Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Beer and Fishing
Klondike_Kid
Junior Nomad

Mood: Preparing for Eventuality

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 12:25 AM

I can't recall ever having alcohol on my saltwater boat. 99% of the time the seas get too lumpy before the day is over and when its finally time to pull anchor the horizon is sometimes disappearing in the troughs. By this time my "crew" is so green around the gills that the less they have in their stomaches the better off everyone is. I start to worry about them going head first thru the canvas shell opening when dumping their cookies as I'm trying to quarter four to six footers. Once their tanks are empty they pretty much sit still for the rest of the ride back to the harbor. Just something about that 2 stroke engine exhaust, 4 foot seas and pulling the anchor off the transom by hand from 160 feet down that makes them sensitive. Haven't figured that one out yet. :biggrin:

One thing you can\'t recycle is wasted time~!
The pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime~!
My Home TURF http://www.AlaskaOutdoorJournal.com/
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 10:11 AM

Klondike Kid.
Isn't fishing fun.:?:
Remember a time I went out of Monterey with a troop of Orientals on board. Most all of them were sick before we got out of the bay. Made for a fun outing.:no::no::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 10:33 AM

Always have plenty of beer onboard.:bounce:If the fish aren't biting it'll give you something to do and take your mind off the expense of a "water haul".:)
Klondike_Kid
Junior Nomad

Mood: Preparing for Eventuality

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 11:09 AM

Around the saltwater fleet in Alaska, with so many land lubber tourists fishing that haven't been out in more than a canoe or inner tube, you could say Alaska is the testing grounds for every kind of gimmick and invention to prevent sea sickness. I've seen wrist bands, arm bands, ear patches, pills, seltzer water, eating food, don't eat food, eat certain foods and not others, and the list goes on. Fortunately many of these things have not worked and the halibut charters have not had any shortage of chum for a scent line while on anchor. As my brother put it many years ago while fishing a salmon trolling charter with my dad out of SF Bay to the Farallons, "half the boat was too sick to fish, the other half had it down pat....Puke & Reel~!" :lol: There is some BIG ocean out there in that area.

One thing you can\'t recycle is wasted time~!
The pursuit of happiness is the chase of a lifetime~!
My Home TURF http://www.AlaskaOutdoorJournal.com/
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 11:45 AM

Was fishing with a world class talker once. He would puke, wipe his mouth, then pick up the sentence right where he was before the puking episode.:O
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 12:01 PM

Reminds me of a fishing trip many years ago with a friend who was so proud that he was one of the few who hadn't puked on that particularly rough day at sea.

I grabbed an anchovie out of the bait tank and swallowed it whole in front of him. He was able to hold it back until I described how I could feel it wiggling in my esophagus, all the way going down.

He and a couple of others were bent over the rail. I still enjoy giving him a hard time about that one...
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 12:07 PM

BajaGringo,:OThat would be enough to make a possum puke.:tumble:
BajaKeela
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 12:09 PM

Baja Gringo...I laughed so hard I cried..You made my day..BIGTIME
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 12:13 PM

I know. That was back in the day when I was young and stupid. Today I am just old and stupid. I still chase an anchovie down with a beer every fishing trip.

Some habits are just hard to break...

:D

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 01:43 PM

How to prevent Sea Sickness!

As you start to feel "whoozy" eat several Saltine Crackers while eating 1/2 of a Grapefruit>.
Short Story: On my Departure from Treasure Island aboard a Ship loaded with 1500 Airman headed for Korea, and old Salt told me of the above remedy for Sea Sickness, which I tried and it Worked for all these years even after drinking 5 or 6 beers after catching a boatload of Yellow Tail or Dorado.

Skeet/Loreto
Tin=Can
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 05:41 PM

So there was one trip where Bill, Fred and myself launched the boat at 5:30 am at Shelter Island. One case of beer in the cooler and took off for La Jolla Kelp beds and no fish...back to Point Loma and ran out of beer at 8:30am. Went over to Anthony's Fish Grotto on the bay and climbed up a Tuna Sainer and went across the street to the liquor store and got another case of beer. This sort of trip went on all day, back and forth to the liquor store..and never got outside of the bay again...pulled the boat out of the water and 8:30pm. I'll never forget the image of Fred on the last beer run doing donuts in the boat in front of Anthony's Fish Grotto...screaming at some chick " You don't love me anymore!"...Never caught fish all day.
But drinking was a lot of fun. Good Times! Good Times!
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 7-4-2008 at 09:50 PM

The Rule to our fishing days have been: Launch the boat at first light of morning.Have the sammys made the nite before(preferably YT with avo and cheese), load the cooler with ice and beer.Make bait, and no one gets a beer before the first fish is landed!Thats my story(some of it) and I'm stickin to it.:bounce:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.