Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Nets off of coast north of Ensenada
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 04:30 PM
Something will give

Take away the baitfish, BAM there goes many fisheries. Take away broodfish, BAM, there goes the next generation(or part of).
Don, you are spot-on bout the Whiting bycatch. Our continental shelf was scraped bad with trawls here many years ago but the recovery takes maybe a hundred in cold waters. Pelagic sp. like tuna, are damaged in a different way so to speak IMHO. It is not necessarily their habitat being compromised, it's the overkill by netting. It is usually habitat distruction that has marginalized rockfish sp. although salmon do get it from both ends. Methinks the blame game is not working. The management of the oceans is something I fear has too many loop-holes, grey area and politics at work. People will b-tch when the Tuna go away. It is only a matter of time.
I don't have a solution. Iam not expert or anywhere close to it but I do feel the day to day drudgery of the industry. Afterall, all we serve is fresh local seafood. (excpt for prawns)

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 04:41 PM

I know, I know, I'm one of "them" so I don't know caca and am a bad person in alot of peoples eyes...Do I care?NO! Do I have guilt for what I do? BIG NO! The fisheries I take part in are very clean...I dive and take exactly what i want, I fish with one hook and one line. My bi-catch consists of a few brittle stars and a few urchin shrimps, maybe a foul hooked blue bass here and there..CLEAN! yet I'm one of "them", and need to help change commercial practices.. Sorry i'm to busy trying to jump through hoops to continue what I love and make a living so I can make the odd trip to Baja with my family.
Sure,there are alot of comm. fisheries I would like to see discontinued, draggers #1! I don't know what goes on in the Sea of Cortez, i don't go there..Good luck with your efforts.
I was merely trying to bring to light something I see as possible waste of spawning fish, thats all.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 04:56 PM

Tom, you are certainly in your rights and correct to defend yourself. However that seems totally unnecessary. I have comm friends who plead the same story. It's a legitimate scenario much like your own. We certainly care as much as you do, it's a livelyhood. One I'd hate to see disappear. The solutions are complex and evolving. Shame we just don't have a finger on it. What really bugs me though are certain lessons learned, like the sardine issue, only to give in to concerns like FERTILIZER when things get better.!:fire: Reminds me of those old kelp-harvesters.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 06:32 PM

Had not heard of the fertilizer deal. Did see our harbor JUGGED with 14 inch sardines last year though. Pretty cool, we were getting 100#'s in the brailer at the slip!! Full of eggs!!Good cycle!!would hate to see them go again, but hey maybe that was a cycle to..Solo Dios Sabes..

Sorry to report, but, the kelp harvesters are at it again in recent years..Only see them at the outer islands,Nik,Clemente,Rosa,Miguel..Dreaded sight indeed!

Not sure what seems"totally unnecessary" to you?
My post was not directed at you, didn't see yours until after mine was posted..I guess you get a bit defensive when it comes from all angles all the time:P
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 06:59 PM

No....we do shallow water nearshore..sheepshead primarily

[Edited on 4-17-2006 by Tomas Tierra]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 08:15 PM

No..They closed it(limited access), I think in '01..then only handed out a few permits based on past landings..I didn't have enough landings myself , but 2 guys I work with got them..lucky..Alot of the permits went to trap guys.now two years ago they changed the quota system to per permit quotas,2500 lbs per month.Instead of yearly quota for everyone, once its met they close the fishery(usully around august)peeed the trap guys off as they would get 2500#'s in one trip,great for us we are much smaller time on the live fish..we are primarily an urchin boat. it was a great move for the fishery I think..we may take a coupla hundred pounds of live fish off one spot and th leagal urchins, then move. the trap guys would fish a spot till they quit catching then move..plus the damage the traps do and all that..and the quota lasts all year, good for our little market here in the harbor....mandatory closure every year march/april...

[Edited on 4-17-2006 by Tomas Tierra]
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2006 at 09:49 PM
Spawning tuna

OK. so how often do Yellowfin tuna spawn and how many eggs do they lay? I would like to see some data and not just hearsay. The hearsay is every 1.7 days during spawning season and 2 million eggs at a time and how many survive to reproduce. Im not taking any sides here I just want to see some data
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.