Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Bola or San Q?
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 7-3-2008 at 09:33 AM
I had the Crab last month...........

Keri,

Glad to hear the quality is back where it once was. Miss going there, lots of memories of that place. Mostly good (the restaurant that is).

If they have the Pismo Clams they are killer.

It's back on my list, I will report back.

Thanks,

Ken
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 09:58 AM
Cielito Linda~~Crab Claws

Mrs. Miller and I had crab claws at Cielito Linda about a month ago. They were outstanding! A full kilo each, served hot off the grill with about 400 napkins .

The chips were also a cut above the norm. They were served with two salsas; a gringo mild and a Mexican hot...Mixed together at 100% Gringo and about 30% or more Mexican was just right for my born Canadian wife, but mild for me.

My wife had a Maggie--it was very strong- it was large and lasted the entire meal...a new record for her

The dinning area was loaded with Mexican families; we were the only Norte Americanos. As would be expected the bar was loaded with the usual suspects and a few local natives

In discussions with the waiter and the bartender the entire operation was sold to a Mexican national who is busy rebuiling CL and repairing it's reputation. Seems to be doing a good job.

Sad to report that Gypsy camp apparently is closed, including the Wet Buzzard Bar (WBB). It was reported that Laura and her son moved to Texas with her American husband. No more $1.00 Burritos.

After the WBB was closed some one broke in and removed much of the equipment....

And so it goes ...in Baja

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by dean miller]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 02:05 PM

they need to fix the runway.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
they need to fix the runway.

Ever consider installing pontoons?:cool:

Ken
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dean miller
Mrs. Miller and I had crab claws at Cielito Linda about a month ago. They were outstanding! A full kilo each, served hot off the grill with about 400 napkins .

The chips were also a cut above the norm. They were served with two salsas; a gringo mild and a Mexican hot...Mixed together at 100% Gringo and about 30% or more Mexican was just right for my born Canadian wife, but mild for me.

My wife had a Maggie--it was very strong- it was large and lasted the entire meal...a new record for her

The dinning area was loaded with Mexican families; we were the only Norte Americanos. As would be expected the bar was loaded with the usual suspects and a few local natives

In discussions with the waiter and the bartender the entire operation was sold to a Mexican national who is busy rebuiling CL and repairing it's reputation. Seems to be doing a good job.

Sad to report that Gypsy camp apparently is closed, including the Wet Buzzard Bar (WBB). It was reported that Laura and her son moved to Texas with her American husband. No more $1.00 Burritos.

After the WBB was closed some one broke in and removed much of the equipment....

And so it goes ...in Baja

[Edited on 7-3-2008 by dean miller]

That's major news! Laura's Breakfast Burritos were the best! My kids and I would drive to Gypsy's set up camp inside the indoor camping building (as it always rained each trip) and enjoy Laura's cooking!

I will make up a page of photos that I have...

Thanks for the report, even though a sad one. I presume Laura hitched back up with her ex?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 06:19 AM

I presume Laura hitched back up with her ex?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The report from two local transplants was that she did and they moved to some where in Texas.

I some how recall that her mother passsed away about a year or so ago, leaving her alone in SQ.

dm
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-5-2008 at 08:37 AM

Thanks Dean... I am anxious to hear from 'Porky Pig' (Dave & Juanita) who owns the land and built Gypsy's and the Wet Buzzard when they decided to sell off the Motel and restuarant at Cielito Lindo back in 2001.

Laura & Gene have a daughter...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Porky Pig
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 06:46 AM
Laura

Laura has moved to Yuma to be with significant other Gene. She has daughter Jennifer and son Rogelio with her. She returned to San Quintin this week to spend some time with her sister who has a new baby. Gypsys is now leased to an oyster and clam farming company. All their clams and oysters go to New York.
Quiet 4th of July here
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 07:01 AM

hey Dave and Juanita - thx for checking in. there is a lot of buzz over at the bush pilots about the CL strip being in very poor condition and taxiing to the tiedowns virtually unable for low winged planes. is there no one maintaining these days??

added - also i was last in july 2006 and it was very much un useable then but haven't been back based on reports.

[Edited on 7-6-2008 by capt. mike]

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2008 at 08:50 PM

Uh-oh !!

Did you see this post on Allcoast about fishing San Quintin last week ??

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Uh-oh !!

Did you see this post on Allcoast about fishing San Quintin last week ??

http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...

Nice report! That's the one I've been waiting for.
Okay, I 'm back from Bola.
Weather was great, not too hot, not much wind.
I caught 5 yellowtail and 2 nice big cabrilla. 1 yellow was 20lbs and 1 cabrilla was 20Lbs.
I could have piled on another 5 or so 15lb yellows but I wanted to fish with bait so I missed a little of the early jig bite. No matter. I wanted a larger size fish and did get one and lost 1 grande when the hook pulled. Probably had the drag too tight.
I'm glad I got the one more trip at Bola. Now I'm ready for SQ!

Slow trolling live bait over a reef at Bola for large cabrilla was a lot of fun. They hit like a ton of bricks but are hard to hook. They don't swallow the bait right away so it's easy to pull it out of there mouth. That's why I only got 2. The small one was about 15lb.

When I passed by SQ it was a little cool and foggy. Plus the town was full of people from the holiday. Better in a few weeks I think.

Man am I tired!

[Edited on 7-7-2008 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 11:31 AM

fishbuck, Thanks for the fishing report.:)Good to hear that some fish have escaped the gill nets and seine boats to be caught by hook and line.:)
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2008 at 02:49 PM

when the WX cools i'll meet you at PSFO. about oct will be good.

the BBP had a few planes go on the BAM trip this week.
a nite at Lorenzo's, a nite at Meling's and an over the top it off nite at Serenidad.
trip report at BBP if you're a member with access.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.