BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: El Dorado Ranch- San Felipe, any news?
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-14-2007 at 10:33 PM
Thanks Bernie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Do not check your brains at the border when you visit Mexico!!!

Steve in Oro Valley

Steve, Believe me the Bajarunner has 'never' checked his brains anyplace...........He was referring to a friend.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bernie, correct as usual.
Actually I am very surprised that my compatriot got himself in this situation. He is a fairly significant homebuilder here, does about 150 homes a year. He and two of his big subcontractors went in on the deal, I think about 300 large.
Anyway, he did talk to Mr. PB by phone while he was there and I think in very clear, unaccented English, the point was made that there better be a completed unit by Christmas, or Uncle Looie may get involved.... just guessing, of course.
And, to add insult to injury, they offered them a rental condo for the weekend (that they had planned to spend in the new casa) and then charge them $600 US for the rental.
Not a bright move on someones part, trust me.
Ah the saga marches on,
I will keep you all posted on unfolding events.

And Bernie, I am with you, I would not buy at that place at any price with any guarantee....
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 08:06 AM

BTW-- Mia Casita is EDR Contracrtor for construction!
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 10:31 AM

I just tried to put a post on here, but the servers must have hiccuped and didn't work. If a similar post shows up it's not cuz I'm nuts.

El Dorado Ranch is like an "Improv" sitcom. Who needs TV with all the goings on there.:lol: Everytime things change there, or a new thing comes along to jerk you around the developer and his henchman blame the Mexican Government. " God bless the government of Mexico, without them the developer would have to hire a gag writer and El Dorado Ranch could not operate.
:barf::barf::moon:
Bajajorge
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 10:37 AM

Runner, just to thank your friend from the 50% at El Dorado who would like to hire a hitman.:bounce:
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 7-15-2007 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajajorge
Runner, just to thank your friend from the 50% at El Dorado who would like to hire a hitman.:bounce:

No need to thank him,
Uncle Looie is on a retainer, and he ain't had much work lately, so he needs a little tuneup for a bigger event.
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 06:27 AM

Quote:
At El Dorado I would think the split is about 50-50 among the property owners. Those who trust the developer and those who feel they got scammed.

It probably depends a bit how much someone paid (and how recently they brought). I brought a resale solar lot with trailer (and later added an adjacent resale lot), a few years back. For the tiny amounts I paid, it does what I want (although running costs are a bit high). I think Pat tries, but the scale of things has got out of his control and the mountain side of the development is pretty much ignored now.

However, when I brought I was told the building style was "anything goes", which it was at the time, but it's now "Californian Suburban" (or whatever they call it). That, along with all the new rules, fees, increasing costs, lack of decent workmanship, increasing interference from Mexicali (such as the "stop" signs in crazy locations) and so on has certainly discouraged me from building in the short/medium term. I wouldn't invest any serious money in El Dorado at present.

Or anywhere in San Felipe - the whole of the market is WAY overpriced. For an undeveloped town in a third world country down the end of an unreliable road it's crazy to ask Californian prices. Nice place to be if you don't spend too much on a property (although the Californians with no sense of money are pushing up prices all round, making it harder to eat out on a budget). Not somewhere to buy/build at current bubble prices though.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 08:26 AM

People, People, People, settle down. Enough on this negativism already. I bought two solar lots in El Dorado Ranch. In 1997, I put a 5th wheel trailer on the second lot, which is now the guest house. Then in 1998, I built a 1500 sq ft strawbale house (with 1800 sq ft of covered patio) and a two car garage, on the corner lot. All of this was done for under 100,000 (including the 12 panel solar system). :yes: :yes: :yes:

How am I going to get 500,000 for all of this, (including dune buggy), out of some crazy retiring Californian if you all keep telling it like it is? :?::?::?::?::?:

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 11:46 AM

With the NEW Inspection Program(permits going up in price & Fees) who knows we just might stand a better chance of selling an existing home to someone who is NO LONGER interested in Building!!:tumble::tumble::tumble:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
The story of up front money and no construction is becoming a common thing at El Dorado. Got to be careful about what I say as they use the slander laws frequently there. The picture of the 40 grand lot on the brochure is not what you get. The picture shows lots at 200-300 thousand maybe. The 40s are somewhere around 3 miles from the beach and golf course. El Dorado is a nice place, but they have Americanized it so much, you'd think you're building in California. CCRs up the kazoo and they have no qualms about telling you what you can and can't do with your property. Building permits cost thousands. I better get off my soap box before I get sued.

And here I thought the story of the Golden Fleece was an old myth.

Hmmmm.............El Dorado..........Golden Fleece. :O

Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-16-2007 at 01:08 PM
Always wondered how that got started

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
(although the Californians with no sense of money are pushing up prices all round, making it harder to eat out on a budget).

Who was that first Californian who insisted on paying double the posted menu price? :rolleyes:

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2007 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
(although the Californians with no sense of money are pushing up prices all round, making it harder to eat out on a budget).

Who was that first Californian who insisted on paying double the posted menu price? :rolleyes:

Local places put up prices, people from California etc think they're no worse than at home so pay them, prices stay high.... Even over the past few years the "tourist tax" has really gone up as more have realised how easy it is to overcharge and get away with it.

In many ways, the cost of living is higher in San Felipe than Yuma - where there's a lot less of the "I'm on vacation so it doesn't matter if it's a bit spendy" type of tourist.

San Felipe also seems to attract the "it's my dream home so I don't care what it costs" crowd as well, so why not charge a bit more for land and construction if you can get away with it...
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

thumbdown.gif posted on 7-18-2007 at 07:38 AM
A Developer's Dream

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie

Taking money and not delivering a product couldn't be more wrong.

Seems, more and more, to be the Baja way! They do deliver....,but it's only a dream.

Seem to be hearing more and more of these problems !! It seems you simply cannot do business with this type of company/developer ..... Many scams seem to involve the one two punch of "Rushed/Pressured" sales tactics and the need for all the money up front ...... Red Flags Should Be Popping Up ............. CaboRon

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 7-18-2007 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
[ Red Flags Should Be Popping Up ............. CaboRon

Yeah! About 20 years ago.....it seems to me!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.