Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 5-21-2008 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
By looking at the images posted here, maybe now you will understand why (to us locals) it is the most unsafe hwy to travel, day or night.

All the images show is a nice wide highway.

CaboRon

No they don't. The area closest to TJ has several stop signs and cross traffic. Far from being wide open. This is where the problem is at night. This neighborhood was the end of the road until the rest of the highway opened last year. Nothing good happens at the end of a road in Mexico.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-21-2008 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

No they don't. The area closest to TJ has several stop signs and cross traffic. Far from being wide open. This is where the problem is at night. This neighborhood was the end of the road until the rest of the highway opened last year. Nothing good happens at the end of a road in Mexico.

Woosh.......do you mean stop signs on Industrial Blvd???? The last time I was on Blvd 2000 southbound (about 3 weeks ago) I didn't see any stopsigns. They have completed the overpass by the new Commercial Mexicana shopping center complex. It was a great trip, quick and very little traffic either way.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-21-2008 at 05:28 PM

Last year there were 3 stops with cross traffic near the north end of Blvd. 2000... this month, only one... new interchanges have been built....

Hey, if you want to drive through downtown TJ with multiple stops, smokey busses and trucks and use the old free road, that's okay with me... but why put down an excellent highway that misses all that noise and traffic? Maybe because Ferna keeps saying how dangerous it is? Ferna lives almost on the free road in TJ, so he never has a reason to use Blvd. 2000... So, let's use first hand reports by Nomads who drive Blvd. 2000... recently.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-21-2008 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Maybe because Ferna keeps saying how dangerous it is? Ferna lives almost on the free road in TJ, so he never has a reason to use Blvd. 2000... So, let's use first hand reports by Nomads who drive Blvd. 2000... recently.

Yep, and ignore a report from a local, who will have more information than this board will EVER have. Makes perfect sense to me Daahhhveed. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-21-2008 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
because Ferna keeps saying how dangerous it is?

If I was not concened for the safety of my friends, Baja Nomads, I would not post that information!
Quote:
Ferna lives almost on the free road in TJ, so he never has a reason to use Blvd. 2000...

FYI, most of the time we travel south it is for camping purposes with scouts, our scout group meets in La Mesa, very, very, extreemly, super, ultra, almost at, you could say right by Blvd 2000 and guess what, neither I or other scouts like to use it because of the potential dangers, we take Lazaro Card##as (the road that comes from the bus depot) up to were it meets hwy 1 close to La Gloria.
Quote:
So, let's use first hand reports by Nomads who drive Blvd. 2000... recently.

Yes, lets. What can a person that lives in Tijuana know about the roads in his town :rolleyes:

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2008 at 09:51 AM

Sorry Ferna... it is just that you NEVER use it... and people like Bajaguy and others here (more than I) do use it all the time... NO FIRST HAND reorts of ANY problems.

You do live about 50 miles closer to it than I, but I use it and you don't... so I don't see where we live having that big of a deal on the usefulness of a report on a road in Baja... It's who actually uses a road that can best describe what it's like... (understand that concept Roberto?)

I would only ask that people who drive roads in Baja be the ones who report on those roads... regardless of where you live.

Naturally, you are more aware of reported problems on roads near you, and you have posted often that the Blvd. 2000 is dangerous... So, we Nomads are aware and your input is appreciated... Those of us who have used it (in the daytime) and post here, have not had any problems. Would you say that it is only dangerous at night (like other north Baja roads)?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2008 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry Ferna... it is just that you NEVER use it... and people like Bajaguy and others here (more than I) do use it all the time... NO FIRST HAND reorts of ANY problems.

Sorry but I HAVE used it and no, I have had no problems but I do have FIRST HAND reports from people that live here of MANY terrible problems including asaults, kidnappings and murders there.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2008 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Naturally, you are more aware of reported problems on roads near you, and you have posted often that the Blvd. 2000 is dangerous... So, we Nomads are aware and your input is appreciated... Those of us who have used it (in the daytime) and post here, have not had any problems. Would you say that it is only dangerous at night (like other north Baja roads)?

Naturally, you can do whatever you want. Oh and specialy, according to you, go ahead and drive south Baja roads at night, only north baja roads are dangerous at night.
And another thing, please never use the free road, forget I even mentioned it, I'm not King Ferdinand :lol:

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2008 at 03:21 PM

Quote:

I would only ask that people who drive roads in Baja be the ones who report on those roads... regardless of where you live.

Can I call you on it next time you post anything about a road and don't drive it?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2008 at 04:40 PM

Ferna, it was you who said that where one lives does not make him an expert on that country... Because you are a Mexican and live closer to, say for example: Mision Santa Maria, than me... Does that mean my trip report/ web page http://vivabaja.com/msm is not as good as what you have to say about it after hearing someone else's report... simply because you live closer and are a Mexican?

Check this thread, it is MY trip report of the Blvd. 2000... what I saw and documented... that's all. In many places you have made it quite clear you wouldn't use it because of what you heard... great. But for you, Roberto, JD Trotter, etc. to discount the report as not being valid because I am an American, live some miles north of you, etc. is pretty dumb...

I am not, nor ever have said your reports were 'wrong'... I am only reporting on facts as I have seen them... as have other Nomads who have used Blvd. 2000... Facts, documentation, evidence VS. Rumors, hysteria, fear. I think both have been offered and the Baja traveler is now armed with enough information to make an intelligent decision.

I sorry you are not taking this in the spirit of friendly discussion, but on your other points... I don't like to drive any Baja roads at night (Norte or Sur)... not out of fear, but because I like to see the country I am driving through! I have driven Baja Norte roads a LOT at night, but only because of a time issue.

Yes, if I ever tell someone about a road I have not driven over, you can call me on it...

You know I am one of the biggest promoters of Baja California travel that does it only for my love of the place and not because of a business that makes money... When I discover a great place, be it a restaurant, historic site, off road adventure, or something that I think others would enjoy (like Shari's Bahia Asuncion photos) even if I haven't been there, yet, I share it here...

My motive is the sharing of information so that the Baja Nomads or any Baja loving people can see something or experience something, before it is gone... My Viva Baja parties were to help Baja loving people meet and find out about new places, books, activities in Baja...

Call me next time I post something you think is negative about you... Check the new web page I made of the Booksigning... http://community-2.webtv.net/thebaja/book6 YOUR web site is given with your photo because I think you are a valuable source of help to travelers AND because I like you very much, as a person... Ok amigo?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-22-2008 at 06:14 PM
Blvd 2000 clarification

Quote:
... and people like Bajaguy and others here (more than I) do use it all the time... NO FIRST HAND reorts of ANY problems.

I have driven Blvd 2000 both north and south bound, generally during daylight, never a problem, and now that the overpass by the new Commercial Mexicana is completed, the cross traffic hazards are lessened.

Only driven southbound at night once and again, no problems.

I guess I am of a different mindset, as I will take in all advice and comments, then evaluate risks vs benefits. If someone anywhere (US, Mexico or Canada) wants to try and stop me while I am in a vehicle, regardless if they have a weapon or not, barring a complete vehicle breakdown on my part they will be in for quite a surprise.

My concern is running into a cow or horse on Blvd 2000. That's why I generally travel during daylight.

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by bajaguy]

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 5-22-2008 at 06:49 PM

There you go David -- you claim people attack you, yet when someone questions a post, you don't hesitate to say their opinion is dumb, and sarcastically ask about their ability to understand concepts.

Since that's the tone you want to set, let me ask YOU a question. What's the value of "local knowledge"? Those who live and work there FULL TIME, and don't base their understanding on a website or a book are the ones that have the most reliable information. Wouldn't you say that you have more information on you neighborhood regardless of how recently a tourist has been through the area? Is it REALLY that hard to understand? Get off your high-frickin' horse, David, and accept the fact that there are those who know more than you EVER will about getting out and about in Baja. Many of us managed to do that a LOOOOONNNNNG time ago. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

As far as your statement that there have no problem reports regarding this road, what's your take on this? http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31461#pid3206...

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by Roberto]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2008 at 10:14 PM

I didn't say their opinion was dumb. I said: YOU and others saying that because I live 50 miles north of Ferna makes my trip report wrong, is what's dumb.

Doesn't matter WHERE you live IF you never (or sometimes) use a road.... Because, someone who just used that road KNOWS more about it's current condition. That's all I have been saying.

The link you gave still doesn't come from anyone with FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE... did you read it? That is what we in America call 'hear-say', information from someone else other than the person doing the report.

Understand that is all FINE with me... but AS I SAID ALREADY, Personal experience reports (like what BAJAGUY just posted above you) have a HIGHER value to the traveler, that's all.

There is nothing rude or anti personal with making a logical statement like that... and nothing against Ferna was implied... The information in my trip report is 100% correct when I made the report... and a year later it seems the same except we didn't go to the Otay border, so didn't experience the construction reported by others... except it was better with only one 4 way stop instead of three. Ferna has frequently advised against anyone using it and to drive through downtown Tijuana, instead... That's his desire, and that is fine for him to advise... He lives there and drives downtown Tijuana daily, afterall!

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by David K]

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2008 at 12:29 PM

I'll stop at this:
Neither you or I have been victims of a hijacking, kidnapping or armed robery in Baja California yet, so safety issues in Baja California are non existant because it's all 'hear-say'
Quote:
That is what we in America call 'hear-say', information from someone else other than the person doing the report.

[Edited on 5-23-2008 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2008 at 01:20 PM

Ferna, I said those kind of reports are fine... keep up the good work.

I was replying to Roberto, not you with the comment that someone who has driven the road has the most recent (best) information on that road, no matter what country he was born in. Road Conditions is what I am talking about (this forum)... Reported crimes and problems belongs in Baja News forum...

Have a nice weekend... come on over the the gulf side join us on the beach!

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2008 at 02:27 PM

Can't travel right now but enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2008 at 02:36 PM

Thanks Ferna... You, Simone and the family have a great one as well!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-25-2008 at 05:41 PM

Here is a video to show some of the landmarks and what the terrain looks like when traveling along Blvd. 2000 as you get near the Pacific coast and towards the La Presa reservoir.

Baja Video w/Blvd. 2000
(Please ignore the test tone for first 8 sec.)

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 06:44 AM

http://www.frontera.info/EdicionEnLinea/Notas/Noticias/25052...

[Edited on 5-26-2008 by fdt]

fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2008 at 08:45 AM

Oh, it was in broad daylight 10AM
http://www.afntijuana.info/2008/mayo/25mayo/balacera.html

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.