Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Pacific Side Sea Kayaking
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2009 at 12:31 PM

Google Earth is my favorite... As far as trip leg planing your right on, and I will usually increase daily mileage to make sheltered landings. However, with the way things go, I try to lay out alternate landing sites because of weather, fatigue, and the unknown changes that happen while in route. Because of the "x" factor I've been caught off guard in relation to landing on beaches that I figured would have been sheltered. Nothings worse than getting banged up in a surf landing to later realize that the swell has changed direction and is causing the huge sets to form on what was supposed to be nice easy day.:O
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 12:02 AM

Google Earth images show pretty heavy population from the boarder to La Bufadora. Majority of it looks like resorts and commercial properties. Whats protocol for landing? I know state side there are standards in reference to the high water mark. I do plan on staying in hotels when possible, and have considered that I may have too in the busy sections.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 12:13 AM

howdy again. another book for research might be "the baja catch" by gene kira and neil kelly. it is all about small boating and fishing around baja and might fill in some blanks for you...they used boats smaller than your kayak I believe. I also thought of the tuna pens north of ensenada...maybe kayakers go near them all the time and it is no big whoop but I always had this bad feeling it is best to give them a wide berth in case the tuna policia are feeling their oats.
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
howdy again. another book for research might be "the baja catch" by gene kira and neil kelly. it is all about small boating and fishing around baja and might fill in some blanks for you...they used boats smaller than your kayak I believe. I also thought of the tuna pens north of ensenada...maybe kayakers go near them all the time and it is no big whoop but I always had this bad feeling it is best to give them a wide berth in case the tuna policia are feeling their oats.

WoW! The book retails for $137.00, found it used for $40. I may have to suck it up, it looks good.

thanks,

Jerry
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown

As I was, found a used copy for $14.00, it's on the way. Thank you again.

Jerry
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2009 at 08:48 AM

"Google Earth images show pretty heavy population from the boarder to La Bufadora. Majority of it looks like resorts and commercial properties. Whats protocol for landing? I know state side there are standards in reference to the high water mark. I do plan on staying in hotels when possible, and have considered that I may have too in the busy sections."

No protocol, no standards. Landing in these populated places would be no problem in most cases. If you're around a larger town, you'll have to arrange some place to keep your yak and gear safe while you're in a hotel. There are a few RV parks on the beach too where you can spend the night and you won't have to leave the beach. Or ask a nearby restaurant owner if you can leave your stuff there while you go elsewhere to a hotel. You should be past this area in 3 days max. Then, past Ensenada, the towns are very small, and not even near the beach, so you won't encounter that problem. In any event, there is usually someone around in a truck or fisherman in a boat who will be happy to accommodate you in any way. I would suggest you take a lot of $5 bills for these folks who will be helping you out with water, a lift into town, watching your stuff, letting you camp on their property, etc.
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 01:13 AM

Sorry in advance for the questions that come to mind...

What are the night time temperature ranges? Have to figure out what I'll be sleeping in.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 01:52 AM

Mid-June it will still be a bit cool at or near San Diego.
I'm in Newport Beach, Ca and it's a bit cool for sleeping on the beach in a sleepng bag now.
I'm glad I'm in my little apartment. I have the window cracked but might close it. And turn on a little heat.
The later in summer the better. Plus you are going south.
But expect damp and cool the whole way. Until it might be hot at night near Cabo.

Hay yak, maybe you could make a little tour out of this. You know, people could meet you along the way for each leg and paddle along with you. And some support vehicles to bring supplies and shuttle people.
I have owned two speed ski kayaks that I have used in the Ocean. I'll do part of it. The warm part where the fishing is good. I'm trolling a lure for sure!

[Edited on 5-30-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Mid-June it will still be a bit cool at or near San Diego.
I'm in Newport Beach, Ca and it's a bit cool for sleeping on the beach in a sleepng bag now.
I'm glad I'm in my little apartment. I have the window cracked but might close it. And turn on a little heat.
The later in summer the better. Plus you are going south.
But expect damp and cool the whole way. Until it might be hot at night near Cabo.

Hay yak, maybe you could make a little tour out of this. You know, people could meet you along the way for each leg and paddle along with you. And some support vehicles to bring supplies and shuttle people.
I have owned two speed ski kayaks that I have used in the Ocean. I'll do part of it. The warm part where the fishing is good. I'm trolling a lure for sure!

[Edited on 5-30-2009 by fishbuck]

Anytime anywhere, I would love the company. Spending weeks on my own starts to do things to my mind.:?:
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 07:57 AM

Prior to leaving I'll send messages to confirm that I'm stepping off, while in route I'll be using a SPOT satellite message trafficker for people to follow my progress via the web. Anyone familiar with satellite phones? It would be nice, but not sure on the cost.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-30-2009 at 09:03 AM

http://www.satellitephonestore.com/iridium/iridium-satellite...

seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 05:59 PM

Been reading about Sat phones and rates, and the question becomes; is it necessary? Previous trips I checked in with a SPOT unit and managed to call when I could. However, a phone while south of boarder would be nice for safety reasons. Anyone with experience on the matter?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 06:13 PM

i think i read that incoming calls are free????? but for emergencies out in the midst of nowhere, i'd splurge and spend some $ for added comfort and sleeping easy. you just need to keep it dry. once you leave san quintin you are far from a phone if you need one.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-1-2009 at 07:02 PM

I did a similar adventure about 20 or so years ago on a Hobie 16 along with 6 other 16's. We cut our trip short at Bahia Asuncion because of lack of winds and getting really tired. We had a chase crew following us on trucks and kept in touch with VHF.
When we told the US Coast Guard what we were doing, we were told "we did not hear that".
A couple of years later we did the same thing from San Felipe to Mulege.
Each time we were on the boats for about 12 days.
Better than jeeping (sorry Ken).
I was going to suggest Abraham Levy but several of you beat me to it. I now own a couple of Hobie Adventure Islands, one set up for fishing.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 10:26 AM

No, a sat phone is not necessary. Look at the map. You will be landing on beaches between El Rosario and Guerrero Negro; roads to some of these places do not exist; and Hwy. 1 is inland. Who are you going to call? It would take days to meet up with you from San Diego. A boaters guide would be more helpful. I have one that shows the northern coast so you'd know where an accessible beach is. I forget the exact name, but could let you know tomrrow if you're interested, or fax you pages if you want. You don't want a situation where you've only got 2 more miles in you, nighttime is imminent, and then have 5 miles of rocky cliff with pounding surf to face instead. Historically, the beaches that have good access, have a road leading to them, and have been used by fishermen for 100 years to launch boats. So if you see a nice accessible beach to come into (versus a sheer cliff), then it is possible there will eventually be a person around by and by if you're really in trouble. It's possible that a boat will see you coming down the coast and you can make contact en route (hopefully the paddle waggle is understood by those fishermen) or take some flares.
Otherwise, you'll be coming into small settlements, like Laguna Manuela which has an American RV resident contingent and fishing co-op, or Scammons Lagoon which has a salt works, etc. On a 10-day Gulf expedition, we had a weather radio so we'd know the forecast (broadcasted from Texas and Mexico - some in Spanish, some in English), but you should know how to read the clouds, swells and wind by now. And definitely don't go out in bad weather and come in at the first sign of big sea and wait it out. I know there is a radio frequency that is used by yachts, based in Cabo I think. You might want to get something like that - not sure how that works wireless though - I'm clueless on electronics. I know chit can happen, but sometimes you just have to plan for the worst and then just do it. Always have 5 days of water with you and you can always catch a fish. Take 20 packs of Ramen noodles. Divine intervention plays a part too - and Baja CA is a very spiritual place.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 10:42 AM

all good advice, HOWEVER the 200 some miles from el rosario to santa rosalillita and on to GN is uninhabited EXCEPT for a few fishing shacks every 10-25 miles or so. that leaves a lot of places to have a problem and wait for days for someone to come along. making a call to tell your people where you are and what you need in an emergency is priceless, or $40/week rental.

[Edited on 6-2-2009 by woody in ob]

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 02:55 PM

you might want to take a look at this

http://www.carlosfiesta.com/
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2009 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
you might want to take a look at this

http://www.carlosfiesta.com/

NICE... That's worth reading, trip or not.

Jerry:cool:
seayak
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 05:06 PM

Still planning this trip...

New question...

What type of fuels are available that are with in walking distance of the beach? I'm working out which stove I'm taking with me and how much fuel I can expect to carry if I can't resupply.
grmpb
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2009 at 05:29 PM

a stove that will work with gasonline. not sure you would find anything else especially in the more remote areas
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.