miranda, our local electrician, is doing the power hookup.

Not nearly as expensive as I thought...and cheaper here than the units we put in at a lake home Up North. a good deal. Up North we paid that much for a 2 ton model and did the main install ourselves."

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2009 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Denver
I just installed 2 of them in a Baltimore rowhouse. I sourced them through E-bay and installed/hung them myself.

When you say you installed them yourself? I am curious how the copper lines connect between the compressor and the coil?

Did you have to solder them your self or does it work differently?
Thanks
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 09:47 PM

We have had several problems with our Samsung Split A/C unit.

No worries
Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2009 at 11:14 PM

So would it be more desirable to have 4 separate 1 ton units or the 4 ton with 4 outlets?

BTW does anyone insulate their block home construction in Baja.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.