Author: Subject: Finger Lickin' Good
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by djh
Yup...

I'll bet Wooooooosh and Santiago are a couple of those alternative-lifestyle-type Chickatarians...!

:smug:

nope- I just lived in the south for a few years. Catfish, po-boys, hush-puppies, crawdads, pulled pork, bbq (wet or dry)-bring it ALL on. I can't believe sweet tea and cornbread missed my llist- yum.

But if someone is touting southern food as authentic- they'd better do the menu right.

There's a great cookbook called "some like it south" that the women's junior league of Memphis puts out every year. Full of recipes passed down from black cook/slave/houskeeper to theirs daughters andthen to the white folk. Fried chiciken originated in Africa/carribean and was brought to the southern US by slaves. yum.

[Edited on 1-28-2009 by Woooosh]

[Edited on 1-28-2009 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Does anyone else see some irony in one of the best cooks in Loreto frying chicken?

I don't see any irony.:biggrin:
ckiefer
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2009 at 03:25 PM

I'm a biscuits and gravy baby, born a southern belle, so I know good southern food! Don't forget the jalapeno, though! And how about the fried okra? Ya'll are making me hungry! :yes:
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 03:18 PM

a friend and I decided to check out the place yesterday. noon and restaurant empty. okay, early for lunch I guess. ordered six pieces to eat there. six pieces turned out to be three legs and three thighs. after peeling off the hard and almost inedible crust, the best I can saw was chicken itself was hot and thoroughly cooked. a disappointment as the crust LOOKED good. the coleslaw was excellent, the potatoes lukewarm and, well, masked potatoes. hard to mess those up anywhere. was not impressed, may try it again to see if yesterday was a fluke/bad day.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 01:18 PM

Many thumbs UP!

I hate the other chicken places in town and when we order at the other places usually I don't eat it must be an acquired taste but this place is different.

I must have hit it on a good day and did all take out. Service was very quick as well and we were all hungry and impatient too. The chicken is excellent here and I'm looking forward to my next meal! Only leg/thigh pieces are available and the batter is definitely edible at least it was for us. Mashed potatoes with gravy were very good as was the cole slaw. We also ordered papas locos which are slices of potato batter dipped and deep fried with chili sprinkled on top. My only complaint was that they put those potatoes in a styro container and when I got to my destination they were a bit soggy. Next time I'm in there I'll explain this to her and suggest she just use brown paper bags instead.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 01:38 PM

Was born and raised down in Dixieland. No doubt about it, the best food in the USA is to be found there. It's mostly all about being fried, BBQ'ed, gumbo, corn bread, or fresh veggies. :bounce:
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 05:51 PM

Just got back from My first trip to "El Pollo Loco", all I can say about it is "Closed Monday". sigh
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 5-11-2009 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Don: before we can take this seriously we're gonna have to know if you know what good fried chicken is:
1. Where did you grow up?
2. What did you eat after church on Sunday afternoons?
3. How was the gravy made?
4. Who prepared the chicken and the gravy?
5. Did you have apple pie for dessert and if so, was is tart or sweet?

Your answers will either confirm your review or expose you as a fraud - I'm sure TW will agree.

1) North Carolina
2) Fried Chicken, of course.
3) After the chicken was fried and most of the excess grease was poured off, the chopped giblets and flour were added to the skillet and this was stirred over low flame until brown. (maybe a little milk added)
4) Aunt Stella, my grandmother's sister. She never used recipes (and sadly never left any). Whenever she had mail or anything that needed reading, she would grab one of us kids, saying she couldn't find her glasses (which were in her apron pocket). But, jeezus could she cook! I have never encountered fried chicken anywhere in the world that could compare with hers; thin, light, crisp crust, MOIST meat- never over or under cooked. I've tried unsuccessfully to re-create it. I do recall some of her secrets; she would soak the chicken overnight in milk or buttermilk. It's getting more difficult to find the next important "implement", a brown paper grocery bag. Aunt Stella would never think of dipping the chicken in a thick gooey batter. No, flour and maybe some secret seasoning went in the bag, then the chicken. This was then "shaken; not stirred". Then the chicken was set aside for "a while" while the big cast iron skillet heated up the lard. The bag was later spread on a tray to drain the chicken as it was done. (try that with a plastic bag) She never used a thermometer or timer but unerringly knew just how hot and just how long. Of course we always had mashed potatoes as well as collard greens and corn bread.
5) Peach Cobbler with hand cranked homemade ice cream (we'uns did the cranking)

Sweet iced tea: Why is it that only in the South do they understand that if you want your iced tea sweet, you have to put the sugar in when it's hot, before it cools down and you add the ice? Everywhere else in the country they serve it unsweetened, full of ice and ignore you while you pour sugar in and watch it sink directly to the bottom undissolved.

Far from Aunt Stella's wonderful pollo, in Californika 30 years ago, when Harlan Sanders was still alive and in charge, I actually found KFC edible and importantly, cheap. Then "they" bought him out and promptly fooked it up. I could tell the difference and so could Harlan and he said so in public. Then "they" sued him to STFU. Today, that crap is overcooked, overpriced, dried out and tateless. The only time I will set foot in a KFC is to use the restroom and leave without buying anything.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2009 at 05:21 AM

Heh - I forgot about this thread. Oso: I will over look the substitution of cobbler for apple pie and you must admit that N.C. is a tad too far north but hey, I'm being picky. You are so approved as an 'fried chicken place reviewer".
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.