Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Fuel Onboard
Norm
Junior Nomad

Mood: GOOD!!!!!

[*] posted on 10-13-2007 at 07:20 AM

We had a 18" boat ,I built a alumimun gas tank , put it in the bow,held 30 gallons & we have been all over baja with this set up...Had a live well in the back + A 75 HP EVENRUDE . The boat worked good all the time with two of us, ever in big water .Got lots of nice tuna or what ever we were fishing for !!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~BUILD THAT TANK ~:light:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2007 at 08:37 AM

My preference is that my boat always has more range than I do.:lol:

I'm not familiar with your boat but is it possible to build a wide, long flat tank in the bilge area that could be covered with flooring? In this way you could distribute the weight over as large an area as possible without having to step around or over it when on a fish.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 06:46 AM

my boats built inn holds 80 gallons but i bought a 30 gallon spare from cabellos that can be moved anywere around the boat. i plumed into a threeway valve so it allso runs my kicker. good luck.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 09:12 AM

The center console is NOT a good option for a permanent tank if there is any electrical connections in there, which I expect there must be.

Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 09:15 AM

Yeah, Hook. It is usually a good idea to keep the gas and electric separated.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
bearbait1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 10:55 AM

I've decided to build a 25-30 gal stainless tank under the center console. Thanks for the warning about keeping the electrical stuff away I will keep it in mind.
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 11:12 AM

Check out the Boaters world dot com. They sell belly tanks that will probably fit the bill.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bearbait1
I've decided to build a 25-30 gal stainless tank under the center console. Thanks for the warning about keeping the electrical stuff away I will keep it in mind.

So, where will the filler be?

Personally, if the boat is expected to have trim tabs and/or an electric trim/tilt system, I'd mount it directly in front of the console. Seems like most tin boats I've been on could always use more weight up front for stabilization and a little more "presence" running into chop. There are plastic Tempos as high as 28 gallons, I believe.

A lot will depend on where the bait tank would be mounted. If in back, then definitely get the fuel tank forward of the console.

[Edited on 10-15-2007 by Hook]

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 03:18 PM

I give my vote to Hook! In that boat you need the weight forward. With rough water and a wind from the side that boat you'll have the helm into the wind all the time. The wind will push you sideways.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 03:52 PM

Hook, and Comitan. What kind of aluminum boats do you have?

bearbait1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 04:08 PM

Thanks for the comments. This boat is not a true walk around center console, it has bench seats like smaller tin boats. The center console is mounted on the middle seat. The space under the seat is filled with foam, this is where I will put the tank. The filler neck will be right next to the center console. Other midifications will have space to replace the foam that was removed to achieve the same bouancy. I want to place the tank under the seat to free up deck space, I hate a cluttered deck. I will build a 30 gal baitwell that will sit about 3 feet forward of the transom. An ice chest and 5 gal fuel can for the kicker will sit forward of the console and can be moved all the way forward if needed for better weight distribution.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 04:10 PM

Minnow

Guess what don't have one now got smart got fiberglass, but after years on Baja beaches with all makes, and you have all the time in the world you discuss boats, and if my memory is correct the 18ft Bayrunner has a high bow, and the complaints were that the boat had a tendency to fall off in a heavy wind. I think there were other complaints but I don't remember.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Minnow
Banned

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 04:44 PM

Bait. Can you post a picture of your interior layout?

Comitan. I have seen many different configurations of the interior of the 18ft bayrunners. I am sure none is perfect for all conditions.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Minnow
Hook, and Comitan. What kind of aluminum boats do you have?

Dont. Just basing this on the ones I have been on. Like I said.

Given that he has the benches, I think he's got a good idea. Easy to route a filler and the center console compartment can be completely separate from the below-bench tank.

[Edited on 10-16-2007 by Hook]

Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-15-2007 at 05:23 PM

I would be careful with a stainless tank in an aluminum boat due to the likelihood of Galvanic action, what with the presence of saltwater, etc.
bearbait1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 10:00 AM

Comitan, I have never run an 18' bayrunner but my guess is that you are right, the high bow will be suseptable to winds, that's a trade off for the light weight. I've yet to find a perfect boat.

Minnow, I don't have any pictires and right now every thing that can be removed from the boat has been taken out, center console, floor boards, seats, foam, the whole works. The floorboards were water logged, as was some of the foam. Under the floorboards I found #10 of leaves and a few small cracks, nothing major.

Roberto, thanks for bring up dissimilar metal corrosion, I hadn't thought about that. I can easily keep the tank insulated from the aluminum with UHMW plastic

I'm still debating whether I will build a T-top or use a bimini that I already have from a previous boat.

[Edited on 10-16-2007 by bearbait1]
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 12:38 PM

Bear, the UHMW plastic is a good idea. I am planning to use that or a similar product to insulate all the stainless that goes through the hull of my Bayrunner, which is mainly at the transom. I'm seeing galvanic corrosion at those spots, just as I did on the aluminum mast of my sailboat.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
AcuDoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 08:36 PM

I have a 16.5 Klamath center console 50hp 4 stroke tin boat. I mounted a 13 gal portable tank as far in the front as I could and ran a line aft. I also have a 6 gal. tank in the stern. I installed a valve so I can switch from tank to tank. The bow tank also helps offset the weight of a 13 gal bait tank in the stern as well.

Hook knows my boat well and we have both fished it many times together. The tank in the bow has never been in the way. Right behind it is a large cooler, then the center console. I think he will agree it runs very well. Also have trim tabs.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2007 at 10:06 PM

Well, Doc, it's never been in the way because we have never had to deploy the anchor. If we did, it would quickly be IN THE WAY.

The weight sure does help up there, though, but I doubt I'd consider it without trim/tilt.

Do you have tabs or just electric trim/tilt?

bearbait1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2007 at 10:33 AM

Just trim and tilt
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.