Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Bacon wrapped Hot Dogs
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Oysters wrapped in bacon are yummy. Heck, anything wrapped in bacon is tasty if you like bacon.:lol:

Cypress,

Right you are. Even chicken livers...............

Dry chicken livers, dot with mustard, wrap 1/2 slice of bacon and with a wet tooth pick skewer it. Broil for 5 minutes turning once. Yummm
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken

Right you are. Even chicken livers...............

What's that called? Rumaki?
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 04:05 PM

Bacon wrapped hot dogs are some of my favorite street food.

In Mexicali I recommend "Oscar's" on Benito Juarez. It's just across the street (and a little south) from the UABC campus. It's a little yellow cart next to "Space Pizza". Very popular with the locals.

Oscar's is open after 3pm.. to 2am or so I think.. All you can eat french fries, and a plethora of goodies to add, melted cheese, grilled onions, chiles, etc.. etc..
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 04:11 PM

Dennis,

I think you are correct, I forgot the name. Now that you mention it, I think the Rumaki verson has a thin slice of water chestnut under the bacon.

Ken
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 04:13 PM

Yeah Ken...... I believe you're right. It's been a while but it sure is good.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 10:09 PM

The secret to a great bacon wrapped Hot Dog is:

Use "Rosarito" brand Hotdogs.

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 8-5-2007 at 11:13 PM

So whats the secret to keep the bacon tightly wrapped around the hotdog during/after cooking? Specifically the ends of the bacon.

I've tried toothpicks, but it just seems so unauthentic.

I'll have to check out the "Rosarito" brand. Is it a thin or thick dog?

I think thiner dogs work best. They tend to cook better and leave more space in the bun for goodies.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 06:32 AM

mango - i made em yesterday, used turkey franks. heres the secret, well mine anyway. and no Toooth pix needed - they just get in the way.

the turkey franks plump nicely when you fry them.
get the griddle very hot. wrap the dogs using THIN style bacon, any kind - cheap is fine.
the fat on the bacon will ahere to the dog skin. now, place the wrapped dogs onto the hot grill and cover with a pan cover, or some kind of weighted lid to hold them down in place and let sizzle 5 min or so, until the bacon on that down side cooks crisp.
then rotate 180 degrees, i.e. flip them over gingerly with a tong. now let that side get crisp - then do the opposing sides to get it all crisp.
the dog expands as it plumps and the fried crisp bacon holds it all together.

next i try em with Brots, steamed 1st to cook fully before wrap and fry em!!

i made a wasabi mayo sauce to top the dogs with Sunday, out standing...........ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 09:31 PM

Capt Mike,
"wasabi mayo sauce"?

Hot dogs only enter my household when my dear father visits and shops for his favorite comfort foods. But, I can be converted if WMS covers it. As simple as it sounds or do you have a 20 ingredient recipe?

Might try it for my next Spam party.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 09:52 PM

I've been playing around with the recipe since I tried some commercial sauce at Juan and Shari's. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Wasabi powder or paste
sesame oil
ginger powder
Honey
Lime juice
Mayo

Just experiment with the ingredients till you get it like you want.

I use the honey,mayo and lime juice to make a miracle whip style dressing, then add the other spices..wasabi last. I prefer using the paste rather than the powder.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2007 at 09:58 PM

Here we call them calientitos. Most of the time they are calientos de pavo....do not give me a turkey hot dog. I want pork wrapped in more pork..crema, diced tomatoes, mustard, catsup, onions, salsa picante. dripping down your arm...triple servietas.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 06:10 AM

Dave has it down Judy.
Actually i 1st bought it off the shelf at Albertsons, then ran out so made my own - just experimented till i got it close to better.
i generally am not a mayo fan. But Doctored up to hide some of its flavor - well this mixture is killer on bacon dogs.
add some hot relish to the wasabi mayo mix too, about as much as you would if making scratch tartar sauce for fried fish filets.

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 06:22 AM

I always thought it ironic that Mexicans make the best hot dogs. Hold the mayo though, nothing more dangerous than old, warm mayo.

Hot Italian sausage wrapped in bacon and grilled sounds good. I'll have to buy some sausage in San Diego today. Has anybody ever seen good sausage in Baja? I haven't found any in TJ yet.

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 06:55 AM

Obviously, you have never heard "Sausage Rebellion" of 1890-1917

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 8-7-2007 at 11:53 AM
hey Hipster Viejo.........

something we CAN agree on! food.....ummm
so sure EYE talian sausage ought to be really good done bacon mexi style.
ypu might want to steam them fully 1st so the grilling function later is just to cook the bacon and warm the tubes.
let us know.
i am doing it with reg brats saturday.:biggrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by oldhippie
I always thought it ironic that Mexicans make the best hot dogs. Hold the mayo though, nothing more dangerous than old, warm mayo.

Hot Italian sausage wrapped in bacon and grilled sounds good. I'll have to buy some sausage in San Diego today. Has anybody ever seen good sausage in Baja? I haven't found any in TJ yet.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 12:06 PM

Those toothpicks can deal you some serious damage if you don't know they're there.:O Chomped down on a poor boy sandwitch once and got speared.:O Major pain.:O
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Those toothpicks can deal you some serious damage if you don't know they're there.:O Chomped down on a poor boy sandwitch once and got speared.:O Major pain.:O

Yeah ..... They have to be watched out for, kinda like the olive pit at the center of tamales.
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah ..... They have to be watched out for, kinda like the olive pit at the center of tamales.

A valuable lesson to be learned here. Once at a Christmas meal, my father-in-law declared he had eaten 3 tamales and was stuffed. Little Fernanda looked at his plate and said. "No Tio Amador, you ate 6 tamales. I counted the olive pits!"

Since that meal, I always discard the pits, the picks and all other evidence about mid-meal. No proof is evident when I lie now.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 12:52 PM

BMG Tamales are in a class all by themselves, some of the best food a person can enjoy.:spingrin: Most folks can't fix a batch of tamales. :biggrin:
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2007 at 01:01 PM

My mother-in-law used to make up a few hundred tamales every Christmas. Every one of them had 1 green olive inside. We ate them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Unfortunately, neither my wife or any of her sisters ever got the recipe from her before she passed away. They all tried to make them but they've never been the same. I doubt that I will ever have a tamale as good as Estela's again. Or at least they won't be as good as my memories of her's.

I think the world is run by C- students.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.