Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Baja California in San Diego
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:44 PM

I would guess that this event has been in the planning stages for quite some time, judging from the reference to the "most rapidly growing destination in tourism and real estate in Mexico." Either that or somebody is taking disingenuousness to new levels.
Oh well....I hope the food's good and the wind doesn't blow.

Nobody will tell us what Baja/Med Cuisine is? Somebody must know something.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 01:52 PM

Baja/Med Cuisine doesn't have anything to do with eating Turtle, does it?
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:02 PM

Gypsy Jan did a "Baja Med" post on Chowhound last year....

Here is what they ate:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

- Clam shots - fresh, raw clams in a bright, citrus marinade with a touch of vodka
- Oysters and spinach in a cream sauce, roasted in the shell on rock salt
- Roasted duck tacos, in house made, grill roasted flour tortilla shells stuffed with field greens.
- Marlin fish tacos, cooked with cheese, onion and sweet red pepper in the same grilled flour tortillas.

Then, two perfectly grilled rib eye steaks that could be cut with the side of a fork were delivered, with crisp, fresh sautéed string beans and French fries

One dessert, a house made guava/apple pie with vanilla ice cream and a beautiful looking and tasting green drizzle, the name of which I don’t remember, because, by then, I was in a food coma

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So...I am still not sure exactly what Baja Med is, but I would eat pretty much all of that stuff!

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:16 PM

I'm sure the event will be well attended... by all the stranded cruise ship passengers in San Diego who were supposed to be in Mexican ports of call. Maybe they won't even notice they aren't in Mexico! nah...

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:17 PM

I don't think there is a particular dish that is Baja Med or that one dish is what Baja Med is. Baja of course is for Baja California and Med is for diferent reasons, one beeing the mediterrnean climate we have, second the wines and third the ingredients or spices used to complement traditional Baja California or Mexican foods. I'm not certain but I also believe it was here in Tijuana that it started, La Querencia maybe?
Now serving traditional mexican or Baja California dishes with mediterranean type of seasonings or methods of cooking and not beeing able to distinguish an accentuated flavor of either would be Baja Med cuisine.
I'm hoping I did not confuse you more :saint:

Were is our resident expert JESSE when we need him?

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

What is Baja-Med cuisine?

Does anybody know.......or has heard of this? Sounds like a shared signature style. Very confusing.

Dennis,

Surely you have heard of Fusion Cuisine? Merging styles of preparation of various cuisines.

For example take a Bacon Wrapped Hotdog and put it in a tortilla. Call it "Mexican Americana". I won't even mention Tex-Mex!:spingrin::tumble::spingrin:

Ken
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I don't think there is a particular dish that is Baja Med or what Baja Med is. Baja of course is for Baja California and Med is for diferent reasons, one beeing the mediterrnean climate we have, second the wines and third the ingredients or spices used to complement traditional Baja California or Mexican foods. I'm not certain but I also believe it was here in Tijuana that it started, La Querencia maybe?
Now serving traditional mexican or Baja California dishes with mediterranean type of seasonings or methods of cooking and not beeing able to distinguish an accentuated flavor of either would be Baja Med cuisine.

Baja-Med is probably just another typo like "trough." I've run 176 restaurants all over the USA and never heard that one before. Could be the creative use of the similar latitude and inland climate as the Mediterranean or use of healthy olive oils and seafoods, but more likely just a "Baja-Mex" typo like the "trough" one.

I think getting people to come to eat in Baja while at the same time inventing a new style of food prepartation for their arrival is a stretch for sure.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I don't think there is a particular dish that is Baja Med or what Baja Med is. Baja of course is for Baja California and Med is for diferent reasons, one beeing the mediterrnean climate we have, second the wines and third the ingredients or spices used to complement traditional Baja California or Mexican foods. I'm not certain but I also believe it was here in Tijuana that it started, La Querencia maybe?

Baja-Med is probably just another typo like "trough." I've run 176 restaurants all over the USA and never heard that one before. Could be the creative use of the similar latitude and inland climate as the Mediterranean or use of healthy olive oils and seafoods, but more likely just a "Baja-Mex" typo like the "trough" one.

I think getting people to come to eat in Baja while at the same time inventing a new style of food prepartation for their arrival is a stretch for sure.

Woooosh,

There not inventing the style. It's been around for years. I would hope you know of Villa Saverios in TJ, which serves food of that style.

They also have a restaurant in Bonita called "Romesco's-A Baja Med Bistro" which is an excellent restaurant.

Get out more! Enjoy yourself.

Ken
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
So...I am still not sure exactly what Baja Med is, but I would eat pretty much all of that stuff!

Yeah, Geoff....Most of that sounds really good....except the clammy things. They need to be cooked.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:40 PM

Dennis

The Gringo Gazette South has an article,( The term Baja Med is more like a movement. Local growers,vintners,and chefs are all sharing a new idea, CNN, Gourmet Magazine and the New York Times have talked about and acquired the taste.) In short its about using all the fresh produce, seafoad and wines, olive oils and fresh spices.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
For example take a Bacon Wrapped Hotdog and put it in a tortilla.

Or, Carnitas in a hot dog bun. OK I'm starting to get it now. I'm also starting to have cravings for Carnitas.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
The term Baja Med is more like a movement.

Oh lord, Wiley. I never figuered regularity would enter into it.
Thanks for the explaination.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:48 PM

I second that notion Dennis. I think they should serve carnitas in hot dog buns at Padres games.

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
For example take a Bacon Wrapped Hotdog and put it in a tortilla.

Or, Carnitas in a hot dog bun. OK I'm starting to get it now. I'm also starting to have cravings for Carnitas.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:57 PM

Fortunately, we live in Baja and get to enjoy the food and wines of Baja every day!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:58 PM

WHERE'S THE BACON??????????
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 02:59 PM

no bacon = major problem

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 03:01 PM

Not only is there no bacon on that dog, it's questionable whether the new and improved Craig's List would even post that picture. :lol::lol:
Woooosh
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Dennis

The Gringo Gazette South has an article,( The term Baja Med is more like a movement. Local growers,vintners,and chefs are all sharing a new idea, CNN, Gourmet Magazine and the New York Times have talked about and acquired the taste.) In short its about using all the fresh produce, seafoad and wines, olive oils and fresh spices.

Hmmm. So "Baja-Med" is just Mediterranean food when served in Baja? The Mediterranean produce and seafood is more varied, intense and exceptional in quality- so maybe Baja-Med is the "light-version" ?. Makes perfect mexisense to me now... :lol:

No, sadly I don't go out in TJ at night to dine. I can't relax inside not knowing if my car is OK in the lot or if my family house is OK in Rosarito. We are still on "high alert" here. I don't even go to the movies in Rosarito because the chances of our car being there when you come out are limited. I suppose both situations are easily solved by taking cabs though...

I do dine out a lot in Vegas although I have great love and respect for the caesar salad :) I learned how to prepare one properly from a Mexican chef decades ago and I still make a mean one. The Caesar Salad is one of the few things I never ding Mexico for- even when the raw egg people pile on (a proper caesar dressing is made with a coddled, not raw, egg).

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2009 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

I don't even go to the movies in Rosarito because the chances of our car being there when you come out are limited. I suppose both situations are easily solved by taking cabs though...

Why don't you get a POS beater? One that no self-respecting thief would steal. Search.... Pizza Insurance.... here on Nomad.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.