Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Suspension airbags for off road use
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 6-8-2007 at 10:31 PM
I took my air bags off...

...of our 99 F-350. I'd installed them before our road trip last Oct, and put a sharp rock or twig or stick or some kind of flotsam right through one side while driving on a gravel road!

We've got the camper/towing setup - o'load leaf and sway bar from the factory. I put on 9000 adj. Rancho's also.

I didn't like the 'sway factor' with the 16 inch single rear wheels - I didn't notice any improvement when I installed the air bags.

I had a devil of a time finding another air bag on the road...everyone offered to order one with several days wait...found one in Phoenix only when they agreed to break up a kit and reorder the bag for their stock - nice guys!

When I got back from the trip, I took off the air bags and installed the 'SuperSpring' helper leaves that lay atop the overload leaf and are attached by adjustable shackles so you can adjust the height to even out the 10 ft camper load we carry...BTW, our Lance looks just like 3DKen's pic - nice rig Ken!

Due to the weight of the loaded rig, I switched to 325/65R18 ProComp XAT tires and it's eliminated the 'sway factor' a great deal - a real day/night kind of improvement!

As we carry the camper most of the time on our truck, if I had it to do all over again, I'd take the loaded rig down to my friendly leaf spring shop and have them remove those 'short, HARD ridin' overload leaves, and modify the main spring packs to handle the camper load by themselves!

The air bags are good for adjusting the level of the loaded truck, for/aft and side to side...but if you puncture one like we did, you're riding back down on those hard ridin' overload leaves till you get it fixed...and if you're miles down a washboard road, it's going to be a long, rough ride back!

Click on image to enlarge:

BTW...For you SuperDuty drivers out there, you can get the finned, alum rear diff cover shown in the picture above(they're stock on the 08 models) from your FORD dealer (part#8C3Z-4033-A) for about $35, Garage price, and about $50 retail! You'll need 12 each, 5/16-18, 1-1/4 long, bolts for the new finned cover. I got some SS socket head bolts to match the alum finish...cooool:cool:

I stuck mine on when I changed the diff gears to 4.56 ratio (and a Detroit TrueTrac LS in the rear) a couple weeks ago.

[Edited on 6-9-2007 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2007 at 07:14 PM

I have been using airbags on our Baja Mobile - FJ60. After about 2500 miles of loaded travel, I am really happy with them! I am particularly happy with the tunability of the bags. I will provide an update and pictures after we return.

Have a great day,
Dan
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:27 AM
Done locally

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Hook, I'm glad I read this. I will now not buy the Bilsteins based on your experience. I have to get get my sway down. So, maybe I'll look at the Ranchos. Where can I find them?

Got a quote last week for Rancho 9000XL's @ $600 installed and another $600 for the ''remote'' (comes with an air compressor). The remote is 2 gauges installed in the cab that make adjusting easy -- push a button and go hard or soft. Not cheap.

:cool:
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:30 AM

Quote:
push a button and go hard or soft. Not cheap.

:cool:

We should all be so lucky......:lol::lol::lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

We should all be so lucky......:lol::lol::lol:

Somebody told me those things had a foot pump which would probably ruin the mood.
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2007 at 08:34 PM

This is a very informative thread.

I have just put a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires on my Suburban and just drove it down Highway 1. I was really surprised at how much sway there was with all of my camping great for a family of four for two weeks.

Would air bags be the solution to the sway? Or should I first go with stiffer springs? The back end is a few inches lower than the front with the load.

I do a fair amount of moderate off-roading on graded washboard and the occasional ungraded road.

Thanks,

Joel
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 08:01 AM
Air Bags

I know Hook is on the road, but thought I would add my 2 cents.

Just arrived back home from Baja with our airbags in a crate in the back of the truct. We had the airbags installed when we had a small camper---great for leveling and helped a lot.

However, no matter how many times we tightened them we had a problem with them coming loose on dirt roads. Thus, they road home this time in a crate. We are putting our super springs back on.

May need shocks soon, glad to hear the reccomendations.

Diane

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 02:37 PM

["Would air bags be the solution to the sway? Or should I first go with stiffer springs? The back end is a few inches lower than the front with the load."]

With some of the problems people are having with the air bags I would go for a stiffer spring. Do you have an antisway bar in the rear? Maybe add one.
dshock
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 04:44 PM

The problem with a stiffer spring is that they are stiff all the time and will punish you when unloaded. I am incredibly happy with my airbags. Of course, I did some extensive modifications to the brackets to eliminate any possiblity of them loosening. The airbags themselves will take the punishment, but the bracketry has to be up to the task. I think that they are the prefect solution for your suburban...

If you want to use them offroad and for sway control, install a couple of valves so that you can isolate the bags (for sway control) or allow air to flow between them for articulation. It is a great solution!

Have a great day,
Dan
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2007 at 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dshock
The problem with a stiffer spring is that they are stiff all the time and will punish you when unloaded. I am incredibly happy with my airbags. Of course, I did some extensive modifications to the brackets to eliminate any possiblity of them loosening. The airbags themselves will take the punishment, but the bracketry has to be up to the task. I think that they are the prefect solution for your suburban...

If you want to use them offroad and for sway control, install a couple of valves so that you can isolate the bags (for sway control) or allow air to flow between them for articulation. It is a great solution!

Have a great day,
Dan

Yes, we also liked the air-bags, but had the problem because we did not modify the brackets. What we like about the super springs is that they don't engage unless there is a load.

Happy Travels
Diane

joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2007 at 08:18 AM

Any recommendations on a set-up for rear airbags with a controller in the driving compartment? I think I'm going to put one on my Suburban with coils.
MoFish
Junior Nomad

Mood: Gonzaga dreamin

[*] posted on 7-8-2007 at 09:19 PM

I have air bags ,rancho 9000 shocks -3 trips down Highway 5 2600 # Lance no problem with the suspension . just flats
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 12:18 PM
installing air bags

Quote:
Originally posted by dshock
Of course, I did some extensive modifications to the brackets to eliminate any possiblity of them loosening. The airbags themselves will take the punishment, but the bracketry has to be up to the task.
Have a great day,
Dan

Dshock, or anybody,

What is the modification to the bracket???

Thanx,
TT
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 12:28 PM

Heres something to consider.

http://www.timbren.com/

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 01:08 PM

My 2-cents worth-------

'94 F-250 ext. cab, long bed 4x4 with a 1000lb Callen cabover camper plus Gregor boat on top and full load of camp gear------285x75 16's BFG All terraign TA (load range D)on 8 inch wide rims-----50 lbs on the highway, 40 lbs (roughly) in the dirt (or less in sand)

no overloads------add-a-leafs front and rear making the rear springpacks 6 leaf, and the front spring packs 3 leaf. Bilstein motorhome shocks on the front----KYB motorhome shocks on the back------anti sway bars front and rear------truck sits absolutely level when fully loaded, back end slightly higher when unloaded-------rides like a dream, both on and off pavement with practically no sway. I love this suspension.

I do a lot of driving on bad roads, so wanted something that would "stand up" to the wash board and rocks punishment------this suspension works great------had it for about 5 years now, and it was totally installed by a shop that specializes in custom suspensions for motorhomes and off-road vehicles.

My experience in the past is that airbags fail on bad roads----they just cannot take the constant pounding-----but they are fine on pavement.

[Edited on 9-14-2007 by Barry A.]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 02:27 PM

Quote:

My experience in the past is that airbags fail on bad roads----they just cannot take the constant pounding-----but they are fine on pavement.

[Edited on 9-14-2007 by Barry A.]

BARRY,
Have you had the bags fail on your rig? If so what brand and how did they fail?? Thanx for posting..

TT
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 02:40 PM

Thomas T.-----

Yes, I have had airbags and air-shocks fail on my rig, but it was a long time ago (15 years ago??), and it was a smaller rig----still a full size pickup, but smaller camper-----a shell.

I am sorry but I do not remember the brand names on either the shocks or the bags, but it was so long ago it probably doesn't matter now.

I have heard others complain about airbag failures in the rough road areas, but they seem to work just fine on the pavement-----it is the vibration from washboard that seems to cause the failures, as well as multible rocks.

By the way, I destroyed two wood framed alum. covered camper shells on the roads of Baja over the years. I finally bought a custom designed 43" tall cab-over Callen Camper (steel frame) 24 years ago and it is still going strong with no structural failures----it is on it's second truck.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Heres something to consider.

http://www.timbren.com/

Thank You Comitan- I will look into those as well.

I have always been sort of anti-airbag. Now in preparing a 2002 Tundra for my Four wheel pop up camper, I'm thinking they may be the way to go. it is an 8 foot camper on a six foot bed..and, I will be taking it off alot so I want the adjusability..

The way I have my current truck set up with built up leaf spring packs,it's just rediculous without the camper on.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
I finally bought a custom designed 43" tall cab-over Callen Camper (steel frame) 24 years ago and it is still going strong with no structural failures----it is on it's second truck.

Barry,

I've been with the alum. frame 4 wheel pop up camper for a dozen years or so..Just got a new(er) one a couple of months ago:spingrin:.
had my last one (built in 1984)for over 10 years.Just sold it for $100 more than i paid..

Have heard nothing but great things about Callens forever..

The bags must have been improved in 15 years, I'm hoping so anyway...
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2007 at 02:54 PM

TT-----You and Neal Johns really champion those "pop-ups"--------I will have to look into that as my Callen is really pretty basic, with no amenities to speak of------it really is just a giant "shell" with a closed luggage compartment over the cab, but it has served me well-----but it is REALLY heavy!!

My biggest concern with the "Pop-up" camper is will it support a 14 foot Alum (tin boat)??

Lots of good advice on this thread, I am thinking.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.