BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Your favorite fish and why?
bajasammy
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 09:10 PM

Our fishing is limited to the Bay at Estero Beach, but there's an amazing variety of fishies in there! My favorite to catch has been the bonefish, and to eat corbina or halibut.
coconaco
Nomad

Mood: respooled

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 09:31 PM

the fish I love to hate - BIG PARGO (colorado and dog tooth)

for sushi- albacore
for fighting- the whole jack family,pargo, WSB, log barracuda, TUNA
for eating- yellowtail, dorado, snappers, parrot fish, groupers, ling cod, sculpin, halibut

and the fish I can relate to - the COCONACO

THE MINNOW must be lost!!!!!
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 09:39 PM

the one I had whenh i was a kid!@

READY SET.....................
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 09:50 PM

Ive never met a fish I didnt like, but Im really partial to pelagics.

Get on the boat with the whole day ahead of you. Make some bait, and head for the numbers you researched last night on the web.

Start looking for temp breaks, and any flotsam in the water. Get in a fishy area. Outriggers are folded out and the jigs go in. Everybody is on the look out for a sign, any sign.

The right rigger pops, and that sound that you hear in your sleep makes your heart race.HOOK UP!!!!! Push the throttles forward to take the slack out as the crew sets the hook. Your on, that big angry billfish is heading for the horizon, the fight is on.

Ahhh dont even get me started on kelp patty fishing, fishing the iron, or baiting a billfish. I wont be able to sleep as it is. :tumble:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 09:53 PM

CORBINA!!!

Great eating and catch it in the surf all around Baja!

[Edited on 1-23-2007 by David K]

ccorbheadmitch.jpg - 42kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 1-22-2007 at 11:43 PM

My Favorite fish to EAT...

is probably Monkfish, aka...Poor Man's Lobster. I enjoy it best when it's been grilled over a hot mesquite fire.

after that is the very yummy Wahoo
or another favorite...Seared Ahi

My favorite to CATCH...

is probably a good sized...Yellowfin Tuna

But...you cant beat catching any good fighting fish on light tackle, either from a boat or wading into the warm water on a Baja beach.

AMO PESCAR = LOVE TO FISH

[Edited on 1-23-2007 by AmoPescar]
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 04:39 AM

White sea bass

Generally speared by spearfishermen, seldon seen never speared by late model tube sucking bubble blowers.

sdm
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt. George
bonefish on the flats of the lower Florida Keys...

stalking, hunting and fishing, and what a regal fish it is!

I'm with Captn George on this one.

The second most enjoyable experience is flyfishing the spring creeks in Montana/Idaho for rainbows. There's a lot of similarities to bonefish. Beautiful surroundings. Requires a good knowledge of entomology. Matching the hatch. Technically challenging and a lot of fun.

Bluegills on poppers is a blast. That should be starting in about a month or two.

In Baja? Beach fishing, when it's good can be as good as it gets. Sight fishing is the best. I suppose a jack crevalle from the beach, or a yellowtail, or a rooster is about as good as it gets.

But there are so many other competitors you normally wouldn't consider. Ladyfish on a flyrod is a hoot. Making bait at dawn is a real high for me, often surpassing bigger game later in the day. Wading the estuaries for halibut is very rewarding.

But you're right baitcast. Fishing is often the least significant part of fishing. And size and flavor play a minor role in the whole experience.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 06:51 AM

Interesting mix,let me add a few more fun guys to hook and land if you can,in the 70,s and 80,s shark fishing wasn,t as popular as it is today,but for me and friends it was the only thing,picture this 16' boat off the cal. coast,drift fishing for mako and thresher,that was as exciting has it gets,both great jumpers,never landed any big ones,no place to put one,even if we did,very scary to have a large mako close to the boat,they had a bad habit of jumping close in,had a thresher nearly knock me out with his tail!

On the other hand,Joe mentioned lady-fish,just a great fish on the right tackle,mullet super fun,jump like crazy,very strong and run like hell and last but not least the lowly carp.

Carp get very large,are spooky and fun to sight fish for,most people think dough balls or corn,nothing is further from the truth,they can be taken on a wet fly,crappie jigs,fast,strong,make long runs and are everwhere.

BAITCAST
bajadave1
Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 1-23-2007 at 07:23 AM
David K

How did you get the hook into that corbinas mouth from the bottom outside, INTO the mouth?:lol::lol::lol:

One of my favorite's is catching large roosterfish from a kayak. Then, let them tow you up and down the beach.

Tired of marlin, too much work. Dorado are fun, lots of jumps and very strong. ;)

Bajadave
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 08:58 AM

For eating: fresh speckled trout, or maybe Triple Tail or Cobia, or grouper or Bluegill, or....:spingrin:
For catching, Halibut, or snapper, or speckled trout, or......:bounce:
Can't really make up my mind.:D
Give me a few more years!!:spingrin::bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadave1
How did you get the hook into that corbinas mouth from the bottom outside, INTO the mouth?:lol::lol::lol:

One of my favorite's is catching large roosterfish from a kayak. Then, let them tow you up and down the beach.

Tired of marlin, too much work. Dorado are fun, lots of jumps and very strong. ;)

Bajadave

Well first off, that's not my photo but it shows the corbina close up real well... secondly, the hook is actually entering his mouth normally, on the inside... What you see is the area above the mouth opening/lip which extends downward as the corbina is a bottom feeder... like the croaker (another great fish...

Photo of my mom with a typical double hook-up of corbina in 1966 at the bay that would later become Bahia Santa Maria.

66-67 pics 014.jpg - 43kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 09:08 AM

Corbina on the Pacific side... San Antonio del Mar, 40 years ago!

66-67 pics 017.jpg - 37kB

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 09:15 AM

Corbina look a lot like the Whiting, AKA Ground Mullet caught in the Gulf of Mexico, only larger.:bounce::)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 09:46 AM

California Corbina, California King Croaker, California Whiting
(Menticirrhus undulatus) are the names given to this variety in Gene Kira's MexFish.com site (where the photo came from).... I never heard California Whiting applied, but from what you say, people recognize its looks.

The problem with 'corbina' in the Sea of Cortes is that the name is identical in sound (in Spanish) with the 'corvina' (v & b practically the same sound), which is a totally different fish (but also good eating).

Corvinas (orangemouth & shortfin) with a mouth in front hit on lures and corbinas, with a mouth on bottom, on bait (mussel, sand crabs, squid).

In Neil Kelly & Gene Kira's book 'The Baja Catch' the corbina is called 'Queen of the surf' and 'among the very best of seafoods' ... I couldn't agree more!

[Edited on 1-23-2007 by David K]

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 09:55 AM

damn now i want to go fishing and i want it now
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 10:17 AM

David K. Thanks for the fish info.:) They both sound good to me! One's like the speckle trout(the Corvina), only bigger and the other is like the Ground Mullet(Corbina). Either one is a treat to catch or eat.:)
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 11:33 AM

baitcast

You have come full circle on your fishing career...congratulations!. I too have done lots of fishin' been there done that for the most part. Now...I'm justa happy camper fishing the light lines from shore over a rocky outcropping fishing the crankbaits for the likes of jacks and pargo. Rapala now makes a deadly suspending lure...great fun!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2007 at 12:21 PM

Cabrilla
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

wow.gif posted on 1-23-2007 at 01:19 PM
the butt fish

a fine eating specimen.............common to many of the world's waters.
:biggrin:

buttfish.jpg - 41kB

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.