Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: GULP
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 12:20 PM

That's a fun shot of Alex with the yellowtail sea lion - looks like that baby left the fisherman plum worn out.

And kudos to your son on each of those fishies pictured and all the others I know he caught. He seems to be growing into a fisherman of some regard.:yes:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 02:26 PM

Ah JD

You oughta know by now that there is a very special group of people on this site that just wait and lurk for an opportunity to jump on a thread like this one and either try to turn it towards their own agenda or to make something negative out of it.

Its the nature of the beast I think.

Those pics and the story of this young man were so damn nice to see and I earlier mentioned to a friend via chat that it was interesting that noone had jumped on it yet with some negative comment.

I was just a little quick in my judgement.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 07:11 PM

Larry, I have been fishing the Sea of Cortez since the mid 50's and we started doing some tagging work with billfish and discovered that a very high percentage of these fish survived. As mentioned, that survival factor went much higher when circle hooks came into being. While we have had some trouble tagging and then recatching yellowtail, I have actually caught quite a few yellowtail that did have broken off hooks in their mouth and they had been in there for quite a little while, so I suspect that the survival rate is very good on yellowtail as they do not have an air bladder and are able to go up and down in the water column with no problem.
I could not be prouder of Aliosha as we have been friends for a long time. He used to come over on my porch and we would discuss all of the fish in Gene Kira's book, "The Baja Catch" and I was even more surprised when I found out that he was 5 and could not read. At 6 he had more enthusiasm for fishing than almost anybody I have ever met and needed to be roped into the boat to keep from jumping overboard after the fish.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 09:14 PM

Jim,

Alex really wanted me to post this picture of the yellowtail ("I think this is the BIGGEST fish I have ever caught"). So I did. Some day I hope he will understand that catching the small ones is just as good.

Anyway, even prior to your post I was remembering the first time you two met. Alex was always my ambassador at all the RV parks. He always knew far more people than I ever did. When I finally met you it struck me that you were one of the most energetic people I had ever met. But I think you met your match with Alex. He followed you everywhere, talking endlessly, giving you no rest. If you were cleaning fish he stood by asking questions. If you went in your camper he stood by the door waiting for you to come out. He was 'in your face' every minute of the day. You couldn't even take your afternoon siesta without him trying to follow you. The expression on your face one day was classic. It said HELP. Heh, heh, I thought to myself, from my resting position in the camper.

Even now I smile as I remember that first encounter.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-25-2007 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Jim,

Alex really wanted me to post this picture of the yellowtail ("I think this is the BIGGEST fish I have ever caught"). So I did. Some day I hope he will understand that catching the small ones is just as good.

Anyway, even prior to your post I was remembering the first time you two met. Alex was always my ambassador at all the RV parks. He always knew far more people than I ever did. When I finally met you it struck me that you were one of the most energetic people I had ever met. But I think you met your match with Alex. He followed you everywhere, talking endlessly, giving you no rest. If you were cleaning fish he stood by asking questions. If you went in your camper he stood by the door waiting for you to come out. He was 'in your face' every minute of the day. You couldn't even take your afternoon siesta without him trying to follow you. The expression on your face one day was classic. It said HELP. Heh, heh, I thought to myself, from my resting position in the camper.

Even now I smile as I remember that first encounter.

watching the next generation blossom is worth all the hard times, no?

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob[/i

watching the next generation blossom is worth all the hard times, no?

Actually it is part of the cycle. When I was young my parents drug me to San Carlos (by Guaymas) and I used to go out and fish with some of the guys that fished for yellowtail in their small cartoppers. They always loved taking me out cause I was so full of "pee and vinegar" and they seemed to live vicariously through my energy. When Alex and I first met, I thought I could see it starting all over again. This kid was like me, standing in the front of the boat, trying to get every little bit of information about how to catch another fish, wondering why thing like tides and moon position affected the fish, comparing the action of various lures, reliving the fight and action of the fish, talking about the sights and smells, and wondering about what great adventure tomorrow would bring.
So Alex is truly blessed that he has the chance to experience all of this with his dad but the true blessing is Igor's in that he gets to experience all of this through Alex's eyes.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 08:01 AM

I wonder if that "GULP" company could make sushi? It's all bait.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 08:27 AM

Igor

I really enjoyed the pictures of Alex, your descriptions of the trip (more please!), and the positive parts of this thread. He seems like a great kid!

I have some minor input regarding the viability of catch and release. Somewhere around 1970 I was fishing from Rancho Buena Vista and caught a medium-sized striped marlin (about 100 pounds). He hit a trolled fishbait. He was on for about 40 minutes, during which time he jumped spectacularly and tailwalked 4 or 5 times. When he got to the boat we could not see the hook, but since the fight was so lively, we felt he was not gut-hooked so the line was cut. We noticed that he was tagged, and a small red plastic tube was removed by the skipper before turning him loose. He slowly drifted away, disappearing in blue water.

The tube was, interestingly, from the California Department of Fish and Game. It contained a small rolled-up form which I filled out (just name and address, date of release, location, as I recall). I gave the form to the RBV skipper and soon forgot about it.

About a year later I got a letter from the CA Department of Fish and Game saying that the fish I released was caught on a Japanese long-line off the northern island of Japan. So he not only survived the catch and release in the southern Sea of Cortez, but swam across the entire Pacific ocean to meet his fate in Japan about a year later.

So I can offer one personal first-hand experience which suggests that catch and release can be successful with billfish.

Thanks again, Igor, for your delightful and informative posts,

++Ken++

[Edited on 8-26-2007 by Ken Bondy]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 09:40 AM

Gulp, "400 times the natural scent"

Come on boys, using that stuff is like cheating , no?

If the tide is wrong, or the earth is to dry to get a bait, isn't that the natural advantage the fish should be given?? Factory made scent???
Not this angler!!:fire:!!

TT
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

thumbup.gif posted on 8-26-2007 at 10:22 AM
Memories

I have watched Alex for three years now and enjoyed each and every trip he has made with his father,an each and every time it has brought back some of my earliest memories as a very young boy during the war years,beating the brush stream fishing for eastern brook in northern wash.and Ida.

He took me on pack in trips with the guys to the clearwater river,into BC and all points in between,O the thrill of it all,and have been hooked ever since.

I tried to do the same for my kids,it was as much fun for me as it was for them,should have done more,but it must have been enough because to this day we speak of it often and laugh,remarks like "dad do you remember that big triggerfish I caught"or "how long did it me to catch that big yellowtail" 10# an I say at atleast an hour and so on.

So Igor you keep posting pics of Alex and I will keep on enjoying them.........C/R works,your friend Robin
baitcast
Super Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-26-2007 at 10:32 AM

O NO..........Not a another one:lol::lol:::rolleyes::rolleyes:
baitcast
Super Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-26-2007 at 11:29 AM

Tomas where you been? scents have been around before you were born! Is chumming cheating also?

You never chummed? you never been on a boat that chummed? and if they did, did you stop fishing in protest:lol:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 01:15 PM

just got some of the gulp worms. gonna go try them out on a beach this weekend. i'd rather be catching, not fishing so whatever gives me a leg up, well that's a benefit to being on the top of the food chain. we will most likely be CandR because we are taking all of our food with us this time and will be "catching" more to keep my wife occupied in between my paddle-outs.

prayforsurf!

edit: p.s. i got the watermelon color:?:

[Edited on 8-26-2007 by woody in ob]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 06:09 PM

Lots of different types of "GULPS" on EBAY. Now to figure out a delivery method South!
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2007 at 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Tomas where you been? scents have been around before you were born! Is chumming cheating also?

You never chummed? you never been on a boat that chummed? and if they did, did you stop fishing in protest:lol:

What does "chumming" and 400 times the natural scent have to do with each other??

And yeah ,I know the fresh water scent stuff has been around forever. I don't fish there.
Salt water scents for 41 years? really?
Never used 'em. I catch enough fish to support my family, one at a time, hook and line. No scent ( maybe my own when their really biting:biggrin:). natural bait is, well, more natural...
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 08:06 AM

Oh my God, this is as bad as the "purists" who seem to think that they are really super fishermen because they do not stoop to the lowly level of using bait to fool fish and instead outfit themselves with expensive outfits and become" Flyfishermen", who go out with feathers tied to a hook and are somehow more "holy" because they fool a fish (who has a brain the size of a peanut) into biting a piece of feather. I am proficient in most if not all types of "pescatorial pursuit" but I try not to get too involved in the ego trip of my superior fishing ability because I use one method over another on any given day. It is a personal challenge issue and it is at best pretentious to assume that there is some kind of status inherent with the method. Not too long ago we had the same kind of problem with the "holiness or lack of" with spearfishing.
Igor was sharing some basic information about something that he discovered quite by accident and I think the basic information was worthwhile and potentially valuable, even if GULP is not too esoteric.:rolleyes:
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Gulp, "400 times the natural scent"

Come on boys, using that stuff is like cheating , no?

If the tide is wrong, or the earth is to dry to get a bait, isn't that the natural advantage the fish should be given?? Factory made scent???
Not this angler!!:fire:!!

TT
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 08:38 AM

Sorry to continue off subject,,, A little piece of bait? That's nothing to get excited about. Now here is something you should sink you teeth into:

100_0164.jpg - 44kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:08 AM

Russ What species are those seine boats targeting?:(
baitcast
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2007 at 09:23 AM

Cypress.............ANYTHING

You are right Russ.........Now that is a REAL PROBLEM!!!

I am currently using Gulp smelt for stripers and yes I feel I must be cheating:lol:
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.