Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: TW plays BUMPER CARS in Mexicali
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2007 at 09:49 AM

Thanks everyone. I pretty much take things like this in stride and deal with them as they happen. I feel very lucky to get away from the accident as I did for $300. I certainly did not want to spend a night in jail and above all no one was hurt. The extra $150 for the cops along the border was BS and had I not wanted to get across the border quickly and it being near midnight I would have probably handled it differently. I still wonder if the first cops called the second cops to set me up.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2007 at 02:04 PM

Wow TW, what a series of events you went through. Happy to see the you made it through all of that and now you are home safe and sound!
By the way, nice camp site you had there!
Bob H
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 12-27-2007 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Thanks everyone. I pretty much take things like this in stride and deal with them as they happen. I feel very lucky to get away from the accident as I did for $300. I certainly did not want to spend a night in jail and above all no one was hurt. The extra $150 for the cops along the border was BS and had I not wanted to get across the border quickly and it being near midnight I would have probably handled it differently. I still wonder if the first cops called the second cops to set me up.

Bear with me here Tom, I'm not hijacking your thread, but I am P Od about how things are these days between our 2 countries.
Lets compare your story to one I heard today listening to Roger Hedgec-ck. He is in Iowa doing a remote show at the political conventions. The segment I was listening to was regarding illegal aliens throughout the country and their impact.
A gal was sharing her tragic story of how her mother was killed by an illegal female driver, with no license, driving her illegal brothers car who had a suspended license and no insurance on the vehicle. She T-boned the gals mom and killed her. The DA would not prosecute either of the illegals or take the car away from the brother even though he had a stack of offences against him for vehicular violations. The female perp was deported and the brother paid a total of $180 in fines.
So a bent bumper on a school bus with no other injuries or damage was worth $450 to the Mexican government and the life of one of our citizens was worth $180 to our government. :fire::mad::fire::mad::fire::mad:

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2007 at 11:34 AM

I hope you told your insurance company how fast that bus was going when it backed into you....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2007 at 05:00 PM

I saw an Allstate adjuster yesterday and he ran up over $5,000 in repairs. He's turning in his report and said they will give me some options. They could total the truck which is around $5,000 which means I give them the truck. They could offer me a figure and I keep the truck but they would no longer provide collision insurance. Not sure what other options there might be. I saw an ad in todays paper for a 1995 Toyota 4runner, V6 auto 4x4 with 74,000 miles asking $6,000 OBO. I'm taking a look at it tomorrow.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 12-28-2007 at 05:08 PM

$5,000????? that is incredible------didn't you drive it home from El Centro??? or did I miss something??
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 08:40 AM

You could get yourself another 4 Runner and also buy back the totaled rig for cheap and build it into a rock crawler or beach buggy...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 09:20 AM

Barry, yes I did drive it home. There's nothing wrong with the frame or steering. I didn't see a list of items he used to project the cost, he just said he was over $5,000 in estimated cost to repair and he asked me if I was opposed to after market parts and I said no. We joked about me bondoing the right front headlight and turn signal in and drive it on my Baja trips. In truth it needs a hood, right front fender and radiator and some cosmetic bondo. I could probably do it all for $1,500 or so with junk yard parts. The radiator is probably the most expensive. A new one at Toyota is over $600, I put one in two years ago. Before that I had a cheap after market one that lasted all of 1 year. Off road screws them up. But I'll see what their offering first. It would be a neat project. Ken and I talked on the trip about me changing out the third members so I could run taller tires and then I climb rocks like a jeep.

[Edited on 12-29-2007 by TW]
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-29-2007 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken and I talked on the trip about me changing out the third members so I could run taller tires and then I climb rocks like a jeep.

ALL PRO OFFROAD, HEMET, CA is the first place to check out. SALUDOS from Colombia!!

CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2007 at 07:14 PM

TW glad no one was hurt and your attitude deserves a big bravo ..

A lifetime ago I worked for AAA in insurance claims -
I hope this helps:
1. Photo Copy three recent newspaper clippings of comparable vehicles. Be sure to have dates viewable. Generally they will give you the average of the three .. They need to line up with current KBB and/or NADA retail pricings...
2. Ask to purchase the salvage if you agree to the total.

Peace and Happy New Year ~ Lori
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2008 at 10:09 AM

Thanks
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-1-2008 at 08:47 PM

TW---------

Just an idea-------I had a radiator shop build me a 4-row radiator for my Isuzu Trooper, and it was only about $235, and it is a super radiator------had it at least 8 years now----no problems. Many years ago I did the same thing for my ' 69 F-100 baja crawler pickup-------that radiator is still working after about 22 years.

Just a thought.

barry
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2008 at 08:17 AM

Thanks Barry that sounds like a good ideal. I went to Google and found a parts seller out of LA and added up all the stuff I would need and it totalled less than $800 excluding my bumper guard.
doradodan
Nomad

Mood: boracho

[*] posted on 1-2-2008 at 11:09 AM

sorry it happened, but your posting was great. its a wonder what $150 will get you out of.

\"The time spent off the water, I\'m thinking of ways to get back in\"
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2008 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doradodan
sorry it happened, but your posting was great. its a wonder what $150 will get you out of.
$150 was during payoff numero tres. :o

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2008 at 08:32 AM

Allstate called yesterday and the payout is $5645 if they total it and take it away. $4212 and I keep it to repair it myself or have it done and they notify CA and it will have a salvage title. I'm thinking on it. I have an 04 GMC so I may take their bigger offer and look around and deal on a new small truck. With truck sales down I could make a good deal. This one is 15 years old now.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 02:04 PM

I took the payoff offer. Allstate had me fill out a form and send it to the CA DMV. The form clearly stated it was for accidents in CA. I filled it out and even sent a picture etc. Yesterday the DMV sent it back to me and attached another form that said they were interested in accidents that happen only in CA and that I should notify the state of Mexico of the accident. I'm having trouble finding the state of Mexico so I'll just file the form etc.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 08:01 PM

:?: :?: :?: Good luck, amigo...

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-1-2008 at 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I took the payoff offer. Allstate had me fill out a form and send it to the CA DMV. The form clearly stated it was for accidents in CA. I filled it out and even sent a picture etc. Yesterday the DMV sent it back to me and attached another form that said they were interested in accidents that happen only in CA and that I should notify the state of Mexico of the accident. I'm having trouble finding the state of Mexico so I'll just file the form etc.

How did they find out?

Someone in the office see Ken's post? :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 2-2-2008 by Hook]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 08:32 AM

No, when we crossed the border, everyone gawked and said, "That Rubicon is pulling a Toyota???" :bounce:
So, it made Front Page News! in Calexico, CA!!

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.