BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Govt Issued Discount Card for Seniors?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Have fun children.

No, no..........I meant it.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 09:25 PM

Okay, everyone keep their pants on. Beachbum1A and bajamigo are going to go into Ensenada and see if they can get this card and what exactly it will get them. I did read somewhere you DO get a discount on airfare.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 7-21-2007 at 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
Okay, everyone keep their pants on. Beachbum1A and bajamigo are going to go into Ensenada and see if they can get this card and what exactly it will get them. I did read somewhere you DO get a discount on airfare.

Keep us posted ... Thanks CaboRon

bancoduo
Banned

lol.gif posted on 7-22-2007 at 09:46 AM
HEY BILL!

Will you be getting your "fourth age card" anytime soon.:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-22-2007 by bancoduo]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2007 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaeng
"the third age"

Interesting reference, thanks. The term has an ancient, Aztec / Mixtec feel to it.
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 7-22-2007 at 01:34 PM

I got mine in St. Rosalia in 2004.
Needed an fm2 and had to be 65 years.

I used it for 50% discount on a Bus ride TJ to Mulege.
I understand it is good for a discount on Airlines, seats available.
Water bills, some hotel bills in La Paz.
Other stuff also.

Works for me.

[Edited on 7-22-2007 by rpleger]

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 05:00 PM

Ok, here's the report. Beachbum1A and Bajamigo successfully obtained their discount cards today in Ensenada. This was, of course, after dining at Marco Antonio's for his best-ever fish tacos. Finding the office was much harder than getting the card!

The cards are issued at the INSEN office, now known as INAPAM, a division of DIF. The age requirement is at least 60 years of age. You must be a Mexican citizen or residing in the country legally. They had to present copies of their FM3s or FM2s, the page that shows your date of birth. Also required was a foto infantil (a photograph 2.5 cm high and 2 cm wide which can be made up via your own computer, and they only need one) They asked for an emergency contact in case of an accident, whether or not you worked, and your local address. It took the lovely woman all of 5 minutes to type up the application (yes, on a typewriter!) and the ID card itself. She affixed the photo to the card. They signed the application and the card. El fin.

Then we came home and researched what INAPAM was all about. Basically, it's about taking care of our senior citizens as they deserve respect and have a great deal to offer society. There are free health services (including health education), computer classes, art classes, senior centers, etc. Only problem is, most of these services are currently only available in the greater Mexico City area...a complete listing of the available services can be seen here.

http://www.inapam.gob.mx/DirecINAPAM07.pdf

It shows a 5% discount at Gigante markets amongst other things.

The benefits of the card are not much different than the benefits offered by a number of merchants in the USA to senior citizens to encourange them shopping at their stores.

[Edited on 8-14-2007 by bajabound2005]

beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 06:37 PM

Bajabound2005 is telling it like it is! Quick and painless except a trifle difficult to locate as it's in what appears to be a residential area and bajaamigo took us in the back way with the directions we had. It will be interesting to see what discounts the cards entitle us to after we've had them for awhile. Thanks guys for a nice outing today! The atune tacos were really good!

Just do it!
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 07:11 PM

Al G, you'll be similarly amazed how your particular manhood slips away when you engage in homophobic rants -- you must revere nothing, not those who struggle, not the aged, the underpriveledged. Do you suppose all those oldsters all over the world are worthless, gender suspect weaklings seeking "something for nothing"? Step off, rethink what your wrote or be thought a fool.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 07:32 PM

valuable information, thank you. I imagine there must be offices in LaPaz and CSL, does anyone know where they are ?

- CaboRon

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 07:33 PM

Osprey...........
Can't help but feel that your reference to Al's "rant" was misplaced. He wasn't referring to those in need of services put in place for the needy. He was referring to those who take advantage of a program merely because they have the years to qualify. How can that be considered irreverent?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 08:06 PM

people are not supposed to come here from the USA and be a burden on the welfare system. that is why you must show that you are financially solvent when you apply to live here. If I had a card I would be to embraced to use it .

leave that money for the poor people that relay need it

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 08:14 PM

Dennis, you gonna explain to me what other posters mean? You're gonna have a lot of work to do. All-inclusive, broad-brush, mean spirited nonsense will get attention every time on this board.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 08:15 PM

Bruce R Leech: the point of my post was that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WELFARE SYSTEM ( and please!!! don't get me started on that with the USA!!!) This is just a card (albiet issued by the Govt, something the US DOES NOT DO) for Seniors to get discounts; you have to go to the Mexican Govt to get the card to identify you as a senior to get discounts at MERCHANTS. In the USA, you'd only have to flash your Driv Lic with your DOB; but in Mex you have to have a Govt Issd ID Card! Point is, merchants participate in the "program".

Merchants that participate get the business; those that don't.... well, dont!

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Bruce R Leech: the point of my post was that it has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE WELFARE SYSTEM ( and please!!! don't get me started on that with the USA!!!) This is just a card (albiet issued by the Govt, something the US DOES NOT DO) for Seniors to get discounts; you have to go to the Mexican Govt to get the card to identify you as a senior to get discounts at MERCHANTS. In the USA, you'd only have to flash your Driv Lic with your DOB; but in Mex you have to have a Govt Issd ID Card! Point is, merchants participate in the "program".

sorry you got upset I did not mean it to be personal for you. I just couldn't pull that card out in the supermarket and use it with my basket full of stakes and expensive things when there are a lot of Mexicanos watching that cant afford anything but beans for there family's and they cant get a card. when you have lived here long enough and here the people talking about the gringos you will understand. allot of Mexicanos don't get the card for the same reasons.

lets get togather some time

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-13-2007 at 09:31 PM
????

Am I missing something????? I see this as a senior discount card available to anyone who meets the requirement. Whats the problem???? :?::?::?:
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I just couldn't pull that card out in the supermarket and use it with my basket full of stakes and expensive things when there are a lot of Mexicanos watching that cant afford anything but beans for there family's and they cant get a card. when you have lived here long enough and here the people talking about the gringos you will understand. allot of Mexicanos don't get the card for the same reasons.

I believe you're missing the point. If you think your basket full of "stakes" is going to upset somebody, it won't be the price you pay for them but instead the mere fact that you can afford them that will POSSIBLY create some resentment. Conspicuous consumption is offensive in any language, but what this has to do with a senior citizen discount, I can't fathom. If you're so wracked by guilt over feeding your family in the best way you can, pass along any savings from the card to someone less fortunate, rather than to the Gigante. And when you use the card, don't flash it; hand it discreetly to the clerk in the same way you do your money.
:light:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 05:35 AM

self sufficient and not a burden on Mexicos welfare system....oh, you mean like what the Mexicans do in our country?

If there are those Americans living in Mexico (because living in the states is next to impossible on a fixed income) in need, it ought to be available to them...Or at least to the extent that illegal Mexicans in the states are sucking up our social programs! Oh, poor Mexico, get real!

bye bye

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:

sorry you got upset I did not mean it to be personal for you. I just couldn't pull that card out in the supermarket and use it with my basket full of stakes and expensive things when there are a lot of Mexicanos watching that cant afford anything but beans for there family's and they cant get a card. when you have lived here long enough and here the people talking about the gringos you will understand. allot of Mexicanos don't get the card for the same reasons.

lets get togather some time

Mr. Leach,
I am a person who cannot afford to retire in the US.. And I certainly won't be able to afford a basket full of steaks and other expensive foods at the market.

So, for me, third age discounts at merchants are a valuable resoource .

So don't judge people until you yourself have walked in our shoes.

You are sounding like an Ugly Amerikan with your insensitive remarks.

I hope you enjoy your steak.

-CaboRon

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 8-14-2007 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
It never ceases to amaze me at the people who want something for nothing...and are willing prostitute thier manhood...how low do you really go:lol::lol::lol:

Agree and embarrassed. I know some of these folks live fairly high on the hog and they still want a freebie.

Perhaps if they were living on a thousand pecos a month I would feel differently..........but no American does...........heck even druggies and drunks get $565 an month from SSI and the checks will now be deposited in Mexico so they don't even have to return to Otra Lado once a month for the money.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.