BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Yellowtail everywhere in Asuncion!Traditional Fiestas Begin!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 02:47 PM

Here we Go!!!!!!!!!!!:o:o:o:o

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 03:09 PM

Bajaboy, You're right! I'm not qualified to talk about medical matters. :(My expertise? Fishing? Yea ! I can tell you a story or two. :biggrin:How 'bout going out in the morning and catching 1,500 lbs. of fish(red snapper) before noon. Hook and line, in over 100 ' of water, crew of three, those 4/0 Penns would smoke.:biggrin: Your arms would hurt! Now, under the current laws and regulations you can keep 4 fish that fit within some sort of size limit.:tumble:Expertise? Naugh!:tumble:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Bajaboy, Personal attack? I don't even know Skeet, for what it's worth, he's got lot's of stories and knowlege about way back when.:D That's a good thing.:D He ought to write a book.:D But I do know something about fisheries.:) His concept of fisheries is wrong, dead wrong and to patronize him is doing a disservice to everybody involved.:(

Well said!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 05:08 PM

Excellent-I'm all ears. And I do agree with much of what you say. Just hate to see people attacking one another...myself included. Please continue to inform....

Zac

Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-16-2008 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Bajaboy, Personal attack? I don't even know Skeet, for what it's worth, he's got lot's of stories and knowlege about way back when.:D That's a good thing.:D He ought to write a book.:D But I do know something about fisheries.:) His concept of fisheries is wrong, dead wrong and to patronize him is doing a disservice to everybody involved.:(

Right on Cypress. I could not agree more.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
"The Sea of Cortez is Ruined"..THAT IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE!!!!
So Cardon Man"Prove me Dead Wrong!!!!
~~~~~~
:?:I too saw the fisheries in '68 in the SOC. It is a fact that my memory is something very flawed.But there has been a huge decline in the numbers of resident fishes. I've been here nearly full time the last 15 years. I would love to "prove" you wrong but it is not possible. Our best professionals, scientist or those that claim to Know the condition of any fishery have been consistently wrong. Your example;
"Yes in some Fisheries, they have been completely lost, such as the "True Cod" in the Bay at Seattle. Yes there has been a slow down and some Loss on the Columbia River."
I lived in Kitsap county WA. from '80 to '92 and watched those two examples take place. And before that I lived in Laguna Beach and lived through the decline of So. Cal. fisheries while the experts "protected" the resources.
I'm certainly not a trained professional in fisheries management (Is that an oxymarooon?). And I'm not saying, "The Sea of Cortez is Ruined". BUT, I am saying that the Sea of Cortez fisheries has seen a MAJOR decline in just the 10 or so years I've lived here full time. Proof, not likely, but opinions of the pongeros and my observations. Skeet, I'm glad your opinion/observations are so rosy. I literally pray you're right and I'm wrong. Since "we" are a kinder and gentler Nomad today I'll just say you are a jewel.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 07:59 AM

Alright all you thread jackers quit messing up Shari's thread!

Anyway, I was thinking of why B. Asuncion is so special. When I fished there with Juan. I caught my yellowtail and a bunch of other fish less than a mile from the beach. We only fished for a couple of hours and had a pile of fish in the boat.
I've caught yellowtail in alot of different places and it usually requires a long boat ride. That plus we were the only boat on the water.
That was the most pure, best feeling fishing day I have ever had.
Top that off with a sushi fest at Juan and Shari's and it's pure magic.
And Fishbuck Adventures still has seats available for a private flight down there on Sept 13-15. About a 3.5 hour flight and share expense estimate is about $250 each.
I think it's about a 10+ hour drive from the border. Flying is so much more relaxing. And way funner!:yes:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 09:04 AM

Shari, great pics. Have fun with the Fiestas. Wish I could be there. YT -- ummmm!

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 09:36 AM

Well, I dont know squat about the state of the fishery here or in the gulf....but I don't feel that 8 fish between 2 or 3 fishers is too much...people that have been very nice to us get their kindness repaid finally with a lovely fresh yellowtail that will feed their whole family.
I was happy to give a fish to a wonderful woman with a huge family who always feeds me when I go to her place just to ask a question or favor, and felt great to gift a nice fish to the police chief too.
We are fortunate here not to have to go far to get into fish and enjoy sharing good times and good food with our friends.

And now, the latest update from the tournament...Barb just called us on the cell from the secret spot and told us Juan caught a BIG fish...over 30 pounds that we hope is a winner!!!
Todays fish feeds the town!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 10:01 AM

Keep the pics coming Shari!

For those who are interested in the issue of how Shari and Juan use the fish that they catch, I watched them share fish with their community and serve it to their friends. I saw no waste nor over fishing. These people love their community and husband their resources very carefully. This is not true in all fishing communities in the Baja, nor on the mainland for that matter. This community and it's Cooperative are doing a great job in protecting it's vital resource. This is not true in all ports in Baja, nor on the ports on the mainland.

As to the Skeets inflamatory comments and put downs to those who are interested in protecting our enviornment, He errs when he alludes to there not being a problem in the Pacific Northwest with Salmon. The Sacramento River run was so low that the ENTIRE Pacific Coast was closed to Salmon fishing to protect this fragile run that along with many subspecies of Salmon on the Columbia and it's tributaries either are at risk for or have become extinct. The sort of polemic that he uses is inflamatory and elicits this sort of rebuttle. We live in an era of diminishing resources and anyone who does not realize this simply has their head in the sand!

Iflyfish
Porky Pig
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 10:30 AM
fishing tourney

Shari, will you be posting the tournament results, pictures? Here on Nomads or on your website? We have about half a dozen Cielito Lindo residents fishing down there and are interested in seeing if they are the great fishermen they claim to be.
Thanks, Dave & Juanita
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 10:36 AM

Skeeter... your argument in favor of thriving fish populations in the Sea Of Cortez flies in the face of the observations of every old timer I know. I have a number of friends who began commercial fishing the 'Cortez back in the 1950's long before even you arrived on the scene. To a man, they lament the massive changes in the fishery and great decline in many of the species. Sure, you can still catch a glimpse here and there of former glory. Thankfully, there are still some fantastic fishing opportunities in the 'Cortez if you know how/where to find them. But you stand alone if you believe the fishery is anything like it was "back in the day".
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 10:44 AM

Hola Porky...yes, I met 3 of your compañeros yesterday at the registration party..they are LOVIN it here and have been having a splendid experience... I will be going down to the Tournament beer tent soon to watch the boats come in and wait with baited breath to see who wins the big prize! I will be posting photos and results asap.

rbwrivers
Junior Nomad

Mood: dreaming of Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 11:09 AM

Can't wait for results and pics! Go Juan!!!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Well, I dont know squat about the state of the fishery here or in the gulf....but I don't feel that 8 fish between 2 or 3 fishers is too much...people that have been very nice to us get their kindness repaid finally with a lovely fresh yellowtail that will feed their whole family.
I was happy to give a fish to a wonderful woman with a huge family who always feeds me when I go to her place just to ask a question or favor, and felt great to gift a nice fish to the police chief too.
We are fortunate here not to have to go far to get into fish and enjoy sharing good times and good food with our friends.

And now, the latest update from the tournament...Barb just called us on the cell from the secret spot and told us Juan caught a BIG fish...over 30 pounds that we hope is a winner!!!
Todays fish feeds the town!

We don't fish and yesterday John cooked and we enjoyed a nice baked yellowtail----wonder where we got it. :lol::lol:

We were surprised to see more gringos this year--took a few very early morning pix of some of the boats going out. Will post some later. --- Shari, I am sure will post the winning fish---right now she is probably meditating with visions of Juan with the winning fish. :lol:

Has been a fun fiesta week.

Diane

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 11:28 AM

Shari, Catching a few fish and sharing them with friends, it doesn't get any better than that.:D Your community has a lot at stake in conserving and preserving their wonderful resources.:D Beware of the gill netters, the long liners, and the night divers.:)The Sea of Cortez is like the canary in the cage, the Pacific Ocean is big, but coastal zones aren't. Good luck with the tournament, they call 'em "Fishing Rodeos" in some areas.:D
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 12:01 PM

Cypress,

You must never have been to Asuncion.
The coops have look-outs all up and down the beach, day and night, checking for illegal fishing.
These guys are serious about guarding, protecting and enhancing their fishing territory.
Although some depletion of the resident fish population is probably inevitable, the majority of fish caught are migrating species that are chasing migrating bait.

After a few days of no catching for me, I was thrilled when Juan offered us a nice YT for dinner !
Thank goodness there are better fishermen around than me !!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 12:47 PM

Diver, You're right about my having not been to Asuncion, my loss.:yes: Wish 'em all the luck in the world in maintaining their community.:yes: Coast watchers 24/7. That's a major commitment. ;) Curious. ;)If they see illegal fishing activities who do they call? What is the response?:?:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 03:08 PM

Shjari: I am sorry that I started a problem with this thread.
Sometimes us Old Timers cannot keep their Temper when so much False Information is being Spread.

Good Luck and God Bless you and your Family and Friends

Skeet/Loreto
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2008 at 05:13 PM

FYI...both fishing coops here have vigilancia...a patrol both by sea and land 24/7 which comes out of the fishermen's paychecks...but they realize the value of this as poaching has been a big problem in the past. The governor today promised more help in this area with motors and vehicles. When a poacher is caught, the marines are called to assist (they are from a local base here) to arrest at gunpoint and take the perps to jail). It is very effective.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.