Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Cost of a New Panga?
aquaholic
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 02:06 PM

...I was just reading Hook's latest post, and he is right about the Grady's. They have had a Carolina Flare with Deep-V for a long time. Whalers went to the Accutrac Hull with the Deep-V in the mid-90's. It gives a much softer and dryer ride than the Grady. The Deep-V's take more HP, but give a MUCH softer ride than a flatter bottom boat (pangas). I have a Whaler 210 Outrage with a 175 HP Optimax, that has an optimum cruise at 3500 RPM, riding at about 26 MPH. At that speed, I'm burning 5.9 - 6.0 GPH. I'm very happy with the economy and the performance in all kinds of seas. When I'm home, I fish out on the ocean for salmon across the bar at Westport, Wa., and the boat is as dry and smooth as I could hope it to be.

...In my next post, I'll list the equipment I use to catch salmon across the bar, and never have to leave my barstool...:D
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 02:09 PM

Here you go Hook;
My old '88 Aquasport !!
26' with deeep vee and BIG outboard; what a boat !!
Huge 7' long catch locker/seat in front with 2 big bait wells in back, removeable floor panels, removeable leaning post, in-rail rod holders, etc.
Yes, that is an early Evinrude 300-V8 !!
You can't even see the 25 horse kickier on the other side.
50+mph to the fish !!

[Edited on 7-20-2007 by Diver]

boat 2.jpg - 35kB
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 02:37 PM

Some great boat talk! We are upgrading from a 14' inflatable with a 15hp to a slightly bigger boat. We are looking at 16' aluminum or 13-14' Whaler with a 40-50hp. Which would be a better "ride"?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 03:55 PM

In all but flat conditions, the Whaler will ride better.
And if you do get caught in a bad storm, I'd rather be in a Whaler.
However; I have survived many storms in my aluminum boat that costs half as much and it does take less motor and that does lead to better mileage and easier towing and easier launching but ......
Well I am certainly not going to chose for you !!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 03:56 PM

Marty, is this for use at the new BOLA digs, exclusively?

If so, I think I would go Whaler for the added weight and the safety factor. I've heard that you can sometimes get chop at BOLA..........:lol:

Better creature comforts with glass, too.

A larger tin boat might change my decision.

[Edited on 7-20-2007 by Hook]

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 04:01 PM

Diver, what was the beam on that beauty? Was it a 9 footer? Older Aquasports were good boats.

26 foot deep vee and 300 ponies..........chop, what chop???? :bounce:

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2007 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Diver, what was the beam on that beauty? Was it a 9 footer? Older Aquasports were good boats.

26 foot deep vee and 300 ponies..........chop, what chop???? :bounce:

They listed the beam at 8'6 but it was wider in places.
You are correct; chop had to be over 3' and steep to tickle that boat. I crossed the gulf stream from Boca to Bimini enough times to know it was safe in 20' rollers and 8' breakers !!
Bought it from a kid that I figured was running drugs to have that monster motor on it. It would have done fine with something a bit smaller and lighter.
Did I mention that I loved that boat ??! :biggrin:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 07:47 AM

Well, I am not a boat engineer but here is the little bit I do know about the difference on these boats. I have fished quite a bit on a 19.5 whaler that is owned by San Marcos Mike at Isla San Marcos. I realize that boat is built like a tank but it takes a 150 hp motor to operate the boat. I have also fished on a Mako in the 20 ft range and it takes a 200 hp motor to move this boat. The Grady was, if I remember correctly, around 20 to 21 ft and it took an old 225 to push it through the water.
Now I have been in a lot of Lupe's boats and a 23 super panga does quite well with a 90 hp motor. Now most people opt for 115's and then run it in the 2/3 range.
Hook has spent a lot more time in other boats than I have and he feels the ride is drier in the other boats. I think the ride in the newer super pangas is very dry and prefer the ride of the panga as far as the Sea of Cortez is concerned. I especially think it is good both coming in to a choppy sea and better than most on rear quartering seas. These other boats evolved for a wide range of conditions and different waters. An example would be the Florida boats that were developed to meet a very specific set of conditions that are inherent with southeasten US Waters.
There are a lot of pangas that have been built because Americans and Canadians wanted a center console and a local boatbuilder modified an existing mold to accomodate that desire, but IMHO Lupe Diaz has over the years evolved a Super Panga which has no comparison.
John Haberman from Mulege has a brand new boat called the Juanita II which is a real beauty and Don Alley who posts a lot on Nomads has a really beautiful boat this year. One of the first boats off of the new mold went to Harry Oxley of Punta Chivato and he put twin Yamaha 70's on. Harry has used this boat for quite a few years and is very, very happy.
bajabound
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 08:55 AM

Sorry for fueling the fire but I heard that maker Mako was purchased in 2000 and the quality of the boat hasn't been the same that time? Is there any truth to the quality issues after 2000?

Thans again for your previous responses.
Excellent info for a first time boat buyer.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 09:29 AM

I am suffering deep boat envy here amigos!

Iflyfish
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 10:50 AM

Why are not, large 24-26' all aluminum, center console boats more poplar in Baja?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 03:27 PM

Not sure Al, I have a 21 foot Lund that has been a great boat. The tales of bad ride, leaks, etc have proven to be wrong, at least in the case of my boat. It gets better gas milage than most glass boats (with equal motors) and has proven itself to be an excellent fishing platform.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound
Sorry for fueling the fire but I heard that maker Mako was purchased in 2000 and the quality of the boat hasn't been the same that time? Is there any truth to the quality issues after 2000?

Thans again for your previous responses.
Excellent info for a first time boat buyer.

That's what I've heard, too.

I actually think that Mako and many other manufacturers began to seriously cut corners in hull construction around the mid-90s.

As mentioned, I liked the late 80s boats for the combo of construction and layout. Probably like the Kencrafts even more than the Makos because they have a higher gunwale heighth, but they are not as common, especially on the West Coast.

Pescador's right about the increased power needed; it's the compromise that is unavoidable with a deep or modified vee with a transom deadrise of, say, 16 degrees or greater and glass construction. I like the stepped hulls, too, towards the rear in this deadrise. The vee upfront will cut the chop a little better than a panga (in my experience) but without the nice Carolina flare, those quartering seas to windward or leeward can be drenching in a deeper vee. Hulls like the Stripers, Wellcrafts, Trophys, etc. seem prone to this.

Pangas can be pretty dry riding but the chop can be formidable with so little weight up front. But my experience is almost exclusively with the older generation pangas. The newer ones are apparently much different.

[Edited on 7-21-2007 by Hook]

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Why are not, large 24-26' all aluminum, center console boats more poplar in Baja?

Actually you have to go to a boat like a Pacific Boat Works boat to get into the larger boats. I have a 20 ft Aluminum boat that was built in Australia because it has almost 1/4 in plate on the bottom. The constant flexing with aluminum can prove to be a problem over a long haul and you begin to see stress cracks in the hull, crossmembers, and transoms. When you get into the 24 foot length, then you have to make it really heavy to provide the strength needed for that much length. Gregor and Klamath make some really beautiful boats but they usually will some some stress at some point with hard usage. As soon as I say that there is probably some body who has a 20 footer that has pounded it 20 miles a day for 30 years but I have seen a lot of stress cracks on most of these boats after a time and you should never make the mistake of even considering a riveted boat.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2007 at 01:28 PM

Hook;
Yes it will be kept in BOLA. What about buying a panga or any boat down there? I could bring a motor down to attach. There seem to be a lot of boats just "sitting around" in Bahia de LA.
I'm checking Craigs list fairly regularly. My buddy wants to get a Whaler Montauk....we'll see what happens.
Martyman
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-24-2007 at 01:46 PM

Boats just sitting around. :?: Check the fuel consumption of those lil dumplings.:) The owners probably keep 'em docked in order to pay for essentials, like food, lodging, etc..:spingrin:
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2007 at 02:47 PM

Just a few thoughts...

I'm running a 115 Merc 4 stroke on my panga. This is not a fast boat, compared to many of the American deep v's. I get about 6000+ rpms at full throttle; specs say max is 6400 but my tachometer only goes to 6000. I may replace that. Anyway, at wide open with smooth seas I've read just under 34 MPH on a gps with 3/4 fuel and two people. I can cruise at about 25-27mph at around 5000-5200 rpm and at 4500-4700 21-22mph. I'm still playing with the trim, and still have stuff to add. and I have to calculate some fuel burn rates. Right now I'm up north so no running for a while. A while back, we rode on a Diaz panga with a 150hp 2-stroke that made 33-34 mph.

Ride: IMO better than the other local pangas, with a better entry into chop, less banging and shaking. I haven't taken it out into conditions that got us wet, but my guess is it's dryer than the Sonora pangas but wetter than many of the US built boats.

Another big consideration for getting a panga was ease of launching, beachability, and shallow draft. I fish close in inshore, a little scary with the outbaord compared to my kayak. Big submerged rocks show up really fast! :o And I have not gotten a spare prop yet.

I had one engine problem, the alternator on the Merc was faulty. With limited time to use the boat we did not opt for warranty service but had a local Merec dealer mechanic come over on a Friday night and he had us good to go Saturday morning for 500 pesos parts and 500 labor. Also, the hour gauge has failed and must be replaced.

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 7-24-2007 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
First question;
If your going to trailer it all that way and only use it in the bay, why not get one of these 20 footers ?

Diver, that is the exact boat I have. Thanks for the pic. For me it is the perfect baja boat. Easy to trailer, easy to launch, and very stable for two people.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2007 at 03:38 PM

Diver,

What a great looking CC. What did you replace it with?

Ken
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2007 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Diver,
What a great looking CC. What did you replace it with?
Ken

Thank you. Which one ?

First a 28' Carver flybridge
then the Aquasport
then the 20' WestCoaster
now an 11' Zodiak and
a 14' Lund (my cartopping crab boat) and
looking for a new boat for Baja.

If I had a nice ramp to use, I'd love to have the Aqusport again. Without one I will probably get another 20-22' tin CC like the last one. This boat will stay in Baja, maily on the west coast.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.